Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Space Wolves 2000 Point Take a look and comment Updated 1/11/2010
Old 03 Jan 2010, 05:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Space Wolves 2000 Point Take a look and comment Updated 1/11/2010

I have been play testing this list and I think I have it close to what I want. It is very hard to justify the Landraider in this list. The other unit I am not happy with is the bikes. This list is part of my 'ard Boyz list. So it needs to be able to take on anything. It's doing well against most armies but I am still working on this.

Here are a few comments on my own list so be sure to leave your comments and experience.

Landraider- I give this a C+ so far. I now have a Vindi rolling right beside it so it's a B- now.
Comments and Suggestion welcome on this unit.

Vindi C it really has not done much but it does scare my opponent and allows me to split his forces out.

Bikes - I rate it a C- I am afraid I have to go bigger but I can't spare the points at this time.

Grey Hunter Pack # 3 B- I need to find the points to give Pack #3 a MotW.

Scouts- A+ I know I recommended smaller units but I now find 7 + 1 WG to be great. I don't know how many times this unit has saved my ass or secured an objective because of the Behind Enemy Lines rule.

Lone Wolf - Incomplete, I am not totally convined this guy is going to work out. I just added the Wolves to him on this list so I don't know if it's going to help.

Grey Hunter Unit #2 A+ This really has done a great job recently especially because of the Mark of the Wulfen GH. I almost feel guilty (I'm secretly laughing at my opponent as this guy is about to tear shit up) when rolling a 6 on this guy.

If you guys can let me know what you think. I want different views or alternatives. I did get in some Thunder Wolf Calvery I need to model but these guys are going in my 2.5K list.

WT

Created with Army Builder - Copyright (c) 1997-2009 Lone Wolf Development, Inc. All rights reserved. Download it for FREE at http://www.wolflair. com!
2000 Pts - Space Wolves - Space Wolves 2000 army list 2K Vindi

HQ: Ulrik the Slayer Ulrik the Slayer

Elite: Lone Wolf
Lone Wolf in Power Armour
Lone Wolf w/ Mark of the Wulfen
Fenrisian Wolf 2
Points 55

Elite: Wolf Guard Pack
Wolf Guard Pack in Land Raider Crusader
Total of 5 Wolf Guard leader

1 Wolf Guard in Power Armour
Melta Bombs; Frost Weapon
Attached to first Drop Pod

2 Wolf Guard in Power Armour
Frost Weapon
Attached to Land Raider Unit

3 Wolf Guard in Power Armour
Melta Bombs; Plasma Pistol (x1); Power Weapon
Unit goes with Scout Unit

4 Wolf Guard in Power Armour Frost Weapon
Goes with GH drop pod

5 Wolf Guard in Power Armour
Space Marine Bike; Power Fist attached to bike Unit

Land Raider Crusader - Multi-Melta
Points 495

Elite: Wolf Scouts Pack
7 Scouts - Meltagun; Plasma Pistol, Mark of the Wulfen
Points 145

Troops: Grey Hunters Pack #1
9 GHs
Plasmagun; Plasma Pistol; Power Fist;
Drop Pod
Points 205

Troops: Grey Hunters Pack #2
9 GHs
Mark of the Wulfen, Meltagun; Power Fist
Drop Pod
Points 215

Troops: Grey Hunters Pack #3
10 GHs these guys ride in style in the Land Raider along with a Wolf Guard with Frost Blade and Ulrik
Flamer; Power Fist; Meltagun;
Points 175

Fast Attack: Swiftclaw Biker Pack
5 bikes
Space Marine Bike; Melta Bombs; Meltagun; Power Fist
Points 185

Heavy Support: Long Fangs Pack Heavy Bolter (x3); Lascannon (x2);
Razorback with heavy bolters
Points 195

Heavy Support: Vindicator
Dozer Blade; Extra Armor;
Points 135

Total Cost: 2000
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Wolf-Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jan 2010, 15:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Space Wolves 2000 Point Take a look and comment

Hey Wolf-Tau ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf-Tau
HQ: Ulrik the Slayer
Nice choice. Slayer's Oath will let you take on Monstrous Creatures and other big, tough models, and knife through them with ease. His Wolf Helm makes him much more survivable in close combat. Mentor is always a good thing to have, but what model will you be putting the +1 WS on? It seems to me that the only logical choice would be a model with Mark of the Wolfen so you can better take advantage of the +D6 attacks.

Quote:
Fenrisian Wolf 2
Points 55
I've never really found Lone Wolfs to be worth their points. They are too slow and then cost you a Kill Point should he survive. He is a fluffy addition to any list, but I personally believe that the points are better spend elsewhere.

Quote:

Frost Weapon

Goes with GH drop pod

Points 495
I would switch any of the Frost Weapons out for Wolf Claws, personally. They have a better statistical chance of doing damage in close combat. Each unto their own, however. Other then that, you can't take a Land Raider as a dedicated transport, so the Land Raider should be under the Heavy Support slot. Pedantics, I know, but it makes the list more understandable.

Quote:
Elite: Wolf Scouts Pack
7 Scouts - Meltagun; Plasma Pistol, Mark of the Wulfen
Points 145
Fine looking unit.

Quote:
Troops: Grey Hunters Pack #1
9 GHs
Plasmagun; Plasma Pistol; Power Fist;
Drop Pod
Points 205

Troops: Grey Hunters Pack #2
9 GHs
Mark of the Wulfen, Meltagun; Power Fist
Drop Pod
Points 215

Troops: Grey Hunters Pack #3
10 GHs these guys ride in style in the Land Raider along with a Wolf Guard with Frost Blade and Ulrik
Flamer; Power Fist; Meltagun;
Points 175
All of these are fine, but a think to keep in mind is that Crusader has a transport capacity of 16. As it is now, you have only 12. Thats fine, but you could switch it out to a Redeemer, if you wish. I'm not advocating one over the other, just informing you of the options.

Quote:
5 bikes
Points 185
Fine.

Quote:
Points 195
I might think about monopolizing Missile Launchers on this unit. Missile Launchers are cost efficient and they can handle tank and infantry threats. Just something to think about.

Quote:
Heavy Support: Vindicator
Dozer Blade; Extra Armor;
Points 135
Good.

Overall, I think that you have a nice, coherent list. Just a few minor tweaks and you'll be set. Hell, you wouldn't even have to make those changes if you're content with the list right now. Hope I helped some .
Warsmith Tyranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jan 2010, 20:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikdlr
Quote:
Fenrisian Wolf 2
Points 55
I've never really found Lone Wolfs to be worth their points. They are too slow and then cost you a Kill Point should he survive. He is a fluffy addition to any list, but I personally believe that the points are better spend elsewhere.
I agree with ikdlr, Lone Wolf's really aren't that great.

Quote:
Quote:

Frost Weapon

Goes with GH drop pod

Points 495
I would switch any of the Frost Weapons out for Wolf Claws, personally. They have a better statistical chance of doing damage in close combat. Each unto their own, however. Other then that, you can't take a Land Raider as a dedicated transport, so the Land Raider should be under the Heavy Support slot. Pedantics, I know, but it makes the list more understandable.
I'm not to sure about the claws being better, do you mean replacing them with a single or a pair? A pair would be better but you lose the pistol and claws are quite a bit more expensive. If you are talking about single claws they are cheaper than frost blades but can't hurt T8, as for being better I haven't done the calculations but I would of thought that the extra Str and attack would be a little better.

The only thing I don't like about your WG is the Plasma Pistol on the one attached to the scouts. You already have a Plasma Pistol in that squad and I find that the risk of overheating and killing off your expensive WG is not worth it! You could use the points to give your 3rd GH squad MotW.

Quote:
5 bikes
Points 185
This is probably the only unit that I don't like in your list, this unit costs 258pts (including the expensive WG) and isn't very durable. Its got some nice AT ability, but it can't take that much firepower and can be ground down in combat buy cheaper troops (as SW bikers don't have combat tactics to get them out of a tight spot). Unless this unit is vital to your plans or a personal favorite I would look at spending these points elsewhere in your list!

Quote:
Quote:
Points 195
I might think about monopolizing Missile Launchers on this unit. Missile Launchers are cost efficient and they can handle tank and infantry threats. Just something to think about.
Missile launchers are great, they are cheap and very flexable. I would definitely look at putting a few in your long Fang unit as Lascannons are very expensive and will draw a lot of fire, this is obviously a bad thing for a small unit with no/few meatsheilds.

One thing that I would suggest is to take another scoring unit as 3 in 2000pts is a little to few, killing 28 GH isn't that difficult a task (I try to take a minimum of 1 scoring unit per 500 pts). Another GH unit (even a small one) would be a good addition and you could find the points fairly easily with a few tweaks to your list.

Hope that helps!
Sardis Varrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jan 2010, 20:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
I'm not to sure about the claws being better, do you mean replacing them with a single or a pair? A pair would be better but you lose the pistol and claws are quite a bit more expensive. If you are talking about single claws they are cheaper than frost blades but can't hurt T8, as for being better I haven't done the calculations but I would of thought that the extra Str and attack would be a little better.

The only thing I don't like about your WG is the Plasma Pistol on the one attached to the scouts. You already have a Plasma Pistol in that squad and I find that the risk of overheating and killing off your expensive WG is not worth it! You could use the points to give your 3rd GH squad MotW.
A single. It is cheaper and gives you the option to re-roll hits or wounds. With a Frost Blade, you wound T8 on a roll of 6+, not very good odds in my book. Plus, lets be honest, how many T8 are you going to encounter. Monstrous Creatures aren't too common (relative to infantry squads) unless you're fighting a Nidzilla list or equivalent. I would still go Wolf-Claw, much more tactically sound.

Also, overheating isn't going to happen that often. The odds of an overheating and subsequently killing the marine, are infinitesimal. Plus, it gives a much higher percentage of kills in the Shooting Phase. But this one I don't feel too strongly about. Mark of the Wolfen or Plasma Pistol will be alright in this list.

Quote:
One thing that I would suggest is to take another scoring unit as 3 in 2000pts is a little to few, killing 28 GH isn't that difficult a task (I try to take a minimum of 1 scoring unit per 500 pts). Another GH unit (even a small one) would be a good addition and you could find the points fairly easily with a few tweaks to your list.
I would tend to agree with this, but if you can't find the points for them, I don't think it'll be too detrimental to your list.
Old 04 Jan 2010, 03:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I agree with you guys, on the Lone Wolf. I wanted to test him out. Now that I have some other opinions, he is definitely out.

Claws. I will think about this option. I just like being able to wound T4 on a 3+. I see a lot of marine armies in my area. And the truth of the matter is, I have never used them before and Im a little hesitant to use them.

You guys mentioned some good stuff, I need to try a few things.

The bike unit. I have not been happy with it. Once I have the models, I am thinking of going with another GH unit in a Drop Pod. What do you two think?

The Landraider, give me some options, I am thinking of dropping it. I like the delivery system for my main unit but

WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Wolf-Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jan 2010, 03:17   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I like the idea of switching out the Bike unit. I've never found them to be too useful in the past. Plus, this option will give you another scoring unit, which will be a huge benefit in objective games.

As for the Land Raider, what do you want options on? I love the unit, personally, and run 3 of them in my list. Cheesecake City, I know, but you play this game to win :P. Do you want our opinions on the three different makes of the Land Raider (i.e. Godhammer, Crusader, Redeemer) or do you want to completely remove the unit and switch in something new?
Old 05 Jan 2010, 06:09   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Lone wolves might be alot more useful come next tyranids codex. Seeing some canifex squads I wouldn't mind having a trailing termy lone wolf with thunder hammer/ss to try and pick em off. I know a few people who will be doing nidzilla and it is gonna suck...
space wolf bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jan 2010, 12:47   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yes but there are 11 more armies out there :P. Unless you're tailoring a list exclusively for fighting Tyranids, I would stay away from Lone Wolves.
Old 05 Jan 2010, 15:11   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

I dunno against daemons, tyranids, orks*

*Does their special rule work against models on bikes? Nobs and marines basically?
space wolf bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jan 2010, 16:00   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Nob Bikers modify their Toughness to reach 5, so I'm not sure that this rule would apply. I would go with yes, if presented the question during a game and neither of us knew the correct rule.

Plus, let's be honest; how popular are Daemons lists? Realitive to Guard and Marines, not so much .