Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

13th Company Space Wolves 1K anti tyranids
Old 09 Feb 2010, 16:42   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default 13th Company Space Wolves 1K anti tyranids

I have the lord modeled as a massive wolf man with a shield, reaching for a sheathed sword. I took the talismans etc because I had 15 random points.
Wolf Lord: Thunder Wolf Mount, Frost Blade, Storm Shield, Wolf Tooth Necklace, Wolf tail talisman Saga of the Wolkin
230pts
Fellow player bought a Trigon. I thought it would be best to keep it at arm's length.
Rune Priest: Terminator armor, Chooser of the Slain
130pts
I can roll 3+ invulns all day and night. He has served me well thus far and makes a great counter charger.
Lone Wolf: Thunder hammer, Storm Shield
80pts
These Grey Hunters are the core of my army. I love their flexibility and general power. As for why not Blood Claws? Grey Hunters have bolters on top of close combat gear and higher WS and BS. That and there are no bloodclaws in the 13th company.
Grey Hunters(x10): 2x Melta guns, power weapon
170pts
170pts
Init 5 meat shield for my Lord. Laugh if you want but thus far these wolves have done wonderfully in every game for their points.
Fenrisian Wolves(x10)
80pts
Pure versitility. Sure they aren't the best anti tank or anti infantry, but they help against hordes and 5 is alot of frag or krak missiles.
Long Fangs(x6): 5x Missile Launchers
140pts
Old 11 Feb 2010, 21:39   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: 13th Company Space Wolves 1K anti tyranids

No thoughts, comments or criticisms?
Old 22 Feb 2010, 14:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Mike, no-one has replyed because it is not a good set-out for writing your list, it is all over the place and even I find it hard to go through but anyway.

Wolf Lord, good because he will run with the wolves and so he has cover, but have you thought of replaceing the lone wolf and fenrisian wolves for some Thunderwolves? they cause a terrible mess.

Rune Priest, I think points are wrong, Terminator armour can't be 20pts? if it is then good.
EDIT: sorry, my fault it is right :-\

Grey Hunters, good but seeing as they are the only anti-tank, people have lot's of vehicles these days and try to blast the y'xa'uk out of them.

Fenrisian Wolves, Cheap as dirt and still do they're job, I personally like them but just be careful with them is all I will say...

Long Fangs, Perfect!

Hope this helps?
Jasonsea212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2010, 03:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

It does; I don't run the Thunderwolves because there are no real models for them other than canis wolfborn

I tend to Deploy in cover with grey hunter squads supporting each other, except the plasma which babysit an objective in larger games and my long fangs. The Wolves and Lord go on ahead while the Lone Wolf shields the 2 other grey hunter squads
Old 23 Feb 2010, 13:14   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Renzokuken

Quote:
Wolf Lord: Thunder Wolf Mount, Frost Blade, Storm Shield, Wolf Tooth Necklace, Wolf tail talisman Saga of the Wolkin
230pts
I'd drop the wolf tooth necklace, and wolf tail talisman. For starters the wolf lord is WS6 meaning he's going to be hitting most stuff on a 3+ anyway so the necklace is a bit of a waste. Secondly the talisman, I'd only keep if you see alot of psykers wherever you game, against tyranids, I'd be tempted to keep it.

Quote:
Rune Priest: Terminator armor, Chooser of the Slain
130pts
Looks good, I'm personaly a huge fan of the chooser of the slain. Not so sure about the terminator armour though, if your using him in assault then by all means keep it, if your hanging back on an objective casting spells, stick him in a grey hunter squad or some decent cover and lose the terminator armour.

Quote:
Lone Wolf: Thunder hammer, Storm Shield
80pts
Not so sure about giving a lone wolf a storm shield, baring in mind you actualy want them to die and they have eternal warrior and feel no pain as standard. If your fighting an army with alot of lascannons or other generaly nasty auto wound buisness then by all means go for it. I'd have to agree with jasonsea though that you'd be better off swapping out the this and the fenrisian wolves for some thunderwolves.

Quote:
170pts
170pts
Not a huge fan of giving grey hunters meltaguns, should they have to sit back on an objective (which in 2/3 of the rulebook missions they will) They're almost totaly wasted. I'd replace at least some of them with plasma guns.

Quote:
Fenrisian Wolves(x10)
80pts
Looks good, decent meat shield to acompany your lord, not a massive fan of them myself but I can see their usefullness. I'd have to agree with jasonsea though that you'd be better off swapping out the lone wolf and these for some thunderwolves.

Quote:
Long Fangs(x6): 5x Missile Launchers
140pts
Good all round loadout, I tend to switch 3 ML's out for HB's against hordes.

Quote:
Fellow player bought a Trigon. I thought it would be best to keep it at arm's length.
Chooser of the slain only prevents infiltrate, and I believe a trigon deepstrikes.
Renzokuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2010, 15:29   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

One of their psychic powers stops deep strike
Old 23 Feb 2010, 23:17   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Renzokuken

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeH
One of their psychic powers stops deep strike
Nope, tempest's wrath only means he'd be deepstriking into difficult and dangerous terrain, and would only have to roll on the dangerous terrain table as it's not impassible. He wouldn't be unable to deepstrike, or even mishap. It's a nice deterent, but it's far from a full preventitive measure.
Renzokuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2010, 02:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Crap- I'm thinking of drop pods since they manuever out of dangerous terrain
Old 24 Feb 2010, 19:05   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

If it is such a problem getting a hold of thunderwolves, I was thinking of just finding some model wolves online and just slap some Space wolves on top as I have plenty of bodies and heads left-over, much cheaper then 5 canis wolfborns and more unique, :P
Jasonsea212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2010, 01:57   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Right now I have a converted Warpwolf from Hordes as my Wolf Lord and my Fenrisian wolves have been more than enough