Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1750pt SW - quantity over quality
Old 05 Dec 2009, 15:47   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default 1750pt SW - quantity over quality

As the title suggests I have gone for the quantity over quality approach. The question is do you people think it is a competitive list or are there major flaws that I have missed? The only possible problem I see is the lack of any expensive elite assault units/character. That said swamping opponents powerful assault units with multiple squads, or avoiding them for most of the game usually works out ok.

HQ

Rune Priest
Murderous Hurricane, Jaws of the World Wolf
Terminator Armour, Storm Bolter
Runic Weapon
120pts

Elites

Dreadnought
Assault Cannon
Dreadnought CCW, Storm Bolter
Smoke Launchers, Search Light
105pts

Dreadnought
Assault Cannon
105pts

Wolf Scouts (5 men)
Frag + Krak Grenades
4x Bolt Pistols, CCWs
1x Meltagun, CCW
85pts

Troops

Grey Hunters (10 men)
Bolters, Bolt Pistols, CCWs
Frag + Krak Grenades
2x Meltaguns
1x Power Weapon
Drop Pod
Storm Bolter
205pts

Grey Hunters (10 men)
Frag + Krak Grenades
2x Meltaguns
1x Power Weapon
Rhino
Storm Bolter, Smoke Launchers, Search Light
205pts

Grey Hunters (10 men)
Frag + Krak Grenades
2x Meltaguns
1x Power Weapon
Rhino
205pts

Grey Hunters (10 men)
Frag + Krak Grenades
2x Plasma Guns
160pts

Grey Hunters (10 men)
Frag + Krak Grenades
2x Plasma Guns
160pts

Heavy

Vindicator
115pts

Vindicator
115pts

Long Fangs (6 men)
Frag + Krak Grenades
1x Bolt Pistol, CCW
3x Missile Launchers
2x Heavy Bolters
Razorback
TL Heavy Bolter, Smoke Launchers, Search Light
170pts

Total -1750pts

The two plasma grey hunter squads usually sit back and hold objectives in/around my deployment zone with the assistance of the Rune Priest. The rest of the GH squads are used to claim objectives and take the fight to the enemy when needed. I have taken two Vindicators as one can be neutralized to easily, and it gives me greater coverage of the board. Their demolisher cannons are also very flexable allowing me to target infantry (heavy and light) and vehicles. The long Fangs are to give me a little more flexable long range fire support and their Razorback is also a multi purpose unit. I plan to use the Razorback to give me extra fire support, move the Long Fangs when needed (e.g dawn of war) and also supply additional transport to the GH's if needed (after they have taken casualties). The two Dreadnoughts are there to fill any gaps in my list with decent multi role firepower and good assault abilities. And finally the Wolf Scouts will outflank, and hopefully cause some problems by targeting important tank and infantry elements.
Sardis Varrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Dec 2009, 17:07   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: 1750pt SW - quantity over quality

Only thing I can think of is how you use your drop pod. One squad being deployed too far forward will just get murdered and not do a helluva lot. That and you might wanna use your rune priest to push as his powers are too short range for him to be worth while sitting back in your deployment area.
space wolf bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Dec 2009, 19:10   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I am a big fan of quantity over quality. It is very hard list to go up against. 50 marines that will be attacking will be very hard to deal with a smaller force. If you want to make it more competitive, you will need a few things.

Since you do have so many bodies I will recommend to make the last two marine units more mobile. Drop two marines from each and give them Drop Pods if you can. Now you can throw in your Rune Priest in one of those units. Two, drop the Razor back as well. You have two Vindis and two Rhinos full. Use those points to:

Add two Drop Pods to the last units and Meltabombs for the scouts. In competition, you will see alot of IG tanks in the rear and you will need them to help out with this.

Or if you don't want to drop the marines, Drop the Dreads in Pods as well and give heavy flamers instead of Melta bombs for the scouts. Then upgrade your DP marine unit to a Powerfist.
That's what I would do.
WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Wolf-Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Dec 2009, 19:47   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

space wolf bob

Sitting the Rune Priest in/around my deployment zone against assault orientated armies will be fine as they will come to me. Against more shooty lists I will move him and his squad towards the centre of the board to claim any objectives there. This will allow me to get in range for his powers (and storm bolter) as well as putting me in range to stop opponents powers. I am still a little undecided on his powers, I have been switching around between Murderous Hurricane, Jaws of the World Wolf and Living Lightning. Ideally I would have liked to put him in a Rhino (with Power instead of Terminator armour) with one of the GH squads, but if I drop a GH to fit him in I lose my free 2nd special weapon.

As for the Drop Pod, it is in there because I wanted a reliable anti-tank option (for AV14) early in the game. I do have the two Vindicators to help out with this but they might be put to better use elsewhere

Wolf-Tau

I don't want to rely to heavily on drop pods as there are some armies that you really don't want to drop in on. I find that for this reason and the extra mobility of the Rhino's, give me a better rounded list. Also if I lower the GH's squad size below 10 I lose my free 2nd melta gun, 2 melta's are far more reliable than 1!

Giving the Wolf Scouts melta bombs is a nice idea and one that I looked at, but since you have to give the whole squad them or not it isn't that cheap (If you could just give them to the "pack leader" I would). I eventually decided against it when a friend of mine pointed out that IG tanks have AV10 rear armour (mostly), and that since I would generally be approaching from the rear 1 meltagun shot (in "melta" range) and 4 bolt pistol shots (they can glance) followed up by 5 krak grenade hits should destroy or at least cripple most tanks! That said melta bombs would really help against IG Tank squadrons.

