Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

500 pt test list
Old 23 Nov 2009, 17:10   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default 500 pt test list

I own no space marines, but I felt the urge to see what compilation i could come up with just for kicks. Maybe pick some up at a later date

Captain w/ termi armor, storm bolter and power sword - 140

command squad w/ company standard, company champion, 1 flamer and 1 thunder hammer - 180

Two bare bones Tactical Squads - 180

feels real slim to me, probably need more time to familiarize with the codex, but any input would be nice
zjordan85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Dec 2009, 11:58   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: 500 pt test list

I would say those 180pts spent on a Command Squad are wasted. Why not get rid of the squad and bulk out your Tac Marines? Or buy them some some varying weapons, or a couple of Rhinos?

Terminator Captain, Storm Bolter, Power Sword - 140

Tac Squad Primus (10 men) Flamer, Missile Launcher - 160pts

Tac Squad Secondus (10 men), Rhino Transport - 195pts

This gives you a larger variety of tactics to choose from.
Old 09 Dec 2009, 03:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

What rules are you using? Modified combat patrol?

Purefire, I assume you don't own the codex, as you've undercosted both tactical squads by ten points each.

If you mush keep the captain interminator armor (I prefer the artificer equivelent, if that. I'd possilby pass on acaptain at this points level), the I can write up a quick list.

Captain, Terminator Armour(with termie basics)- 140pts

At this level, most captains (and chaplains) are used as counterassult units. I see libbys a lot here.

Tactical squad 1 (10)- 185
-Plasmacannon
-Plasmagun

I use a squad like this in larger games to lay down a lot of AP2 fire. You could swap the Plasmacannon for a Missile Launcher to cut down on points and up the anti-tank. at this points level, don't expect heavy armor, if any.

If you take the latter route, you can take two squads like that. If not, the other squad can take a plasmacannon or a meltagun. I like to put meltabombs on my sergeants, but not at this points level.

If you take Tactical squad like this[(10), Plasmagun, Missile Launcher], you should be set to takle most things at this points level. It'll be pretty static though, but not much can be done at 500pts.

So..

Captain, Terminator Armour- 140pts

Tactical Squad 1 (10) -180pts
-Missile Launcher
-Plasmagun

Tactical Squad 2 (10)- 180pts
-Missile Launcher
Plasmagun

That should get you a rounded (if static) force able to take care of most things at this points level. Vehicles are hard to do here, as they break one of my own rules (if you bring vehicles, bring two), along with that they wo'nt be particularly powerful as they'll need to be cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2009, 00:30   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I was going from memory, and obv I can't specify the individual points costs, but a full squad of marines is 160pts and you can take a flamer and missile launcher for free as long as the squad is full, no? :-\
Old 11 Dec 2009, 01:28   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

The sarge is factored into the base cost, is madatory, and isn't "free". A full tactical squad with a free heavy/special is 170 points. In the interest of forum rules, we'll just say that the non-optional sarge is a ten point "upgrade".

Quote:
Quote:
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Old 11 Dec 2009, 01:29   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I am also going from memory but I think its 170 for the full squad plus sarge and freebie weapons, not 160. I may be wrong, but the BASIC cost of the squad of 5 is up a bit because of sarge.

More back to the point... That command squad is very unnecessary in such a low cost force. A Librarian for a flat 100 points is far more useful and just gets assigned to a tactical battlesquad for his 'bodyguard' aka meatshield. He also gets a psykic hood, which is becoming more useful as the newer codex come out very psyke heavy (lash, jaws, primaris being the latest examples - and you know nids are gonna get one too).

All that plus librarian powers, as opposed to a Captain, who needs weapon upgrades to be at all potent... so costs more, and does less. You would be better off dumping that command squad for another tac squad. (Who brings a standard to a battle with only about 25 men to rally around it anyways? it seems a bit out of place)

Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2009, 23:15   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Gearhead, my bad, grabbed my codex and realised I was using their new points cost with the old rules, or some dodgy combination. Regardless, yes they're 170pts. My bad :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitardian
I am also going from memory but I think its 170 for the full squad plus sarge and freebie weapons, not 160. I may be wrong, but the BASIC cost of the squad of 5 is up a bit because of sarge.

More back to the point... That command squad is very unnecessary in such a low cost force. A Librarian for a flat 100 points is far more useful and just gets assigned to a tactical battlesquad for his 'bodyguard' aka meatshield. He also gets a psykic hood, which is becoming more useful as the newer codex come out very psyke heavy (lash, jaws, primaris being the latest examples - and you know nids are gonna get one too).

All that plus librarian powers, as opposed to a Captain, who needs weapon upgrades to be at all potent... so costs more, and does less. You would be better off dumping that command squad for another tac squad. (Who brings a standard to a battle with only about 25 men to rally around it anyways? it seems a bit out of place)

This ;D
Old 16 Dec 2009, 00:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purefire
Gearhead, my bad, grabbed my codex and realised I was using their new points cost with the old rules, or some dodgy combination. Regardless, yes they're 170pts. My bad :
If I sounded uppity, that wasn't my intention. Apologies if I came across as rude :-[. The sarge kind of sneaks in there.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitardian

This ;D
Indeed. The command squad is very top heavy and not terribly useful. I'm hesitant to write up a list because I don't know what models you have acess to, but the Libby (even without upgrades) is very useful in low points games, even stock.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 16 Dec 2009, 16:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

For the most part though, most space marine characters are pretty customizable figure options, just depends on how you paint them. My old captain was an old metal chaplain, the bald guy, just cuz I liked the pose. Chop off the crozius and tack on the sword. A librarian can be emulated with all those bits in the captain box if you get creative enough. A 'force weapon' is not a very descriptive idea to adhere to modelling wise (maybe a 'force axe? maybe a staff? maybe a sword?) I think painting it distincly could make it a librarian and nobody would be be so anal as to call you on it. Neither is a psykic hood a very distinct idea. Just a wierd looking helmet that stands out from your standard Mk.VIIs would probably serve just fine. The easier way is just pick up a blister pack librarian and not bother converting your captain, leave him around for when the army gets bigger.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote