2 Thunderwolves 100

HEAVY SUPPORT
Land Raider Crusader 275
Extra Armor, Multi-melta
[Carries all HQs and Inquisitor]

Land Raider Redeemer 250
Multi-melta

TOTAL POINTS: 1850

General setup is to keep most of the models relatively close to the Land Raider Crusader and direct my attention towards the central threat. Unload. Logan uses High King. Inquisitor reveals his Mandate. Blackmane roars. If I roll 5/6, I'm getting 5 extra attacks on each model that normally wouldn't be there in that unit alone.

That means if I charge (using the Assault Vehicle rules), I'm getting 21 attacks at Initiative 5, followed by 80 attacks at Initiative 4. If anything is left (or for some strange reason, my opponent manages to strike down enough of me), I've got an Eviscerator and duel Thunder Hammers (18 attacks total between them) after that. If I can manage to get all the attacks in without losing a model at the appropriate Initiative order, it comes out to a total of 119 attacks at Strength 5 or higher, none allowing armor saves.

The only unit that I calculated capable of standing up and possibly defeating this, even if the Space Wolves charged, was my cousin's Seer Council with Eldrad and Prince D*ck of Iyenden. Everything else seems to go down, 50 Guardsmen (even with Commissar Yarrick), 10 Terminators (of any variation, even with the addition of 2 characters such as Abbadon), C'tan and 20 Necrons with Lord using Res Orb and Warscythe, 20 Nob Bikers and 2 Warbosses (well, only if you include the LRC and the unit shooting before assaulting), 10 Howling Banshees w/Exarch (Executioner) and Jain Zar, and the list continues.

If the Mandate and High King reach out far enough, if I'm lucky, I might be able to use them for another unit (like crazy, +2 Attacks on the charge Blood Claws or Strength 5, Rending Thunderwolves).

For 2,000, I would remove the Thunderwolves for some more Blood Claws in a Drop Pod.

Games in the Past Month:
Tau: W-1, T-0, L-1
Witch H: W-0, T-0, L-0
Eldar: W-2, T-0, L-1
Guard: W-0, T-0, L-0
Other: W-2, T-1, L-0
Colonel Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2010, 05:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to HiveFleetGoliath
Default Re: Too Many Attacks? SW 1850

Wow... you have... 26 models. Boyz before Toyz is a good rule of thumb, especially for MEqs with a low model count already.

You need to take shooting into consideration when you calculate those hits. I mean, you'll 1-2 before you disembark and assault with those bloodclaws and Wolfguard. I can guarantee you that any army worth its salt will pop them, especially with them being the only thing on the board (except the thunder wolf calvary, but I'll just aim my 2 TLed lascannons at them for shits and giggles, because I'm so not moving for at least 2 turns.
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
At least a 5th one, so you can launch a legal squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
HiveFleetGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2010, 05:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Colonel Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiveFleetGoliath
Wow... you have... 26 models. Boyz before Toyz is a good rule of thumb, especially for MEqs with a low model count already.

You need to take shooting into consideration when you calculate those hits. I mean, you'll 1-2 before you disembark and assault with those bloodclaws and Wolfguard. I can guarantee you that any army worth its salt will pop them, especially with them being the only thing on the board (except the thunder wolf calvary, but I'll just aim my 2 TLed lascannons at them for shits and giggles, because I'm so not moving for at least 2 turns.

Again, I'm sure you're thinking about a specific army, CSM.

And yes, 26 models that get over 200 attacks on the charge combined.

Games in the Past Month:
Old 03 Mar 2010, 05:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to HiveFleetGoliath

Over 200 attacks. Cool. You will kill a unit or 2 a turn. And every single shooting phase you will be left out in the open. I don't see how my post had ANYTHING to do with CSM either.
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
At least a 5th one, so you can launch a legal squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
HiveFleetGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2010, 07:32   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Very dangerous and nice gimmick, but it will die very quickly after the first fight if your opponent is packing any sort of decent weaponry or speed.

