Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

750 and 1000 points lists, training for an inbound group.
Old 10 Dec 2009, 15:19   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default 750 and 1000 points lists, training for an inbound group.

A while ago (about this summer) I posted a long spout of combat patrol lists to be used as training for newer players. Now I'm doing the same with a new inbound group. However, they'll be buying battleforces, so I'll have to up the points on my marine lists to suit their ineveitable want of larger games. The newbies are a Tau player (who I origionally made the CP lists for, he knows quite a bit of theory and has a few 750 games under him), a Necron Player (who knows some theory on Necrons, and has a basic strategy), and a Tyranid Player (The Necron player's younger brother, who has a plan for a swarmish army with some MC mixed in). The lists I'm proposing aren't neccesarily designed to win (though I do hope they're capable of it), but get them a handle on the rules. Possibly to put the fear of the Emperor (or at least my Crimson Fists) in them too, that'd be nice.

Without any more talky talky, the lists.

---750 List 1

HQ
Chaplain -115pts
-Jump Pack

You'll see where he goes in a bit.

TROOPS
Tactical Squad Dolor (10) -195pts
-Powerfist
-Missile Launcher
-Flamer
--Rhino -35pts

This is the "Agressive" squad, it moves forward and smashes things. The Missile Launcher is there in case I have to hold posistion of if advancing isn't a good idea (like, against the 'nids).

Tactical Squad Sol (10) -190pts
-Power Weapon
-Multi-Melta
-Meltagun

This is a more static squad. I'd swap it out for Fuego (10 points more expensive, Powerweapon, Plasmacannon, Plasmagun), but they're an acceptable low AP defensive substitute.

FAST ATTACK
Assault Squad Furia (10) -215
-Powerfist

The Chaplian goes in here. They advance behind Dolor when used agressively, or act as a counterassault unit if I have to hold my ground.

750 on the head. This was the origonal "Endboss" list for the Tau player's CP training. Because school kicked in (and the Jump Chaplain has been moved to direct), we never got to play it. Hopefully, that will change now.

---750 list 2
HQ
Captain -148pts
-Relic Blade
-Artificer Armour
-Storm Bolter

This is different from my usual HQ setup (RB/SS or Kantor), but the terminator captain model is too cool to not use. The price is right too, he's only 8 ponts more than an actual Terminator Captain, but can sweeping advance, fit in normal vehicles, and has a relic blade.

ELITES
Dreadnought -140pts
-Plasmacannon/Assault Cannon
-Heavy Flamer
-Extra Armour

I'm undecided on the main gun; both are the same price and the arms are magnetized. I'm leaning toward the plasmacannon. I know some people don't like extra armour, but feel ike if the dread's not shooting it had better be charging, or at least avoiding getting shot again.

TROOPS
Tactical Squad Fuego (10) -200pts
-Powerweapon
-Plasmacannon
-Plasmagun

This is my main fire support squad. They do quite well, but tend to draw a lot of fire once people know what they can do.

Scout Squad Cortina (7) -111pts
-Bolters (x6)
-Heavy Bolter

A cheap squad with a nice big gun. They don't tend to impress me, but they've gotten some good kills.

HEAVY SUPPORT
Devastator Squad Lancero (6) -151pts
-Missile Launcher (x3)

This is my normal Devastator squad scaled down. They do pretty well at their normal size, so I hope the same can be said here. Also, they level out the Captain's odd points value.

750 total. This is kind of a half company-ish, without the assault squad. It has quite a bit of plasma if the Dread gets a plasmacannon, but I'd rather not give the new players a hatred of plasma weaponry.

---750 list 3
HQ
Captain -140pts
-Terminator Armour

You'll notice he has actual terminator armour. This is important.

ELITES
Terminator Squad Orgullo (7)-285pts
-Heavy Flamer

The Captain Hangs out with them. They hang out in orbit. Whoo.

TROOPS
Scout Squad Cortina (7)-126pts
-Bolters(x6)
-Heavy Bolter
-Teleport Homer

Scout Squad Sombra (5)- 110pts
-Power Weapon
-Meltabombs
-Teleport Homer

These two squad will use infiltrate (and possibly scouts) to get thimselves into a good position for the terminators to come in. If they're shot at on the first tun, they can go to ground. I think outflanking would be a bad idea here, as the point if for the Teleport homer to be on the table.

HEAVY SUPPORT
Whirlwind -85pts

I had points to fill and this seemed the logical, cheap thing to do. I don't have a dakka pred, otherwise I'd use that.

746 points. I suppose it's more an idea i had of a 1st/10th company joint operation. If the list gets much use, it will probably be in multiplayer games with a central objective. It's mostly for fun, as it really rellies on ther terminators arriving. This was my first attempt at a "top heavy" list.

---1000 List 1

HQ
Captain -148pts
-Relic Blade
-Artificer Armour
-Storm Bolter

There he is again.

ELITES
Sternguard Squad Perdido (5) -135pts
-Combi-Melta (x2)
--Razorback -75pts
---TL/Lascannons

The Captain goes here with the veterans. The lascannons and meltas will be the best anti-tank in the list, but there are some occasions ('nids, necrons at this points level) where I won't need that much. I'd tone it down to Heavy bolters if I could, but the turret has lascannons.

TROOPS
Tactical Squad Novato -195pts
-Powerfist
-Missile Launcher
-Flamer
--Rhino -35pts

Tactical Squad Dolor -195pts
-Powerfist
-Missile Launcher
-Flamer
--Rhino -35pts

These two squad grab objectives in SG, one moves up with the Captain's squad in C&C, and both will move with The captian as a hammer in Kill Points.

HEAVY SUPPORT
Devastator Squad Lancero (7) -182pts
-Missile Launcher (x4)

These guys will sit in back and pound what needs pounding. The Frag missiles should thin out Tyranid Hordes, while the Kraks can take out Destroyer Squads and Tau tanks and battlesuits. It has some warm bodies as ablative wounds. Again, blancing out the "terminator" captain's points.

1000 points exactly. This is a more balanced list than the second 1000 pointer, and is really an extension on the second 750 list.

---1000 list 2
HQ
Pedro Kantor -175pts

The man himself. This list is an experiment for special characters in lower points games.

ELITES
Sternguard Squad Castillo (5)-160pts
-Combi-Melta(x2)
-Powerfist
--Razorback -90pts
-TL/Lascannons
-Extra Armour

Kantor goes in here. It's a bit of a lightwight 'uber unit', but I think it'll be halfway decent. As an added bonus, it's scoring.

TROOPS
Tactical Squad Novato -195pts
-Powerfist
-Missile Launcher
-Flamer
--Rhino -50pts
-Extra Armour

Tactical Squad Dolor -195pts
-Powerfist
-Missile Launcher
-Flamer
--Rhino -50pts
-Extra Armour

These two move up with Kantor and the Sternguard. If it's an objectives game, they go sit on them.

HEAVY SUPPORT
Whirlwind -85pts

It sits in the back and shoots things.

1000 points. There theme here was twofold 1)Kantor in 1000 points and 2)a fluffy mechanized force. Every unit has a transport or is a tank. I think it's enough vehicles to spread their anti-tank thin, and if that Kantor Hammer hits that's a quite a bit of bodies and attacks.

Comments welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 2009, 23:52   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: 750 and 1000 points lists, training for an inbound group.

I think the lists are great and what your doing to introduce new players is awesome, such a friendly and nice thing to do.

I don't have any advice to improve the lists, i think there all great, and I'm probably going to steal a few......
The Relic Blade Captain is pretty cool, I normally go for "el cheapo" captains, but i might try this fellow out.

Let us know how everything goes with the new players and these lists etc!
lemon-green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2009, 01:36   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I was looking at marine lists with the idea of just combining the guys from blackreach and 1 battleforce... thats

1 blackreach captain
5 blackreach termies
10 blackreach tac marines, weapons and sarge
1 blackreach dread

10 more tac marines, with rhino, weapons and sarge
5 more tac marines
5 assault
5 scout

can you fit that into a list somewhere around 1000-1500?
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2009, 03:55   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitardian
I was looking at marine lists with the idea of just combining the guys from blackreach and 1 battleforce... thats

1 blackreach captain
5 blackreach termies
10 blackreach tac marines, weapons and sarge
1 blackreach dread

10 more tac marines, with rhino, weapons and sarge
5 more tac marines
5 assault
5 scout

can you fit that into a list somewhere around 1000-1500?
You may be misinterpreting what I'm saying, these are lists I'm using against newer palyers to get them a grip on the rules (I won't be against letting them use them if they want to try marines though). They're pretty set on what races they want to use.

However, I will PM you my list that I used back when Black Reach and a battleforce was all I had. It's actully a pretty good start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2009, 15:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The incorporation of scouts into the force I think should be essential for newbies. That way they can learn what outflank, scout, etc. does so they can at least know what it does for when they face Tyranids. Combined, I think these lists can give a comprehensive understanding of how other armies will operate.

Good to spread the game's user-base!