Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Termi Time! 1500 sw competitive
Old 27 Nov 2009, 08:20   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Termi Time! 1500 sw competitive

OK all, still working on finding the optimal tournament sw list, and since I've purchased the new sw termies I thought I'd give them a go.

This list is somewhat similar to the first ones I posted here, but is
much more "aggro" oriented. I hope to play it hyper aggressively and play off the hybrid strengths of the grey hunters.

Here goes:

Rune priest
-chooser of the slain, living lightning, jaws of the world wolf

5x wolf guard (480)
-terminator armor
WG1-chainfist
WG2-power weapon, heavy flamer
WG3-twin wolf claws
WG4-storm shield, power wep,
WG5-power wep, melta bombs.
-Land raider
+multi melta

Wolf guard x3 (99)
-power weapon x3, combi melta x3

Grey hunters x8 (185)
-melta, mark of the wulfen, standard, rhino

Grey hunters x8 (185)

Grey hunters x8 (185)

Vindicator (115)

Long fangs x6 (140)
-leader, 5 missile launchers

Total=1499

Terminators I tried to keep cheap and very assaulty. They are going in a regular land raider, so only 5 of them. Gear set up designed for wound allocation.

Other three wg go with GH packs for leadership and melee punch. Rune priest hops in a rhino.

VV1LD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Nov 2009, 08:38   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to crazyguy832
Default Re: Termi Time! 1500 sw competitive

Hi, and welcome to initiative five. Please enjoy your stay in PAIN!

;D

Sorry, couldn't resist.

The problem with non-SS termies really does boil down to I5 assaulters (that and survivability, but in a raider they're fine). They'll tear you apart, and where's your battle plan then? Termies lack the numbers to take hits before returning them. You'll have to rely on firepower from your grey hunters to soften up these targets, which may be hard. Realize that your termies, while effective in close combat, still have tons of problems with it.

I'm almost tempted to recommend a land raider crusader over your standard LR, but that's just personal choice, really.

It's a decent hammer/anvil list. Recognize the weaknesses of each element and you should do okay. There's so much personal choice it's hard to really make specific recommendations without altering the list drastically.

Do It! ;D
5th edition stats (W/D/L)
Deathwing: 14/6/3
Tau: 5/0/3
Blood Angels (NEW): 10/1/3
Blood Angels (OLD): 27/5/10
Eldar: 10/0/1
Death Guard: 1/0/0
crazyguy832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Nov 2009, 16:26   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

SW Terminators can take 3 weapons (that aren't cyclones)?
Domitian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Nov 2009, 20:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyguy832
Hi, and welcome to initiative five. Please enjoy your stay in PAIN!

;D

Sorry, couldn't resist.

The problem with non-SS termies really does boil down to I5 assaulters (that and survivability, but in a raider they're fine). They'll tear you apart, and where's your battle plan then? Termies lack the numbers to take hits before returning them. You'll have to rely on firepower from your grey hunters to soften up these targets, which may be hard. Realize that your termies, while effective in close combat, still have tons of problems with it.

I'm almost tempted to recommend a land raider crusader over your standard LR, but that's just personal choice, really.

It's a decent hammer/anvil list. Recognize the weaknesses of each element and you should do okay. There's so much personal choice it's hard to really make specific recommendations without altering the list drastically.
I have very little experience with assault terminators in general, I usually play very competitive eldar and csm. This will be very much a learning experience. I'm not especially worried about i5 combat units, I know what units these are and I wont be sending the terminators in unsupported. As far as the land raider goes, I can see how a LRC could fit the aggro theme. Ill just have to try both variations. One reason I went with the vanilla version was because my list lacks long range AT aside from LL and long fangs. I had an interesting game vs mech eldar where he took out all my long fangs and rhinos then stayed far away the rest of the game.

@rfury
- sw termis can take practically any loadout they need, but only one heavy wep per 5
Old 28 Nov 2009, 02:39   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

For 1500 points, list does not look bad. Couple of things here.

WG2-power weapon, storm bolter, heavy flamer
Heavy Flamer replaces Storm Bolter

WG3-twin wolf claws, storm bolter
Same thing Claws replace Storm Bolter

WG4-storm shield, power wep, storm bolter
Same thing Power Weapon replaces Storm Bolter

Standard in every GH hunter unit, really waste of points at this Points level. The more bodies the better, if you drop these and the Melta bombs on WG5, you can squeeze in one more Terminator.

You hit the nail on the head when you mention the other player hitting your Long Fangs and your Rhinos. The LR is tough choice at 1500 points level. If all your transports are hit, you humpping it out. The other item is the LR, it will either win you the game or put you at a disadvantage quickly, if it lives past turn three your good. Try the LR out for a few games, if it does not work, try an Assault unit with SW scouts.
Your main problem is highly mobile armies followed by IG.

If you want to try some ideas, let me know, I am currently working (adding models) on a 1500, 1750, 2K and 2500 points lists for Space Wolves. Personally, I don't give a hoot about Fluff when it comes to my armies, my lists are balanced for all comers.
Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Wolf-Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Nov 2009, 02:43   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Wolf tau beat me to it on the wolf guard weapon load out.

What I would recommend is at least giving your wolf guard with the chain fist a wolf tooth necklace, now that it works on vehicles you can laugh at the people(tau and eldar) who are expecting their faster vehickles to survive on your chance of needng 6s to hit.
space wolf bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Nov 2009, 03:03   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by space wolf bob
Wolf tau beat me to it on the wolf guard weapon load out.

What I would recommend is at least giving your wolf guard with the chain fist a wolf tooth necklace, now that it works on vehicles you can laugh at the people(tau and eldar) who are expecting their faster vehicles to survive on your chance of needng 6s to hit.
It only works on those with a comparative weapon skill, during close combat. It would be great if it did though.

WT
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Old 28 Nov 2009, 15:48   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

You sure about that? It always said before that it only worked on models with a WS now it just says regardless of comparative weapon skill.
space wolf bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Nov 2009, 19:20   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by space wolf bob
You sure about that? It always said before that it only worked on models with a WS now it just says regardless of comparative weapon skill.
In the SW dex, it states In Close combat a model hits on a 3+. There is no close combat with a vehicle. You find it in the Rule book in the Vehicle section under Vehicle Assaults, 5th ed threw in a vehicle nerf so we always hit on a weak side armour of a vehicle anyways.

It makes sense to me but so does the WG making a 10 model unit.

WT
May your dice always roll HOT!

WT
Old 28 Nov 2009, 23:37   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thanks for the comments guys, very informative. Ill correct the terminator loadouts. As far as the raider is concerned, after playing many tournaments with mono land raider csm lists I'm fairly comfortable keeping it alive. It'll be even more fun with machine spirit. Ill definitely need to playtest a lot to see what variation to take. I'm going with standard just for long range and reliable anti armor.

I'm not necessarily opposed to taking standards off grey hunters, but I do only have one squad of terminator models available, so list is capped at 5. Also, I've run out of melta gun bits.....stupid grey hunters boxes don't even include one, else I would probably run 10 man squads with 2x melta.

I'm very excited to try terminators out!