Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1500pt. Drop-pod Marines
Old 18 Jan 2010, 02:36   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default 1500pt. Drop-pod Marines

I want this army to be competitive but not out of place at my local gaming shop. All of my unit selections were made with consideration to my chapter's background and so I hope I have achieved a balance between a fluffy list and a purely competitive one. If any of you feel that my list leans too closely to either end of that spectrum please let me know.

Headquarters: 175pts. 11.7%

Chapter Master Pedro Kantor 175
He joins the sterngaurd squad with the locator beacon

Elites: 850pts. 56.9%

Terminator Squad [5] 210
heavy flamer
chainfist
They will deep strike with the aid of the locator beacon providing anti-horde through the heavy flamer and anti-tank through power fists and the chainfist

Sternguard Veterans [10] 325
5 combi melta
combi flamer
drop pod
locator beacon
They will drop into the center of the action and rapid fire into anything close

Sternguard Veterans [10] 315
5 combi melta
combi flamer
drop pod
They will drop down next to the other sterngaurd squad and also rapid fire into close targets

Troops: 470pts. 31.4%

Tactical Squad [10] 235
meltagun
multi-melta
power fist
drop pod
They will drop onto an objective and pop nearby tanks

Tactical Squad [10] 235
meltagun
multi-melta
power fist
drop pod
Same as above

Total: 1495

The two sternguard squads make up the first wave and, I hope, can handle almost anything between their various bolter rounds, 5 melta shots, and a flamer template. The tactical squads come in next and sit on objectives or combat squad with the powerfist, meltagun, and multi-melta in one squad that will tank hunt. The terminators will deepstrike into the heart of the battle using the locator beacon and can draw fire away from the sternguard squads. I have 5pts. still to work with and am considering moving things around to give the sternguard sergeant in squad Pedro joins a power weapon.

I want to be confident in my list before I construct and paint the army so any feedback is greatly appreciated

Old 18 Jan 2010, 05:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: 1500pt. Drop-pod Marines

I am not a very familiar with Nilla marines but I will give you a critique as an opponent. I will try to take out your only two troop choices. Since they will come down in separately, is should be easy for me to take them out. Unless Sternguard count as troops but I don't think they do.

In other words, you need at least three troops. For Drop Pod armies you do need more troops as they will come down separately.

Multi-Meltas, unless those guys are Relentless, I would get rid of those. Your troops will most likely be moving preventing you from using them. Most people use Heavy Bolters in there as they are cheap and have great range, next in line are Missile Launchers.

WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Wolf-Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2010, 05:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well, he will be able to combat squad them, splitting them up into 4 5-man squads... Plus, with the addition of Pedro, the Sternguard can capture objectives, which is primarily the main asset of the Troop slot.
Warsmith Tyranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2010, 07:27   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Not bad, just looked Pedro up, he makes them scoring units. Very Nice HQ ( Nasty little bugger, he needs to die fast! )

I am not much for fluff, but I do like competitive lists. Thanks 起ikdlr for the info. That really changes everything the Troop thing but the MM thing I still stand behind but not as much as you now have units that can move to take objectives while they sit and shoot.
46 Marines in 1.5K is very good.

The only thing I could think of is maybe changing the Terminators to CC ones. It is a good list and you really need to play it but I think Marines need a dedicated CC troop and I think the Terminators changed to CC would work. I have seen Terminators with Hammers and Storm Shields really tear up units and I think you need to be prepared for such a unit.

WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Wolf-Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2010, 07:34   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Lord Zambia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 起ikdlr
Well, he will be able to combat squad them, splitting them up into 4 10-man squads... Plus, with the addition of Pedro, the Sternguard can capture objectives, which is primarily the main asset of the Troop slot.
splitting 2 x 10 man squads means 4 x 5 man teams doesnt it? :P

Anti11es, your list is alright,but remember whatever starts on the board will have to deal with 1500pts of shooting. Drop pod lists like this are easy because you shoot at the 2 squads that are ther in turn 1, then when 2 drop in turn 2 you do the same, and so on. You need to ensure that your opponent has trouble defeating the first wave, when seconds arrive. THis is the key to a good drop pod army (and also tau Positional relay armies, dark eldar webway portal armies, etc) You need your opponent to struggle to kill what comes out.

Someone in my area runs a very very good 1500pt marine drop pod list. This includes 2 ven. Dreads. He too starts on the field with sternguard, but he relies on pure bolter power and marine assaulty tactics rather than fielding dozens of multimelta weapons and combi weapons. First turn you are looking at a ven.dread, marine squad and sterngard, then second your against another wave of just that, plus whatever you dont kill in the first. That is how to play

Zambia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhontauel
4 lightening claws LMAO. wouldn't the inquisition get involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrino
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire at Will
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Lord Zambia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2010, 13:14   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I took your suggestions into consideration and revised my list. Here is the revised list:

Headquarters: 175pts. 11.7%

Chapter Master Pedro Kantor 175

Elites: 885pts. 59%

Terminator Assault Squad [5] 200
5 thunder hammers and storm shields

Ironclad Dreadnought 190
heavy flamer (replaces storm bolter)
drop pod
locator beacon

Ironclad Dreadnought 180
drop pod

Sterngaurd Veterans [10] 315
5 combi melta
combi flamer
drop pod

Troops: 440pts. 29.3%

Tactical Squad [10] 220
meltagun
multi-melta
drop pod

Tactical Squad [10] 220
meltagun
multi-melta
drop pod

I am sure that I want to switch from regular termies to assault ones but I am not totally sure about the ironclad dreadnoughts. I lose a large shooty scoring unit by droppin the second unit of sternguard and dreadnoughts do not fit with my chapters background as much as sternguard. When deploying the first wave (of my original list) I would make sure to focus on a small piece of his army. I would drop both units onto one flank and I would use the drop pods as cover from shooting coming from the other flank. This way I would only have to face the shooting or assault of whatever was left of his flank after 20 sternguard rapid fired into it.

