Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1750 Point Red Scorpions- New to Loyalist Marines
Old 05 Dec 2009, 00:57   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default 1750 Point Red Scorpions- New to Loyalist Marines

So a while ago I asked about some rules for the Red Scorpions, and was told about their update in Seige of Vraks 2. I've finally managed to look at the rules, and I've built an army list based on them. I've tried to keep the list as fluffy as is possible, taking as many choices from the IA series as possible.

HQ

Commander Culln
190 points

Elites

Terminator Squad
200 points

Terminator Assault Squad
200 points

Chaplain Dreadnought
Assault Cannon
185 points

Troops

Red Scorpions Tactical Squad
10 Marines
1 Apothecary
Meltagun
Rhino
240 points

10 Marines
1 Apothecary
Meltagun
Rhino
240 points

10 Marines
1 Apothecary w/ Power Weapon
Rhino
245 points

Heavy Support

Land Raider
250 points

TOTAL: 1750 Points
[hr]

The plan is to put Culln and one Terminator squad (don't know which would be better) in the Land Raider and then strike the other squad onto Culln's Teleport Homer. The Tac squads go after objectives and enemy units, with the Chappy Dread and LR providing fire support.

I would really appreciate some help on this list, since the last list I posted for an Army I wasn't familiar with got zero replies.

Odo The Brave's Projects: Chaos Space Marine Fandex Project Terragen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus, HARLEQUIN OF TAU 0NLINE!
That makes far too much sense to be used in 40k
Odo The Brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Dec 2009, 01:04   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: 1750 Point Red Scorpions- New to Loyalist Marines

... What in the Tau'va's name is a Chaplain Dreadnought?
Old 05 Dec 2009, 01:06   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Just what it sounds like: A Dreadnought that has Litanies of Hate. And is Venerable.

Quote:
Old 05 Dec 2009, 11:06   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo The Brave
10 Marines
1 Apothecary w/ Power Weapon
Rhino
245 points
The Apothecary can't take a power weapon or any other upgrades. "The Sgt may be upgraded to an Apothecary for XX pts. The Apothecary has power armour, bolt pistol, frag and krak grenades and a narthecium". Later in the entry it states that the Sgt may replace his bolter and/or bolt pistol with: (list of items follow), since the Apothecary isn't a Sgt he cant take the upgrades!

A favorite unit setup of mine is a 10 man Tactical squad with Apothecary, plasma gun and plasma cannon, used for sitting on objectives in/around your deployment zone. This unit makes good use of the Apothecary (as they stay as a 10 man squad and they can use FNP to help them with plasma overheats) and having a couple of AP2 weapons with some range is always usefull. I would also look into dropping one of your Tactical squads for the following or something similar-

Tactical squad (10 Men)
Sgt with bolt pistol, power weapon
1x Meltagun
1x Missile Launcher (or possibly a lascannon)
Razorback with TL Heavy bolters

Split them into combat squads with the heavy weapon sitting back to give you some anti tank fire support, whilst the other squad with your Sgt and meltagun moves forward in the razorback to claim objectives. This setup makes use of your free/cheaper heavy weapon as well as still giving you a unit capable of taking objectives. Also the razorback is a good cheap unit that can put out a decent amount of anti infantry fire to help support your other troops.

As for the rest of your list-

Quote:
Terminator Squad
200 points
I don't see any point taking a standard terminator squad without a heavy weapon. I would take a Cyclone ML and deploy the unit on the table at the start for most games!

Quote:
Land Raider
250 points
If your planning on using your LR mainly for troop transport I would take a crusader with a multimelta upgrade instead. The crusader allows you to fire more/all of its weapons on the move, and the multimelta will be lethal to vehicles close up!

Quote:
Chaplain Dreadnought
Assault Cannon
185 points
This is more a personal one, I don't think that venerable dreadnoughts are worth the extra pts over the standard dreadnought. That said I know people who swear by them, (its all down to personal preference) I however would use the extra pts elsewhere in your list.

Welcome to the ranks of the Red Scorpions, and remember Strength in Purity!
Sardis Varrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Dec 2009, 17:51   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Thanks for the tips Brother.

I had thought that since the Apothecary replaced the Sgt that he could take the same options, thanks for clearing that up.

Do you overall recommend having Apothecaries for every squad, or do you only run a few?

So if I were to replace the current Tac squads what would you suggest? I'm thinking that your Apo/P-Gun/P-Cannon setup would replace one squad. I want to try to keep as many Apothecaries in my list as possible.

I want to try to keep the Chaplain Dread if possible. I'm trying to keep very closely to what is laid out in IA 6 and IA 4, so having fewer units does somewhat make sense. I'm pretty used to having a small amount of models and units already since my darker side plays a Nurgle Warband. I'm thinking that playing Red Scorpions will be somewhat similar to my other army, but with even more of an emphasis on close range fire fighting due to lack of 2 CCWs. On that note, it's a pity we can't upgrade a Sgt to an Apothecary in all our units. Oh well.

Just looking at the changes you're recommending it seems like I would run out of points before they were done. What do you suggest as the most important changes to make?

Quote:
Old 06 Dec 2009, 13:32   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

I have 3 Apothecary's in my Red Scorpions 2nd company, 1 in the command squad and 2 in my tactical squads (although the RS have a greater number of Apothecary's they don't have them in all their tactical squads)! I think that Apothecary's are best used in squads that don't often split into combat squads, and squads that don't plan to engage in too much assaulting. If you split your squad your Apothecary only gives FNP to the 5 men (including himself) in his combat squad which is a bit of a waste. If you plan to engage in assaults the Sgt with a power weapon/fist would be a better choice, especially since itís easier for your opponent to negate FNP in assault.

HQ

Commander Culln
190pts

Rides in the LR Crusader with the assault Terminators.

Elites

Terminator Assault Squad
5x Thunder Hammer, Storm Sheild
200pts

Rides in the LR Crusader with Culln

Terminator Squad
4x Storm Bolter, Powerfist
1x Assault Cannon or Cyclone ML (and Storm Bolter), Powerfist
230pts

You have a choice here, either take the Assault Cannon or take the Cyclone ML and Storm Bolter (the Assault Cannon replaces the Storm Bolter but the Cyclone ML is taken in addition to the SB and you can fire both weapons each turn). Its your choice on how you use this unit, but remember that if you start it in reserve you may lose a lot of turns of firing!

Chaplain Dreadnought
Assault Cannon
185pts

I left this in as you wanted to keep it.

Troops

Tactical Squad (10 Men)
Apothecary
1x Plasma Gun
1x Plasma Cannon
210pts

This is one of my favourite Tactical Squad setups for Red Scorpions. I use this unit to sit back in/around my deployment zone (as a full 10 man squad) on an objective and provide fire support. The Apothecary gives FNP to the full squad which also helps nicely with plasma overheats, and make the squad hard to shift especially if deployed in cover. The plasma weaponry has a decent range and can take out both light and heavy infantry, also with Str 7 it can hurt Monstrous creatures and vehicles when needed (you can glance AV13).

Tactical Squad (10 Men)
Sgt Bolt Pistol, Power weapon
1x Meltagun
1x Lascannon
Razorback - TL Heavy Bolter
240pts

This squad makes use of the combat squads rule to split into 2 units, one with the Lascannon and the other with the Sgt and Meltagun mounted in the Razorback. The 5 man Lascannon squad sits back and gives you a decent ranged anti tank weapon. The other 5 man unit moves forward in the Razorback to claim objectives. The meltagun gives you the option to take on vehicles and is useful against heavy infantry and Monstrous creatures, the Sgt with the power weapon gives you a little more punch in assault. The Razorback is a flexable unit and which can either transport your units or lay down some accurate anti infantry firepower when needed.

Tactical Squad (10 Men)
Apothecary
1x Meltagun
1x Heavy Weapon (either Multimelta, Heavy Bolter or Missile Launcher)
Rhino
235pts

I left the Apothecary in as you wanted to keep as many as possible. Since your taking a full 10 man squad you may as well take the FREE heavy weapon, even if this is going to be a more mobile unit. You may find yourself defending an objective or remaining static to lay down some fire with this unit, and the extra firepower the heavy weapon gives you will come in useful. If you donít think you will need it you can always remove it as the first casualty.

Heavy Support

Land Raider Crusader
1x TL Assault Cannon
2x Hurricane Bolters
1x Multi-melta
260pts

This will be used to transport Culln and his Terminator bodyguard. The Crusader is a better transport than the standard LR as it is able to fire all of its weapons on the move. I have put a Multi-melta on it as you need the extra anti tank firepower, and as you will be up close to your opponent it will be in its lethal ďmeltaĒ range. The Multi-melta can also fire at a separate target than the rest of your weapons if you want (Power of the machine spirit), allowing you to take on both an infantry unit and tank in the same turn!

This is just a quick rework of your list giving you a few more options (I also found a few minor points errors). If you are looking for a more competitive list you will have to look into dropping some of your more expensive stuff.
Old 06 Dec 2009, 19:06   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Thanks for the help, I'll give the list a try next time that I have a chance to play.

I'm definitely still learning about how to play; I didn't really think too much about combat squading when I made this list. I'm guessing that the first thing to go in a competitive list would be the Dread, followed by one of the Terminator squads. It doesn't really matter too much though, since my group doesn't really play competitively.

Quote:
Old 06 Dec 2009, 20:34   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Glad I could help!

Combat squads can be a really helpful option, the only problem as I pointed out earlier is the fact that your Apothecary's FNP ability will only apply to the 5 man squad he is in. Also don't forget about the combat tactics rule, this can get you out of those really nasty assaults that you have no chance at winning!

Let me know how your game goes.
Old 18 Dec 2009, 10:05   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

where is this codex found?

ive never seen apothecaries in tac squads before... sorry i'm ignorant and curious
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Dec 2009, 11:11   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitardian
where is this codex found?

ive never seen apothecaries in tac squads before... sorry i'm ignorant and curious
The Red Scorpions, as an army list amendment to Codex: Space Marines (4th Edition) originally appeared in Imperial Armour 4: The Anphelion Project. They have since been updated for Codex: Space Marines (5th Edition) in Imperial Armour 7: The Siege of Vraks Part Three. IIRC, the only real change they have is the ability to replace their Tactical Squad Sergeants for Apothecaries (in the same way certain Chapters could do it using the 4th Edition Codex's Traits system), as well as a couple of Special Characters set between the two books mentioned.
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote