Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

starting a Space Marine army
Old 17 Jan 2010, 23:03   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default starting a Space Marine army

After nearly a year without Warhammer, I've decided to return to the game with a more mature mindset. Much rather then waste money on miniatures from every army I'd like to start all at once (i.e., every army), I'm just going to stick with one for the time being, and decided 'what the heck, lets go with Space Marines'.

Much rather then just do a Smurf force, though, I want to make an army for one of GW's more ignored Chapters, the Rampagers. Why? 1) I feel like it 2) I like how their color scheme, its very easy for a mediocre painter like me to do 3) I like how they came from a White Scars, but not the Mongolian/bike rider thing. When I first heard of the White Scars, I thought that they did blitzkrieg tactics with columns of armored vehicles grinding the foe to mush beneath gore-soaked treads, and I decided that my Rampagers force would follow tactics similar to that.

Below is the army list, ready to be poked and prodded. Criticism is welcomed, as long as it isn't too harshly worded.

Rampagers Battlegroup Infragilis Pugnus
1000-point Army List
(929 points total)

Captain Vipo Caegorian (115 points, 1 HQ unit)
1x Captain w/ bolter, lightning claw, frag and krak grenades, Iron Halo

Tactical Squad Sehpael (205 points, 1 Troops unit)
1x Sergeant w/ bolt pistol, chainsword, frag and krak grenades
1x Marine w/ bolt pistol, missile launcher, frag and krak grenades
1x Marine w/ bolt pistol, flamer, frag and krak grenades
7x Marines w/ bolt pistols, bolters, frag and krak grenades
1x Rhino transport w/ storm bolter, smoke launchers, searchlight

Tactical Squad Sasutos (189 points, 1 Troops unit)
1x Sergeant w/ bolt pistol, chainsword, frag and krak grenades
1x Marine w/ bolt pistol, missile launcher, frag and krak grenades
1x Marine w/ bolt pistol, flamer, frag and krak grenades
6x Marines w/ bolt pistols, bolters, frag and krak grenades
1x Rhino transport w/ storm bolter, smoke launchers, searchlight

Scout Squad Tepon (100 points, 1 Troops unit)
1x Scout Sergeant w/ bolt pistol, sniper rifle, frag and krak grenades, camo cloak
1x Scout Marine w/ bolt pistol, missile launcher, frag and krak grenades, camo cloak
3x Scout Marines w/ bolt pistols, sniper rifles, frag and krak grenades, camo cloaks

The Mortifer Ventus (70 points, 1 Fast Attack unit)

1x Land Speeder Tornado w/ multi-melta, heavy bolter

The Glorificus Vesica (120 points, 1 Heavy Support unit)
1x Vindicator tank w/ demolisher cannon, storm bolter, smoke launchers, dozer blade, searchlight

The Sanctus Peregrinus (100 points, 1 Heavy Support unit)
1x Predator tank w/ autocannon, heavy bolter sponsons, storm bolter, dozer blade

The Haereticum Prosterno (100 points, 1 Heavy Support unit)
1x Predator tank w/ autocannon, heavy bolter sponsons, storm bolter, dozer blade

The army has simple tactics: The Scouts stay cooped up somewhere, sniping and shooting at guys, while the three tanks roll forward, continuing the carnage as the land speeder hovers overhead, waiting to provide quick support. Then, the two Rhinos roll up, and capture the objectives, mopping up any surviving enemy forces.

For the tau'va......................................or maybe not.

Yes!!!!! We killed the false-Emperor!!!!!!............now what?

Ork Strategy: Dakka dakka dakka! Waaagh! The Orks! Waaagh!

I shall eviscerate your bowels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ScorpiusTheWimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jan 2010, 13:49   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: starting a Space Marine army

Tactical Squad Sasutos is wrong. It only has 9 marines in it. You need 10 in order to legally take the missile launcher and flamer. You seem to have plenty of leftover points, why not just throw in that 10th marine, make it legal to have those free weapons, bringing your total points up to 945.

Now, what to do with the other 55 points? How about giving one of the predators a twin lascannon turret? You only have 3 missile launchers for AT work, and using them forces a whole squad to waste their bolter or sniper shots on vehicles they can't penetrate.

It would be nice to have a nice reliable dedicated twin-linked super duper laser punch just in case the badguys are mechanized heavy, freeing up your tac and scout squads to shoot at things they can all damage, instead of just the heavy weapon guy having an effective shot.

Upgrading a predator turret puts you at 10 points left. Just as a randomly selected possibility to dump the last few points into (I'm sure there are plenty): by dropping a single dozer blade, you could upgrade your captain with Artificer Armor, bringing you to exactly 1000. Just a suggestion. However, if you really love all your dozer blades, give him hell shells, or buy some other random vehicle upgrade, or melta bombs for your tactical sergeants. Whatever it's just 10 points.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2010, 11:44   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Whoops! Forgot about the rules on special weapons for squads. There are 9 men in Sasutos on purpose, though, so that my commander can ride in one of the Rhinos instead of being the only model that has to walk. Although, perhaps I could put him on a bike or something. That might not be so bad.

A twin-linked lascannon on a Predator might not be that bad either, if I can afford the points. I'll work on it.

For the tau'va......................................or maybe not.

Yes!!!!! We killed the false-Emperor!!!!!!............now what?

Ork Strategy: Dakka dakka dakka! Waaagh! The Orks! Waaagh!

I shall eviscerate your bowels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ScorpiusTheWimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2010, 00:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Remember, you can always divide a tactical squad into combat squads to make room for your captain.
Domitian is offline   Reply With Quote