Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1500Pnt "Hammer"
Old 04 Mar 2010, 23:46   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to greatmaju
Default 1500Pnt "Hammer"

Lets go to 1500Pnts now. From my 1000Pnt list, I see that what I thought was a perfect list most probably would of been torn apart. I have a lot to learn.

HQ
Captain Alonso
  • Storm Bolter
  • Lightning Claw
  • Artificer Armour

Command Squad
  • Champion
  • Thunder Hammer
  • Melta
  • Power Fist

Chaplain Yanto
  • Terminator Armour (Storm Bolter)

Troops
Tactical Squad Airenze
  • +5 Men
  • Flamer
  • Heavy Bolter

Tactical Squad Redux
  • +5 Men
  • Flamer
  • Heavy Bolter

Scout Squad Shadows
  • 3X CCW + Bolt Pistol
  • Shotgun
  • Bolter
  • Teleport Homer

Elite
Terminator Squad Inevitable
  • Cyclone Missile Launcher

Terminator Assault Squad Hammer
  • 3X Lightning Claws
  • 2X Thunder Hammer

Heavy Support

Predator Tank Victus
  • Storm Bolter
  • Extra Armour

Devastator Squad Auz
  • 2X Lascannon
  • 2X Missile Launcher

General tactics: The scouts will get behind enemy lines, or somewhere important, then wait for the Assault termies with the Chaplain to teleport in. With the Termi armour, they should survive the shooting.

And on the scout loadout, I got a squad very cheap, but this was the only options (Only cost me 50p though)
I would like to get some snipers, but thats not a major issue at the moment.

*Note: may not be fun. contact your Apothecary before visiting.

Armies:
  • 6800 Pnts Templar Guardians (SM)
  • 1500 Pnts Necrons Deathguard.
  • 1000 Pnts Ork SKulGratz
  • ??? Imperial Guard/Inquisition.
greatmaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2010, 12:47   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: 1500Pnt "Hammer"

It's a very nice list, good job! But I do have a couple points to make.

Primarily, you don't have any transports! Now, you don't always need a transport when it comes to Tactical squads, even though it gives them awesome amounts of maneuverability. However, a melee unit like your Command Squad really deserves a Rhino or Razorback to party in.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2010, 13:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Your only chance of getting the terminators exactly where you want them is with your scouts. Chances are they will be torn apart in the first round of shooting to stop the termies deep striking somewhere nasty. Also, it doesn't always pay to rely on reserves rolls for them.
The tactical squads give you a decent firebase, but you would have to combat squad them to effectively use them as the flamer needs to be close and heavy bolters can't move and fire. This gives extra kill point opportunities of course. If you plan to hold back in cover and shoot, I would be tempted to drop the flamer in stead of an extra bolter marine, or use a plasma gun.

Commission?! PM me to discuss a price. Based in the UK.
[img width=650 height=74]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff127/glam_andy/Anubis.jpg[/img]

Fat bottomed girls make the rockin' world go round!
Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2010, 17:32   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I know its a lot to really on my scouts, but if I had a Land raider, I'd probably use that instead.

Of course, I'll see how useful combat squads are on sunday, but all 2 of my tactical squads are from starter sets, and one is from a carboot (Also where I got my Chaplain from)

And yes, it is a very immobile army, though I prefer to make a fluffy army, which this is. Or would be if I could have tacticals with chainswords.

My next purchase will probably be a Razorback, like you said, for my command squad. Thought they do have an amazing ability to survive enemy fire, from bolters to whirlwinds. But should it just have heavy bolters?

Thanks.

Armies:
Old 06 Mar 2010, 19:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Combat squads can be a double edged sword, on the one hand you get more tactical flexibility (especially with the weapon load out - heavies staying back, assaults going forward), and the ability to claim more objectives. However, they also count as another kill point, and with enough concentration of fire, 5 marines are not hard to take out. Though they stand much more of a chance if they stick to cover so they at least have a save (most of the time) if they are caught by high strength weaponry.

Not all marine armies need to be mechanised, it depends on how you visualise your game, what tactics you want to use and like you say, how you want to represent them fluffwise. I always pick an army based on how cool the models look and I never play competitively as I find it's just boring when you get all statistical with probabilities.
It's about the fun of the game, not the winning.

Something you could consider is a couple of drop pods. They are pretty inexpensive and can be equipped with locator beacons too. They also place more or less exactly where you want them and arrive on turn 1. Meaning your opponent will have to take out both of them and your scouts in turn 1 or 2 to prevent a LIKELY arrival of termies.
Of course this would mean dropping something (I don't take a command squad as I usually combat squad a tactical unit and put my captain with them in a rhino).

[img width=650 height=74]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff127/glam_andy/Anubis.jpg[/img]

Old 08 Mar 2010, 11:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Here's a new list

HQ
Captain Alonso
  • Storm Bolter
  • Lightning Claw
  • Artificer Armour

Chaplain Yanto
  • Terminator Armour

Troops
Tactical Squad Airenze
  • 10 Marines
  • Flamer
  • Heavy Bolter

Tactical Squad Redux
  • 10 Marines
  • Flamer
  • Heavy Bolter

Scout Squad Shadows
  • 3X CCW + Bolt Pistol
  • Shotgun
  • Bolter
  • Teleport Homer

Elite
Terminator Squad Inevitable
  • Cyclone Missile Launcher

Terminator Assault Squad Blades
  • 3X Lightning Claws
  • 2X Thunder Hammer

Dreadnought Iclus
  • Extra Armour

Heavy Support
Predator Tank Victus.
  • Storm Bolter
  • Extra Armour

Devastator Squad Imedite
  • 2X Lascannon
  • 2X Missile Launcher.

Basically dropped the command squad, and got a Dreadnought.[/list]

Armies:
Old 08 Mar 2010, 11:50   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

What weapons do the Dreadnought have? All I can see is a walker with Thick Armour shouting "Shoot me!"
Jasonsea212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2010, 11:56   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Will be able to take on tanks more effectively with the dreadnought's multi-melta. Though it will become a magnet for fire (mine always is). You will have to be sure to keep it to cover, easier with walkers as they are treated like infantry with difficult terrain.
I'm guessing your models are as they came for you, otherwise I'd probably advise dropping the heavy bolters in favour of missile launchers. Launchers are just awesome, very able at taking down armour and hordes alike. Plus when you are shooting with BS 4 it deviates less from the target if you scatter. ;D
Heavy bolters are good enough though. I love the scouts with heavy bolters - hellfire rounds are pure awesome. Template weapon that always wounds on a 2.+ ;D

One thing I'm going to start taking with my list is a devastator unit. A five man squad with 4 missile launchers is awesome. Though I only have enough models for three launchers at the moment, the signum snipe shot (BS5 for one member of the squad in favour of the sgt shooting) can be used by my lascannon to knock out characters or tanks from long range.

btw... dreadnought's normal payload is multi-melta and close combat weapon (plus smoke launchers and storm bolter).

Old 08 Mar 2010, 12:39   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I do know that at least one mission in the battle missions book will let you have reserves from any table edge, and my Dreadnought blew up a Tau transport (after rerolling an Immobilized due to Tau wargear) then killed 6 Tau fire warriors before they tried to run away. And my Dreadnought killed them all.

I would like to say that the Devastator team is effective, but they only immobilized and stunned an Ork truck twice, and killed one Chaos dreadnought.

As for the scouts, they are armed with what I have got. which only cost me 50p, so its a bargain. I plan on adding more, with missile launcher and Heavy bolter, and a sniper squad.

The only thing I don't like is my captain. He has enough firepower to join a Tactical squad, but might a Librarian be better?

Armies:
Old 08 Mar 2010, 14:30   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

You didn't kill the transport and the unit inside in one go right? If you did, you aren't supposed to.
Thing about the dread is, of your opponent has any sense, he will try and knock it out early, or at least stop it from doing anything for a turn. Simply stopping it fire (1 or 2 on the penetrating hit chart) is enough to disrupt it from running amok.
Saying that, if it's a one, leg it forward and hope to get into cc.
Devastators are pure nasty if you aren't unlucky and you use them right. They can wipe out units in one salvo.