HiveFleetGoliath, you are absolutely right in your assessment. I agree with you that you need more numbers.
I could see armies as low as 1250 points taking this out if one wasn't careful. Tooled up for it, maybe even lower.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2010, 08:35   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Lord Zambia

Its alot of attacks, but if you like sheer amounts of attacks, play a green tide list. In 1850 you could easily have 180 boyz with sluggas and choppas (720 attacks on the charge) as well as 5 battlewagons and a few nob squads. Turning up with 5 AV14 vehicles will distract the high strength (usually template) weapons from the 180 boyz. I think this is harder to stop than your 25 man team :P

From a personal victory, i know that wolves hate Tau. Hammerhead glances Land raider on 4+, wrecks a land raider on 4+...transports no issue. Then its plasma/fusion/cyclic ion blaster time, along with some markerlight support, some vespid speed bumps and some sniper drones. Plenty of AP3 for everyone.

Zambia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhontauel
4 lightening claws LMAO. wouldn't the inquisition get involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrino
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire at Will
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Lord Zambia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2010, 12:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Zambia
Its alot of attacks, but if you like sheer amounts of attacks, play a green tide list. In 1850 you could easily have 180 boyz with sluggas and choppas (720 attacks on the charge) as well as 5 battlewagons and a few nob squads. Turning up with 5 AV14 vehicles will distract the high strength (usually template) weapons from the 180 boyz. I think this is harder to stop than your 25 man team :P

Orks can't take 10 melta weapons in a single unit, nor do they have a 3+ armor save.

Hmm, might consider that Rune Priest afterall.

Games in the Past Month:
Old 03 Mar 2010, 12:41   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

I'm going to have to agree with the above. You're putting a huge amount of points into just one unit by attaching all of the HQs to it and throwing them in a Land Raider. Yes, you will annihilate ANYthing on the charge, and then opponent will rebound. I wouldn't really mind what you killed, I'd still have an army's worth of models (minus that one royally screwed unit) with which to shoot at you next turn. And then assault you, even.

Personally, I'd go for a lot of attacks by spreading them throughout the army. Lots of Blood Claw and Wolf Guard units of various shapes and sizes and equipment with different characters attached. I feel this list is a one-trick pony and won't do very well. Personally, I'd throw some sacrificial Gants at your mega-unit, watch them get eaten up (or, failing that, simply blow the Land Raider up), and then assault the unit with every MC and CC unit at my disposal. Oh yes, and Paroxysm them first. That would be quite hilarious.

I suppose my point has already been made though. It's just one scary unit that can be avoided at a whim by mechanized armies, or completely overwhelmed by others through a combination of shooting and close combat. Though I naturally feel like that's overkill to worry so much about one unit in an opponent's army, this one unit is pretty much over half the total points of the army and well worth the time spent killing it off.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2010, 13:11   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter Master Seth
I'm going to have to agree with the above. You're putting a huge amount of points into just one unit by attaching all of the HQs to it and throwing them in a Land Raider.
This army is specifically designed to destroy my cousin's Seer Council once and for all, and any other army that has a super unit of cheese in it.

Logan actually nullifies psychic powers directed at his unit on a 4+. I've tried Paroxysm on this before and learned that the hard way. The original version actually had Grey Knight Terminators in a Retinue with a Grand Master, and a Rune Priest (which is still a lot of attacks).

But if you threw every MC and CC unit at your disposal, you're in for a loss. Every single Wolf Guard has a Frost Blade and combi-melta (total ten 1-shot meltaguns), did I forget to mention that?

Games in the Past Month:
Old 03 Mar 2010, 14:24   #10 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Logan? 4+? How? His Wolf Tail Talisman nullifies Psychic Powers on a 5+.

Anyway, people...

You should let Marksman has his list; it's purely to be used against his cousin's Seer Council only. So be it.

And oh, btw...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Marksman
But if you threw every MC and CC unit at your disposal, you're in for a loss. Every single Wolf Guard has a Frost Blade and combi-melta (total ten 1-shot meltaguns), did I forget to mention that?
Mmmm......yeah...

Wait until your cousin's Banshees get a hold on them.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote