Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Quasi-wolfwing 2k
Old 14 Feb 2010, 20:38   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Quasi-wolfwing 2k

This is the first Space Wolves list I've posted, all sorts of criticism is welcome. Thanks.

HQ

Logan Grimnar*
= 275 pts.

Elites

Wolf Scouts(x5)
-Sniper Rifles(x5)
= 90 pts.

Troops

Wolf Guard(x6)
-Terminator Armor, Cyclone Missile Launcher and Storm Shield*
-Terminator Armor, Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield (x4)
-Arjac Rockfist
-Drop Pod
= 553 pts.

Wolf Guard(x5)
-Terminator Armor, Assault Cannon and Wolf Claw
-Terminator Armor, Combi-Melta and Wolf Claw (x2)
-Terminator Armor, Combi-Flamer and Wolf Claw
-Terminator Armor, Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield
-Drop Pod
= 295 pts.

Wolf Guard(x5)
-Drop Pod
= 295 pts.

Wolf Guard(x5)
-Drop Pod
= 295 pts.

Heavy Support

Long Fangs (x6)
-Missile Launcher (x3)
-Plasma Cannon (x2)
-Drop Pod
= 195 pts.

Models marked with an asterisk are attached to the Long Fangs.

Grand Total: 1,998 points

I've use this list a few times in games with relative success, albiet my opponent is quite clever. But, nonetheless it's a really fun list to play. I've not had a chance to use the Wolf Scouts yet, I add them to the list to utilize their improved ballistic skill, as well as; a small helping of long ranged support fire. As for the rest of the army, it should really be self-explanitory. Any suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
MR.eeder23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2010, 11:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Quasi-wolfwing 2k

Hi,
Looks great and I think ikdlr will probably have more to say about wolfwing than I will, but anyway;

The one thing I have noticed is that I think that these : Terminator Armor, Combi-Melta and Wolf Claw (x2) are illegal as you either have two wolf claws or one wolf claw one Combi weapon.

The long fangs look really effective at taking down pretty much anything you want. Plenty of blasts for hordes and low Ap for other tougher enemies.

However why are you putting Logan in with the Long fangs? It just seems a waste of all the special rules such as : Living legend and High King.

In my opinion he would do much better in with some terminators.

Also the squads of 6 cannot fit into drop pods so the first squad can not come into the battle in their drop pod as they would take up 12 places in a 10 place pod.

Just my input.
W o K
Old 15 Feb 2010, 15:33   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

In reference to the Wolf Claws, I was trying to note that there would be two of those models in the squad; each having a combi-melta and a single wolf claw. As for Logan, he's with the long fangs so I can make use of the High King special rule and grant them relentless so they can either: a) be relentless, thus fire the turn they enter from dropping; or, b)become tank hunters. But, living legend has an effective range of 18 inches, so that's not really a concern. To address you're concern on the squad of 6 terminators, one of them is allocated to the longfangs squad for some extra umph, so to speak; which also fills every drop pod to capacity.

Thanks for the response.
Old 15 Feb 2010, 16:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.eeder23
In reference to the Wolf Claws, I was trying to note that there would be two of those models in the squad; each having a combi-melta and a single wolf claw. As for Logan, he's with the long fangs so I can make use of the High King special rule and grant them relentless so they can either: a) be relentless, thus fire the turn they enter from dropping; or, b)become tank hunters. But, living legend has an effective range of 18 inches, so that's not really a concern. To address you're concern on the squad of 6 terminators, one of them is allocated to the longfangs squad for some extra umph, so to speak; which also fills every drop pod to capacity.

Thanks for the response.
Ahhhh cool, I didn't think of that so thanks for telling me.

I didn't notice the asterisk and the cyclone missile launcher should add a bit more firepower to that squad.

However I still feel that Logan would be better used at the front lines killing things, but that is my own personal opinion and if he works for you then that is all good.

You also have plenty of firepower to take down LR and LRBT's with your large quantity of combi-meltas. Also the flamers will be good to flame the enemy before assaulting so IMO this is a very solid list.

Although one other thing is that I would personally use a rune priest instead of Arjac rockfist as I think the RP could do more damage with JOTWW, but again it is my own personal opinion and you may well feel differently.

W o K
Old 15 Feb 2010, 22:10   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

First off, you know how ludicrous your Relentless argument is? You're paying 275 points for Relentless or Tank Hunters? Also, how much moving do you really do with Long Fangs? You get them into position and then you essentially leave them there the game. Logan is much, much better suited to accompany a Wolf Guard unit; he wouldn't be a completely useless point sink there.

Secondly, I'd remove your Arjac Rockfist. Sure he's got a great set of rules and the ability to throw a hammer at S10 AP1 is badass, but he's really not worth the points. You could spend them much more effectively elsewhere. Like buying a Drop Pod for your Long Fangs to get them into position quicker. Hell, you could purchase a whole new squad (albeit not as kit out as your's) with the points you've spent on Arjac.

Other than that, it looks pretty solid. Personal tastes tell me to switch your Assault Cannons for Cyclone Missile Launchers, but that is not as mandatory as putting Logan into an assault-oriented squad or, to an extent, removing Arjac, because you've got anti-tank pretty much covered with your Long Fangs.
Warsmith Tyranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Feb 2010, 04:41   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

The way I am starting to look at Arjac is that he is like an extra HQ. To get a similar wolf lord/battle leader it costs about the same but he takes and elite slot. He isn't an IC so isn't an extra kill point and has some even better rules then a normal HQ equiped to be the same and would end up costing less. Granted he has less wounds then a wolf lord but when compared to the battle leader arjac wins hands down.
space wolf bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2010, 22:15   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
He isn't an IC so isn't an extra kill point and has some even better rules then a normal HQ equiped to be the same and would end up costing less. Granted he has less wounds then a wolf lord but when compared to the battle leader arjac wins hands down.
Exactly, the bonus attack, rerolls, and strength 5 isn't bad either; not to mention, he's eternal.

Quote:
You're paying 275 points for Relentless or Tank Hunters?
No, I'm paying 275 points to take Wolf Guard as troops. Duh! :P

Quote:
Also, how much moving do you really do with Long Fangs? You get them into position and then you essentially leave them there the game.
Actually, I move them quite a bit with relentless in effect. Effectively, I tend to use them as snipers: fire a shot, then find a new position. The added mobility has a tendency to increase the squads longevity. And has saved me from numerous headaches incurred due to my brother's love of outflanking genestealers.

Quote:
Logan is much, much better suited to accompany a Wolf Guard unit; he wouldn't be a completely useless point sink there.
I find Logan to be just as efficient with the Long Fangs as he is with Wolf Guard. The point you have failed to see though, is that Logan can leave the squad at almost any given time. Not so useless as one may think, seeing as though Arjac and his Wolf Guard friends are normally deployed near each other. I intially attach him to the long fangs, so they don't have to waste a turn of shooting because they deployed via drop pod.