Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New to the site, need help for Space Wolf list!
Old 20 Jan 2010, 01:56   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default New to the site, need help for Space Wolf list!

Hello fellow Space Wolves players, I am quite new to this site and am in need of some assistance. I am not really "down" with all the lingo yet so hopefully everyone can bare with me here...
There is a 2000 point tournament coming up at a local store near where I live and I am really excited and interested in participating in it! So I was hoping I could put my army list up for some advice, here it goes:

HQ - Total 110pts

Rune Priest w/ chooser of the slain living lightning and Murderous Hurricane - 110pts

ELITES - Total 723pts

6x Wolf Scouts w/ plasma gun, plasma pistol 1x Wolf Guard w/ combi-melta and melta bombs - 148pts

Land Raider w/ multi-melta - 260pts

(all of this is one unit with the LR as the transport, heavy hitting squad)

TROOPS - Total 716pts

9x Grey Hunters w/ wolf guard, melta, frost blade, plasma pistol (wolf guard), power weapon, and rhino - 237pts

9x Grey Hunters w/ MoTW (same as above) -242pts

9x Grey Hunters (same as above) - 237pts

FAST ATTACK - Total 180pts

1x Land Speeder Typhoon w/ heavy bolter - 90pts

1x Land Speeder Typhoon (same as above) - 90pts

HEAVY SUPPORT - Total - 450pts

2x Vindicator w/ dozer blades - 240pts

6x Long Fangs w/ 2 lascannon, 3 missile launchers w/ razorback w/ heavy bolter - 210pts

TOTAL - 1731pts

I love this army selection but as I said I need 2000 points and I am a bit over. Hopefully someone can help me, it would be greatly appreciated! Anyone can throw their 2 cents in. Hope to see some comments soon! Thanks guys, and I hope I got all the points right!

New updated list, what do you think?

Space Wolves for LIFE!
hyjacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jan 2010, 14:26   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: New to the site, need help for Space Wolf list!

I think the easiest way to shave off some points is to drop vehicle upgrades, which are often very expensive for their actual usefulness. Losing the extra armor upgrades gets you 60 points.

Secondly, You can downgrade some long fangs lascannons for missile launchers instead. They have the same purpose, just the lascannon is slightly better at it. Doing that to one of your long fangs squads brings your total down 45 more points.

With the loss of extra armor, and a switchout of three lascannons for missile launchers, now you are slightly under your 2000 target, with 12 points left to buy a couple of little knickknacks of wargear for a character or a sergeant or a wolf guard or whatever, or (even better) second special weapons for the grey hunters squads, or whatever you feel like doing with 12 points.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jan 2010, 15:19   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thank you, I appreciate the advice! Over the years I have learned that having extra armor on my rhinos is very helpful, but I can understand not having it on the land raider. I will rework my list with missle launchers and that goodness! Thank you, updated list coming soon!

Updated!

Space Wolves for LIFE!
Old 20 Jan 2010, 15:55   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

If the list works for you switch the siege shield for a dozer blade on your vindicator.

Also why not give your grey hunters a second special weapon?
space wolf bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jan 2010, 16:04   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I will work on the list, but I have to head to work...I will check later tonight! Thanks guys!

Space Wolves for LIFE!
Old 20 Jan 2010, 17:09   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Alternatively, you could also take out your Ajrac. Sure he's a nifty character and all, and being able to throw his so called Godhammer is a nice touch, but I don't think he's worth the cost. He is an upgrade for a unit, after all.
Warsmith Tyranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2010, 02:33   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

New list, hopefully it is balanced. Added another HQ choice and dropped Arjac. Lemme know what you guys think, I greatly appreciate it!

Space Wolves for LIFE!
Old 21 Jan 2010, 04:40   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Just a note when writing your list in the future the wolf guard attached to your greyhunters are actually part of the wolf guard unit. I didn't even realise you had a wolfguard at first... In this case you would be better off just getting an extra greyhunter in each squad instead of the wolf guard. You lose 1 Ld but the extra melta/plasma/flamer you get is probablly better then 1 attack from the wolf guard or the leadership increase.

Greyhunters are one of your more solid all around units in the army. They are probably one of the most reliable basic close combat troops you can get in the game especially for their modest cost.

If you don't own the models already I would switch out the land raider for a crusader. I keep kicking my self for not buying the crusader.
space wolf bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2010, 04:43   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Have you thought about running some thunder wolf calvary there amazing stat line, and can assault almost first turn with he correct rolls of fleet. Now my personal opinion i would take out a vindicator to me there to easy to blow up and turn into 135 pt storm bolter, I personally do not like sky claws and that should give you enough points for some thunder wolves. Other wise looks like a very solid list. gotta love grey hunters. (also space wolf bob beat me to the punch with pointing out the different powers). Also just checked out the point totals if you take out the vindy and the sky claws you can take 3 thunder wolf calvary with storm shield and thunder hammer. What this enables you to do is have 3 strenght 10 attacks that can charge 24 inchs and since they are all in seperate squads your oppenent would have to spend shooting multiple squads a one model enabling you to attack with the rest of your army. Also once again space wolf bob is right i agree with him on the wolf guard, and the land raider, however with the current nid codex being very hoard friendly you might want to get a redeemer.
Old 21 Jan 2010, 17:07   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'm feeling a little crazy today so I'll be giving you my two coppers worth. Caution Read on with care!

If you're not going to attach WG to each GH unit, drop the extra armor and add in one more GH to each unit. This gives the free weapon. Extra Armor to a AV11 vehicle is not going to do much, your better off with 1 more GH like these guys are stating and getting that free weapon. (Extra armor is almost half the price of the vehicles)

Skyclaws are OK, but you need only around 8 BCs, so drop two and add the Powerfist in there. (That way you can knock some Nids back into orbit with it) These would be a Killer unit if they could carry Meltabombs but they can't. They're too crazy !

This is something I was thinking of using myself:
Your WGs TDA guys, yeah sure that's a heavy hitting unit but I love Frostblades, How about dropping two Hammers and going with two Frostblades and then if your feeling crazy like me, use those extra points for either Combi-Melta or Combi-Plasma guns all at the same price.

and the last item, Your Rune Priests are just extra bodies taking up space in the back, drop one and add two Razorbacks to each Long Fang Unit and add a Chooser of Slain to keep those nasty Infiltrators 18" away. Now those units are mobile and you now have more guns and vehicle running around.

WT

If you have a specific question just ask or PM me. I have been using a 2K list for a while.
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Wolf-Tau is offline   Reply With Quote