hq Belial

troop deathwing terminators w/ deathwing banner, apothecary, assault cannon
troop deathwing terminators w/ assault cannon, chainfist

heavy land raider w/ storm bolter, extra armor, H.K. missile
heavy land raider w/ storm bolter, extra armor, H.K. missile

my deployment tactic is to use DWA to deepstrike 3 squads with belial in the one with the banner and apothecary, and have the other 2 mounted in land raiders

As it is so close to tournament day, I can't pick any new models and have them painted by the start of the tournament. my LGS is very 'nilla marines, tyranid, ork and IG heavy. I will be the only one playing a deathwing army.
Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2010, 09:07   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to crazyguy832
Default Re: 2k Deathwing tourney list

I approve. Nothing bad about any of your choices whatsoever; personal preference is a great thing.

;D

Good luck in the tourney, mate.

Oh, and you're always the only one playing Deathwing in a tourney. Oh, and be careful with deepstriking. Don't want to lose half your army before you get to shoot anything, haha. Against 'nids and orks you're probably going to want to castle up, shoot the crap out of them, and then tank shock with your raiders to push them away from your core (an extra turn of shooting is always a good thing).

Do It! ;D
5th edition stats (W/D/L)
Deathwing: 14/6/3
Tau: 5/0/3
Blood Angels (NEW): 10/1/3
Blood Angels (OLD): 27/5/10
Eldar: 10/0/1
Death Guard: 1/0/0
crazyguy832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2010, 11:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Mirage

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyguy832
I approve. Nothing bad about any of your choices whatsoever; personal preference is a great thing.

;D

Good luck in the tourney, mate.

Oh, and you're always the only one playing Deathwing in a tourney. Oh, and be careful with deepstriking. Don't want to lose half your army before you get to shoot anything, haha. Against 'nids and orks you're probably going to want to castle up, shoot the klkn out of them, and then tank shock with your raiders to push them away from your core (an extra turn of shooting is always a good thing).
thanks for the approval, i've had many lessons about bad deepstriking, playing daemons in the past and now using dwa.
there is one tactic one of the ork players use that makes me worry, it's using boss zagstruk's special deepstriking rule (allows it to assault the turn it deepstrikes) he takes 20 stormboyz and can usually vaporize any squad it's set upon, any tips?
Old 10 Mar 2010, 12:06   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The point of this tourney is to get everyone geared for 'ard boyz, the winner is going to get 500 points worth of prizes to gear them up, my 500 point upgrade is ...

2x Venerable dread w/plasma cannon, heavy flamer, and extra armor (taking the extra armor from the land raiders)
and a librarian in termi armor

a friend of mine said to keep going and get one LRC with an assault termi squad... Opinions?
Old 10 Mar 2010, 18:29   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to crazyguy832

I've always found it best to either focus on assault or shooting with deathwing. We simply lack the pure numbers (both in models and units) to bring a "balanced" list (shooty deathwing still has 4 fists per unit... that isn't bad, just slow). If you're going for assault at 2500 points, I'd recommend 4 raiders (2-3 crusaders, if not all 4 if you're completely insane ;D) chock full of assault termies. It's very one-sided, but hilariously awesome and funny when it works.

At 2500, virtually every army can kick a single assault termie squad's dyi. Horribly. Most marine armies at 2500 that have termies are going to be running a pair of 5x TH/SS in raiders and our assault termies have trouble beating that. You need massed lightning claws if you want any hope of winning assault against them.

I'd say the dreads could work. Keep them hidden behind your land raiders for the most part.

Instead of a librarian, though, I'd recommend an allied Grey Knight Brother-Captain. A bit over a hundred points will get you an unlimited range LD10 psychic hood, psycannon, and a nifty little S6 power weapon. The ld10 really is infinitely better than ld9 for the hood (~42% chance of negating ld10 psychic powers compared to 25%). He has one less wound, but that's never really been a big deal for me. He should pretty much never die from shooting (hide him in/behind the raiders, always inside a unit) and, if he hits close combat, it's generally either going to be an easy win or you're screwed anyways.

Do It! ;D
5th edition stats (W/D/L)
Deathwing: 14/6/3
Tau: 5/0/3
Blood Angels (NEW): 10/1/3
Blood Angels (OLD): 27/5/10
Eldar: 10/0/1
Death Guard: 1/0/0
crazyguy832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2010, 22:27   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Instead of a librarian, though, I'd recommend an allied Grey Knight Brother-Captain. A bit over a hundred points will get you an unlimited range LD10 psychic hood, psycannon, and a nifty little S6 power weapon. The ld10 really is infinitely better than ld9 for the hood (~42% chance of negating ld10 psychic powers compared to 25%). He has one less wound, but that's never really been a big deal for me. He should pretty much never die from shooting (hide him in/behind the raiders, always inside a unit) and, if he hits close combat, it's generally either going to be an easy win or you're screwed anyways.
a grey knight brother captain... i will have to take a gander at the daemonhunters codex....
Old 12 Mar 2010, 11:13   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage
Quote:
a grey knight brother captain... i will have to take a gander at the daemonhunters codex....
ok, so i really like the (relatively) low cost librarian, and here's my new list

hq Belial

HQ GREY KNIGHT BROTHER CAPTAIN W/ PSYCHIC HOOD

troop deathwing terminators w/ apothecary, assault cannon

heavy land raider w/ storm bolter
heavy land raider w/ storm bolter

Bringing my list to 1996 pts, still under my 2k list. I also happen to have a single grey knight terminator all painted up (i thought it was a sweet looking model, i did it for the hobbyist in me)