Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Back to tabletop: 1500 SW
Old 11 Nov 2009, 05:34   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Back to tabletop: 1500 SW

Just started playing 40k again, wanted a bit of advice on a new SW list, here goes;

Njal

Rune Priest
-living lightning, jaws

3x Wolf Guard
-3x PF, 3x combi melta

8x Grey Hunters
-melta, standard, motw
-rhino

8x Grey Hunters
-melta, standard, motw
-rhino

9x grey hunters
-power weapon, melta, motw
-rhino

Lone Wolf
-chainfist, storm shield, terminator armor

6 long fangs
-5x missile launchers

vindicator

vindicator

Basic strats...
-Njal+1x wolf guard go with 1st grey hunter unit, rune priest+1x wolf guard goes with second GH unit and obviously the third goes with remaining unit.
-lone wolf wanders around being a bullet magnet/threat to most everything big.
-grey hunter squads are pretty basic. Meltas primarily for helping to pop armor and mcs. Power wep and motw for anti meq and versatility, pf self explanatory.
-long fangs are basic anti light armor and anti horde in a pinch (not super effective any horde, but still decent).
-I took meltas+pf in all the units to deal with armor and MC's, I think I have enough templates (psychic powers, long fangs, and vindicators) to deal with groups/swarms.

I could swap njal for two more priests and some points, or go with two priests and more troops (maybe even some scouts?) .

Comments appreciated!
VV1LD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2009, 21:03   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Back to tabletop: 1500 SW

20 views and no comments? I remembered this forum being more active in the past oO
Old 13 Nov 2009, 02:42   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to jhontauel Send a message via MSN to jhontauel Send a message via Yahoo to jhontauel

I don't know the new space wolves book. My main concern would be ultra shooty armies like tau or gaurd.

Playing 40k since 2002
jhontauel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2009, 04:11   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Drop the banners, they aren't worth the points you pay for them. Drop Njal or the other Rune priest, you've spent way to much on HQ power for this level of play. Get some more scoring bodies. 25 is really weak for 1500. Get rid of the Lone Wolf, they have sketchy results and he's very expensive for 1 model. You can use the points else where. Consider getting some dozer blades or Siege Shields for the Vindicators. Configure the LF pack like this; 6 Fangs, ML x3, LC x2 (170) You can take Heavy armor at range that way.

Otherwise, it's a good starting list.
Sun_Forge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2009, 20:01   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thanks for the responses, ill take it all into conderation when I remake list after a couple test games. I'm really curious as to whether scouts would be a useful investment
Old 13 Nov 2009, 20:07   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I personally don't like Njal plus the second runepriest, which seems to be taken just for the extra jaws thing. Nor do I like the identicle weapon combos on the wolfguard. It seems very opportunistic, unfluffy, and not very sporty for 1500 points. But hey that's just one guy's opinion.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2009, 07:01   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitardian
I personally don't like Njal plus the second runepriest, which seems to be taken just for the extra jaws thing. Nor do I like the identicle weapon combos on the wolfguard. It seems very opportunistic, unfluffy, and not very sporty for 1500 points. But hey that's just one guy's opinion.
I'd forgotten that this forum is a bit more relaxed. Since I haven't posted here in quite a while I should make it known than I play primarily competitive lists. I think the word "opportunistic" is rather silly when talking about army lists of any sort. Its like calling a football team the same for getting better draft picks. On the same note, Im not trying to be sarcastic or rude, just explaining how I play the game. In the two days I've been surfing the forum I've seen more rediculous arguments than I have in the previous three years and I'm not about to start another....

In short, please critique the list without any regard to fluff. I'm not a fan of fluff, it doesn't interest me in the slightest. I play the game because I like the strategy and planning aspects.

Appreciate the comments, keep 'em coming!
Old 14 Nov 2009, 07:17   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by VV1LD
Quote:
I'd forgotten that this forum is a bit more relaxed. Since I haven't posted here in quite a while I should make it known than I play primarily competitive lists. I think the word "opportunistic" is rather silly when talking about army lists of any sort. Its like calling a football team the same for getting better draft picks. On the same note, Im not trying to be sarcastic or rude, just explaining how I play the game. In the two days I've been surfing the forum I've seen more rediculous arguments than I have in the previous three years and I'm not about to start another....

In short, please critique the list without any regard to fluff. I'm not a fan of fluff, it doesn't interest me in the slightest. I play the game because I like the strategy and planning aspects.

Lol, at least you cut to the quick of the matter.

Personally, I like the X5 Missile launchers, but my army also has no AV14 soo.. *shrugs*
You have enough Melta to get through most AV14 you could face, so no worries there.

I like the list overall really, from a competitive viewpoint. I don't care for Lone wolves, but that's likely a personal preference atm. Other than him, this is a list I would feel happy to play against in a serious environment, in casual it'd feel a tad on the strong side, but you made clear your preferred standard of play so no complaints here.

Good job.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2009, 10:37   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by VV1LD
Quote:

gotcha. no offense meant. I'm a goofy fun game gamer and not concerned with compet too much unless I play soeone who is.

IN THAT case... I still don't like the second runepriest. Its so many points and you know it will just be an excuse to use a second power, which, yes it is powerful and all, but Njal is going to be calling up all sorts of psykic mess as it is just building up turn after turn, also blasting off his specific powers. I think you would do better to make him some sort of bodyguard with those rune-priest points, even if its some grunt un-upgraded squad just as shields. He gets more powerful the longer the game goes on, and you know any competative enemy will be doing his best to try and kill him off before the drizzle-becomes-rain-becomes-thunder-becomes-hurricane sort of progression of his special ability moves along. You could tack on some squad for the same price , that he can attach to, just to increase his survivability without having him have to run with one of your objective squads. Remember your opponent will probably know what he can do and will go out of his way to off him fast. More bodies! yay! again... no offense meant.. hope this one was more helpful.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2009, 20:14   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thank you both for the constructive criticism : ). I'll play test the list without the second caster and lone wolf, after my first game today. What I'm wondering though is what exactly I'd replace them with...

I've been wanting to go give termies a try but havent really been able to fit them in. I bought the new sw term box and really like the models.