I do like power fists and did originally have one on my drop podding GH unit. The problem with it is that I find it hard to justify giving a power fist to a model with just 1 attack, especially as its an expensive upgrade. If I had an attached Wolf Guard I would defiantly take the fist, but doing this would lose me one of the meltaguns and force me to drop one of my elite choices.

Thanks for the input so far, I am going to take another look at my list and I might do a few tweaks to it!

Old 06 Dec 2009, 23:52   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I really don't think jaws of the wolf lord is worth it in musualy army set up. Your army is different enough that it might be a good idea just to get rid of some MCs especially since you have power weapons and no fists.

I would actually agree with wolf tau that a fist or 2 would be a good idea. Power weapons are good for the extra attack but there are times when the higher Str of the fist is what you really needed because your powerweapon didn't do anything.

I never realised before though how cheap a barebones squad of greyhunters is with just 2 plasma/melta guns.

All in all though I feel this list is very damn good and I might have to do something similar.
Old 07 Dec 2009, 17:18   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I like his list as well SW Bob.

Personally I don't like his two static GH units because it does not fit with my style of play but it may be perfect for him. I could see him assigning one GH unit to each dred and walk them up as another tactic as well.

btw, Sardis have you tried out this list yet?
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Old 07 Dec 2009, 20:12   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Right I have decided on my first changes! I am going to swap the Rune Priest's
Murderous Hurricane for Living Lightning, drop his terminator armour and give him a chooser of the slain. With the spare points I will upgrade one of the power weapons to a fist (not sure which one yet)! Jaws is there to take out those really nasty MC like Fexs.

The 2 plasma GH squads are there to hold objectives in/around my deployment zone and to keep enemy outflankers away from my Vindicators!

I unfortunately haven't had chance to try this list out yet as I am working 60-70 hours a week (including travel time) up till Xmas. I will try to fit a game in over Xmas if I can, and will post how it did.
Old 12 Dec 2009, 03:20   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I know the feeling, I work 50 hours and that does not include my commuting time.

I have gone over my list as well. I am trying too many different units in my 1750 list so I'm adjusting my list. It going to have 3 Troops with a drop in the elites and fast attack.

You just can not beat a Grey Hunter unit. A unit of ten with Plasma Pistol and two plasma guns is great.

WT
Old 26 Dec 2009, 20:38   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

After listening to peoples comments and getting a glimpse of the monstrosities in the new Tyranid dex, I have decided to go for a few power fists. Now as I stated earlier I dont like giving expensive upgrades to models with just 1 attack, so due to this I have decided to include some Wolf Guard.

HQ

Rune Priest (*Attached to Grey hunters)
Murderous Hurricane, Jaws of the World Wolf
Runic Weapon
Bolt Pistol
Frag + Krak Grenades
100pts

Elites

Wolf Guard Pack (8 men)
Frag + Krak Grenades
4x Combi-Melta, Bolt Pistol
1x Bolter, Bolt Pistol
3x Combi-Melta, Power Fist (*Attached to Grey hunters)
Drop Pod
Storm Bolter
274pts

Dreadnought
Assault Cannon
105pts

Wolf Scouts (5 men)
Frag + Krak Grenades
4x Bolt Pistols, CCWs
1x Meltagun, CCW
85pts

Troops

Grey Hunters ( 8 men)
Frag + Krak Grenades
1x Meltagun
(* 1x Wolf Guard - Combi-Melta, Power Fist )
(* 1x Rune Priest)
Rhino
160pts

Grey Hunters (9 men)
Frag + Krak Grenades
1x Meltagun
Rhino
175pts

Grey Hunters (9 men)
Frag + Krak Grenades
1x Meltagun
Rhino
175pts

Grey Hunters (10 men)
Frag + Krak Grenades
2x Plasma Guns
160pts

Grey Hunters (10 men)
Frag + Krak Grenades
2x Plasma Guns
160pts

Heavy

Vindicator
115pts

Vindicator
115pts

Long Fangs (6 men)
Frag + Krak Grenades
1x Bolt Pistol, CCW
2x Missile Launchers
3x Heavy Bolters
125pts

Total -1749pts

Below is a quick summery of the changes!

Out

1x Razorback (replaced by a Rhino)
1x Missile launcher from long fangs (replaced with a Heavy Bolter)
1x Dreadnought
Terminator Armour and Storm Bolter (from the Rune Priest)
4x Grey Hunters (to make room for the Wolf Guard and Rune Priest)
3x Meltaguns (lost as the squads are no longer 10 men)

In

1x Rhino
1x Heavy Bolter
8x Wolf Guard
- 4x Combi-Melta, Bolt Pistol
- 1x Bolter, Bolt Pistol
- 3x Combi-Melta, Power Fist (*Attached to Grey hunters)

Replacing the Grey Hunters with Wolf guard unfortunately loses me the free 2nd meltaguns in each squad. The bonus with doing this is that the Wolf Guard have 2 attacks (so basically double the effectiveness of the fists), and a WG with a fist is 2pts cheaper than a GH with a fist. I have given the WG squad leaders combi-meltas to keep the units anti tank ability reliable, and as I usually only manage to fire my meltaguns once or twice in a game it doesnt effect the overall firepower much. I have also cleared a space in one of the Rhinos so that the Rune Priest can take a more active role in the game. The 5 remaining WG in the Drop Pod are basically a suicide hit squad designed to drop next to an expensive target and fire off their combi-meltas, hopefully destroying or crippling the target (Land Raider etc). What do you guys think, do the changes make this a better more competitive list or not?
Old 27 Dec 2009, 04:11   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

The suicide wolf guard unit doesn't seem worth it in a KP game. You maybe get 1 killpoint and give them 2 for it in return? I dunno I don't see the real value of that their. The only time it is worth it is if they have a crusader loaded with termies and a character and its like 500+ pts in 1 land raider.