What are your thoughts on the new list? better? worse? I am happy to keep revising my list until I reach a competitive list that also fits my chapters backround.
Old 18 Jan 2010, 14:13   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Haha nice catch, Lord Zambia :P. Edited.

Well, the first thing that caught my attention is the fact that your list is illegal; you are not allowed 4 Elite choices, even though Pedro Kantor makes Sternguard count as a scoring unit.
Warsmith Tyranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2010, 20:09   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to major_rawne02

Firstly, as 起ikdlr said, the list is illegal.
Secondly, you're spending far too much on your elites. You need to consider more carefully how your list will fare in battle.

I try to avoid having a completely drop-pod/deep strike oriented force (although I realise that's the theme here :P). The reason for this is that you only have half of your force on the field to begin with, it's the reason the Chaod Daemons codex is so aweful. For example:

- Turn one you have 50% of your force in play, the enemy concentrates their attacks and kills 25%
- Turn two another 25% of your force turn up (4+ for reserves turn 2). Repeat above.

And so on...

The problem with creating a plan where you drop right on top of the enemy has two big drawbacks.
1. You can never bring a decent amount of fire to bare against combat-oriented enemies.
2. You allow the enemy to dictate the pace of battle; he may be reacting to your deep strikes, but he can initiate combats, while you can't.

[hr]

If you create a list where 50% of your force starts on the ground then you can use the other half to hit key points in the enemy line; heavy weapons squads, artillery and such.
major_rawne02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2010, 22:07   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 起ikdlr
Haha nice catch, Lord Zambia :P. Edited.

Well, the first thing that caught my attention is the fact that your list is illegal; you are not allowed 4 Elite choices, even though Pedro Kantor makes Sternguard count as a scoring unit.
Thankyou for catching that, I just got carried away adding things and forgot about the restriction!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik_torgeddon
Firstly, as 起ikdlr said, the list is illegal.
Secondly, you're spending far too much on your elites. You need to consider more carefully how your list will fare in battle.

I try to avoid having a completely drop-pod/deep strike oriented force (although I realise that's the theme here :P). The reason for this is that you only have half of your force on the field to begin with, it's the reason the Chaod Daemons codex is so aweful. For example:

- Turn one you have 50% of your force in play, the enemy concentrates their attacks and kills 25%
- Turn two another 25% of your force turn up (4+ for reserves turn 2). Repeat above.

And so on...

The problem with creating a plan where you drop right on top of the enemy has two big drawbacks.
1. You can never bring a decent amount of fire to bare against combat-oriented enemies.
2. You allow the enemy to dictate the pace of battle; he may be reacting to your deep strikes, but he can initiate combats, while you can't.

[hr]

If you create a list where 50% of your force starts on the ground then you can use the other half to hit key points in the enemy line; heavy weapons squads, artillery and such.
That is always going to be an issue for all drop pod armies but they can be effective by focusing the drop pod assault on one piece of the enemy army and using the drop pods as a physical barrier between themselves and the rest of the enemy. This breaks the opponents force into two pieces and evens out the fight since you are now only focusing on a chunk of the enemy force. I also do not agree that the opponent sets the pace of the battle, I control a great deal about how the battle plays out by where I drop down and what units I choose to break off from the rest of the army and target.

If I play with this army and I find that I cannot overcome the weaknesses of an all drop pod army then I will reevaluate my army and only use drop pods with some of my units.

Also while thinking about which elite to cut and where to reallocate those points, I realized how with needing to cut out an elite anyway and with all that melta, Vulkan might do more for me than Kantor. I put together two lists that use Vulkan.

My question for you is if either of these lists are better than one using Kantor and if so, which is better between these two.

List 1:

Vulkan He'Stan 190

Ironclad Dreadnought 190
drop pod
locator beacon

Tactical Squad [10] 220
meltagun
multi-melta
drop pod

Tactical Squad [10] 220
meltagun
multi-melta
drop pod

Tactical Squad [10] 220
meltagun
multi-melta
drop pod

Landspeeder 60
tornado pattern heavy flamer

List 2:

Vulkan He'Stan 190

Ironclad Dreadnought 190
drop pod
locator beacon

Ironclad Dreadnought 180
drop pod

Tactical Squad [10] 245
meltagun
multi-melta
power fist
drop pod

Tactical Squad [10] 245
meltagun
multi-melta
power fist
drop pod

Tactical Squad [10] 245
meltagun
multi-melta
power fist
drop pod

I personally am leaning towards the first list because I love the assault terminator models and they can soak up fire that would otherwise threaten my tactical squads. The landspeeder provides much needed anti-horde.

As always, feedback is greatly appreciated.
Old 23 Jan 2010, 13:17   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to major_rawne02

The first of those Salamander lists looks good, you've got a good number of bodies on the field and some really hard hitting units augmented by He'Stan's rules.
major_rawne02 is offline   Reply With Quote