Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

2000pt Raven Guard list for Newbie
Old 21 Mar 2010, 13:11   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default 2000pt Raven Guard list for Newbie

So im a long time 40k fan but ive never actually found the time to make an army. Well ive decided to try and make time.

A while back when the new Ork and SM codex came out, I got both of them figuring that after I had figured out what I wanted to make, army wise, I would get the Assault on Black Reach box to get the ball rolling.

I want to start two armies because...well nevermind..let me just post my army list and ill go into more detail below. Here is what I was thinking about doing:

HQ
- Kayvaan Shrike = 195
- Cato Sicarius (a.k.a. Veteran Command Sergeant Mardo Kane) = 200

Elite
- 5x Terminator Assault Squad = 200
- Dreadnought w/TL Lascannon + Drop Pod = 170

Troops
- 10x Tac Squad w/ Meltagun, Lascannon, Power Fist = 210
- 10x Tac Squad w/ Meltagun, Lascannon, Melta Bomb = 190
- 5x Scout Squad w/Sniper x3, Missile Launcher, Camo Cloaks + Sergeant Telion(a.k.a. Jarix Zato) = 150
- 5x Scout Squad w/Heavy Bolter, Camo Cloaks = 100
- 10x Scout Squad w/Sniper x3, Missile Launcher, Power Fist, Teleport Homer = 190

Fast Attack
- 10x Assault Squad w/Flamer x2, Storm Shield = 225
- 5x Scout Bike Squadron w/Power Fist, Locator Beacon, Cluster Mines = 170

Total: 2000

Ok so the theme of the army is precision, mobility, and "tricky". Shrike will of course infiltrate in with the Assault Marines, and Cato/Mardo will infiltrate in with one of the Tac squads.

I mentioned at the beginning that I wanted to start two armies.. ive got my ork army pretty much planned out, now im working on the SM side. I want two because (A) AoBR is a great pack for starting both ork and SM armies, and (B) Every experience ive had with other 40k players in real life has been a horribly awkward and dorky one, and id like the option to play against myself until I find a group that I fit in with hehe.

So any advice and feedback you can give a newbie would be very welcome.
Corbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2010, 01:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: 2000pt Raven Guard list for Newbie

First, welcome to the ranks of the Raven Guard! Glad to see that another has joined the flock.

As for your list, I like your thematic take on the Raven Guard list; most people use Shrike as little more than a "free" fleet source for the rest of their army. Also, the high number of Scouts in the list stands true to Raven Guard tactics. For the Tactical squads, if you're trying to make a thematic list, they should probably have drop pods (Deliverance has the production capacity of a Forge World for making drop pods).

Some unfortunate news though; Sicarius only grants a single tactical squad the infiltrate rule...he doesn't have it himself. While this means you can have a couple of squads in your opponent's face first turn, it means that Sicarius is stuck running with the boys in the 12" deployment zone. Also, what are the Assault Terminators armed with? I'm guessing Thunder Hammers, but if you're going for a thematic list then Lightning Claws are so much more appropriate. All around, though, not a bad list. I like the number of scouts in the force, but three named characters seems a little costly. Perhaps drop Sicarius, and pick up a chaplain.

Hive Fleet Omukade: 8/0/0
Raven Guard: 8/2/0

Latest Result: Wipeout victory for the Tyranids!

irishdelinquent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2010, 04:10   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks for the reply and the welcome

Yah I wasnt sure on Cato and whether he could infiltrate with the tac squad or not, thanks for clearing that up. Shouldnt be too much of an issue though since I can infiltrate one tac squad and put Cato with the other one.

As for a drop pod for the tac squad.. I could put one tac squad infiltrating and the other one with Cato in a drop pod.. would just need to fit the cost of a drop pod into my list, which is fairly cheap. I dunno though, what I worry about is getting all my stuff on the board in a timely manner. I view the Dreadnought and the Assault termies as big guns that I can bring to bear at key locations (which is why I went for the locator beacon and teleport homer)..so id like to be able to bring those in as soon as possible where I need them. I worry that putting the tac squad with cato in a drop pod means that I wont get as much use out of them since they may get delayed in their deployment due to the importance of getting the dreadnought and termies out there.

While I understand the thematic reasons for it.. I still think i could get by with having one squad of tac marines and cato on the board from the get go.

The assault terminators come with Lightning claws at base so im leaving them with that as that would be the thematic choice anyway.

As for the number of named characters.. Telion is pretty cheap for what he gives, and is great for an army that is gonna make use of alot of scouts...so im not too worried about his cost. I WAS a little worried about spending 395 points on just the two named HQ characters though, but my logic is that without both of them, my army is much less "Raven Guardy" ..so its a price im willing to work around and try to make work.

That being said... do you think that id be better off with the second tac squad in a drop pod? I have VERY VERY little experience actually playing the game so im fairly ignorant of this type of stuff.
Old 22 Mar 2010, 14:19   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

lol no worries about the characters...Shrike is a necessity, Telion is cheap, and Sicarius is rock hard. As for the drop pod, Sicarius can survive without it. He's also great giving a tactical squad with melta/las Tank Hunters. The army can do quite well as a fireline if deployed all at the same time, but with the majority of your army infiltrating or deep striking, a tactical squad hanging back might be too far back to be really effective.

Hive Fleet Omukade: 8/0/0
Raven Guard: 8/2/0

Latest Result: Wipeout victory for the Tyranids!

irishdelinquent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2010, 22:15   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

The more I look at my list here.. and compare it to other lists im seeing..the more I think that this just isnt a competitive route.

I dont seem to have enough units.. or enough firepower..

Thematically I like it but it doesnt bring a whole lot to the table.

The tac marines with Cato stick out like a soar thumb, and a single squad of scout bikers arent gonna be real useful to me im betting.

I want to make this work but im not sure how I can do it yet. I was considering another squad of termies with a land raider.. and having cato ride with them. But I fear that a single land raider would make too big of a target, and It also isnt thematic.

I also think id really like to add 1 or 2 thunderfire cannons. They are cheap and would provide some template attacks... and with the amount of scout and infiltrate that I have I think i could do a good job of drawing attention away from them. I also think that it is the one "big gun" that a raven guard force would be really inclined to make use of.. as its the kind of artillery that you could move around through jungle and rough terrain if you were doing guerrilla warfare type tactics.

Does anyone have any suggestions on making this list more competitive?
Old 25 Mar 2010, 23:07   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Here is my first attempt at a revised list.

HQ
- Kayvaan Shrike = 195
- Cato Sicarius (a.k.a. Veteran Command Sergeant Mardo Kane) = 200

Elite
- 5x Terminator Assault Squad = 200
- Dreadnought w/Heavy Flamer, TL Heavy Flamer + Drop Pod = 150
- Dreadnought w/Heavy Flamer, TL Heavy Flamer + Drop Pod = 150

Troops
- 10x Tac Squad w/ Meltagun, Lascannon, Power Fist, Melta Bomb = 215
- 10x Tac Squad w/ Meltagun, Lascannon, Power Fist, Melta Bomb, Teleport Homer + Drop Pod = 265
- 5x Scout Squad w/Sniper x3, Missile Launcher, Camo Cloaks + Sergeant Telion(a.k.a. Jarix Zato) = 150
- 5x Scout Squad w/Sniper x3, Heavy Bolter, Camo Cloaks = 100
- 5x Scout Squad w/Sniper x3, Missile Launcher, Camo Cloaks = 100

Fast Attack
- 5x Vanguard Veteran Squad w/Jump Packs, Lightning Claw = 175

Heavy Support
- Thunderfire Cannon = 100

Total: 2000

What do you think? More competitive?