Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

 

Warhammer 40K Forum

1500 points of Crimson
Reply
Old 05 Mar 2010, 17:55   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stillwater, Oklahoma
Posts: 2,292
Default 1500 points of Crimson

There's a local con (Stillcon), and the points keep fluctuating. The 40k tournament was 2000 points last week, and now it's 1500. I've modified my 2000 points list (a lot) to make the change, and play with a new model I painted recently. I'd have loved to use Pedro, but he and his usually Sternguard bodyguard were too expensive for me to use and still run a half-company. Now that the boring part is out of the way, on to the list.

Crimson Fists -1500 points.

+++HQ+++
Chaplain Mulcahy -115 points
-Jump Pack

He does what chaplains do and runs with the assault squad. He's the new model I wanted to use.

+++ELITES+++
Dreadnaught Hierro -130 points
-Plasmacannon, Extra Armor

He runs escort/guard duty, as the situation requires. I don't know why I don't see more plasmacannon dreads, they're pretty rockin'.

+++TROOPS+++
Tactical Squad Dolor -195 points
-Missile Launcher, Flamer, Powerfist.
--Rhino -50 points
---Extra Armor


Tactical Squad Novato -195 points
-Missile Launcher, Flamer, Powerfist.
--Rhino -50 points
---Extra Armor

These two form the offence with the assault squad running behind. Normally I don't run extra armor, but I thought it was important to keep the offence moving.

Tactical Squad Fuego -200 points
-Plasmacannon, Plasmagun, Powerweapon.
--Rhino -35 points

This is the objective squatting squad. They hang out between the devastators and the Whirlwind, shooting from the top of their rhino. This means they can shoot over the Dev squad without granting a cover save, while the whirlwind shoots over them while semi-hidden behind the rhino. Terminators do not like this squad.

+++FAST ATTACK+++
Assault Squad Furia -215 points
-Powerfist

They run with the Chaplain and jump over the rhinos to hit things. If I need to go on the defensive, they can act as a countercharge unit.

+++HEAVY SUPPORT+++
Devastator Squad Lancero -230 points
-Missile Launcher (x4)

They form part of the firebase. I'm of the line of thinking that anything a Heavy Bolter Dev squad can do, a Missile Squad can do better. Decent anti tank and stacked templates can wreck any army's day, unless I get Dawn of War.

Whirlwind "Rynn's Rain" -85 points

I'm also of the line of thinking that anything a Heavy Bolter Dev Squad can do, a Whirlwind can do cheaper and without getting shot at, and while ignoring cover. I really love this thing, it does a good job.

And that's 1500 on the dot. I prefer half-company since that's what my collection lends itself to, but I'm open to any suggestions I can actually do. I don't have any drop pods, so I can't run a Pedro Drop Pod Stenrguard Spam list, nor would I want to.

Rate or hate, either's fine.

Also, whenever my pots get long, the window constantly scrolls up. It's really annoying to be unable to see what I'm typing. It scrolls up every time I hit a key. Just up to the next paragraph. This may be something to look into, that way I don't have to type up a post in word before pasting it onto the window.
__________________
R.I.P. Freddie Hope, May your memory never die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2010, 12:44   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,741
Default Re: 1500 points of Crimson

I've had similar problems with the posting window as well depending on which computer I'm using. You should be able to expand the reply window by clicking in the bottom right corner and dragging, as just making your window bigger solves the problem.

[hr]

Interesting list. It's refreshing to see such a conventional list that plays off one of the Marines' greatest strengths; adaptability. Too often we see one-trick ponies. Tactical Squads are always reliable and you've got a good number of them.

Personally, I prefer upping the threat of my Tacs by not going with the standard Missile/Flamer equipment. Heavy-weapon -wise, the Missile Launcher is a great choice but I'm a sucker for paying the extra points for a Plasma Cannon or Las, or just make a free swap for a Multi Melta. Regarding special-weaponry, however, I'm just not too hot on flamers. They never seem to accomplish much. I find the 5 points for a Melta to be well worth it. That's really personal preference more than anything else - I think I may be a secret Salamander at heart.

In any case, I really do like the list. You've got a lot of models that can each operate well on their own, equipped to take on the worst the galaxy has to offer. No blinged-out Elites or Heavy Supports. I wish you luck with it.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2010, 16:40   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stillwater, Oklahoma
Posts: 2,292
Default Re: 1500 points of Crimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter Master Seth
I've had similar problems with the posting window as well depending on which computer I'm using. You should be able to expand the reply window by clicking in the bottom right corner and dragging, as just making your window bigger solves the problem.

[hr]
Thanks, that makes things much easier.

Quote:
Interesting list. It's refreshing to see such a conventional list that plays off one of the Marines' greatest strengths; adaptability. Too often we see one-trick ponies. Tactical Squads are always reliable and you've got a good number of them.

Personally, I prefer upping the threat of my Tacs by not going with the standard Missile/Flamer equipment. Heavy-weapon -wise, the Missile Launcher is a great choice but I'm a sucker for paying the extra points for a Plasma Cannon or Las, or just make a free swap for a Multi Melta. Regarding special-weaponry, however, I'm just not too hot on flamers. They never seem to accomplish much. I find the 5 points for a Melta to be well worth it. That's really personal preference more than anything else - I think I may be a secret Salamander at heart.

In any case, I really do like the list. You've got a lot of models that can each operate well on their own, equipped to take on the worst the galaxy has to offer. No blinged-out Elites or Heavy Supports. I wish you luck with it.
Thanks again, this is probably the best comment I've ever gotten on a list.

On Multi-Meltas though, I have tried them in my 2000 pionts list. The lack of range really hurt in the final round against some Vendettas, and I quickly found that with the squad's powerfist, I usually charged things that got within 12". That may not always be the best idea, but I do feel I have short range Anti-tank with the powerfist, while the Missile Launcher gives the squad some range. That being said, if I had the points, every squad would be toting Plasma.

The flamers are kind of mixed; sometimes they're useful, sometimes not. Usually it's useful, since when the big hit comes it's usually the tacticals getting out and rapid firing (since they can't assault if the rhino moves), and the assault squad assaulting. The flamer really helps get in some extra wounds and turns the combat to the Assault squad's favor. It's not so great against hard things, but it's killer against hordes. Two squad like that can thin things out pretty nice, and then it gets hit by the assault squad. I tried it against a friend's necrons and it worked pretty well, but that's my only experiance with the tactic against power armor.
__________________
R.I.P. Freddie Hope, May your memory never die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crimson Fist 1500 list Kalshinko Space Marines Army Lists 2 02 Mar 2010 21:33
1750 Points - Drop Pod Crimson Fists *Revised sionnach19 Space Marines Army Lists 2 14 Oct 2008 20:13
1500 points help!!! j money Space Marines 2 21 Mar 2008 12:19
Jump from 1500 points to 2000 points (Yriel please advice) crazedmongoose2003 Eldar Army Lists 1 08 Jan 2008 13:57
1500 pts Crimson Fists Scyrex Deledras Space Marines Army Lists 1 19 Nov 2007 20:07