Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ultimate Space Wolf 1750 List
Old 26 Oct 2009, 04:32   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Ultimate Space Wolf 1750 List

I am looking at using this list a basic list to add on to get the army to 2500 for 'ard Boyz. It has some shooting stuff in it but that is what I love about the new SW dex, I can have shooty stuff in there as well.

I plan to set up both Long Fangs in a center and slight upper left or slight upper right formation like a semi circle. I don't want them in corner because of opponents coming in from the sides. I need 2 to 3 turns of good shooting from both units, anything extra is just cake.

The SkyClaws will try to sit back for a turn until they are needed unless there is something that needs to be stopped. Long Fangs need to be shooting from turn 1. Do as much damage as possible. I am thinking of cutting this unit by one bike, to use points for something else.

Bikes are only there to kill heavy Tanks, AV13 or AV14. If there is no armor to kill they will just tie up a unit until my SkyClaws can come in, or my drop pods are on the ground. I am thinking of cutting this unit by one bike, to use points for something else.

Scouts are to kill rear sitting units, Tau HQs, IG HQs, and such. They will also back up Drop Pod 1 which will have the Rune Priest in there.

Not sure how the other stuff will play out.

HQs
Rune Priest
Goes with Grey Hunter Unit 1

Murderous Hurricane
Jaws of the World Wolf
Runic Weapon
Master of Runes
Plasma Pistol
Runic Armor
Wolftooth Necklace
Saga of the Beast slayer

Total 205

Elites
Wolf Guard

1) Power Armor + Tactical Dreadnaught Armor + Cyclone Missile Launcher Goes with Long Fang unit 1
2) Power Armor Frost Blade (Goes with Grey Hunter 2
3) Power Armor Frost Axe Goes with Scout Unit 2
4) Power Armor Jump Pack + Power Fist (Goes with SkyClaws)
5) Power Armor TDA (Goes with Long Fang unit 2)

Total 215

Wolf Scout Pack Unit 1 (Tank Hunter)

Scout Armor CC weapon, Bolt Pistol Frag/Krak grenades, acute senses, Counter-attack, Infiltrate, Move through Cover, Scout, Behind Enemy Lines.
5 scouts
Mark of Wulfen
Meltagun
Plasma Pistol

Total 115

Wolf Scout Pack Unit 2 (Close Combat)
Scout Armor CC weapon, Bolt Pistol Frag/Krak grenades, acute senses, Counter-attack, Infiltrate, Move through Cover, Scout, Behind Enemy Lines.
6 scouts
Mark of Wulfen
Flamer
Power Weapon
Power Weapon

Total 140

Troops
Grey Hunters unit 1

CC weapon, Bolt Pistol Frag/Krak grenades, Bolter, / acute senses, Counter-attack.
9 troops
Plasmagun
Plasmagun Free (squad must have 10, 9 plus Rune Priest )
Powerfist
Drop Pod
Open topped Strom bolter

Total unit cost= 205

Grey Hunters unit 2
CC weapon, Bolt Pistol Frag/Krak grenades, Bolter, / acute senses, Counter-attack.
9 troops
Meltagun
Meltagun Free (squad must have 10, 9 plus WG)
Plasma Pistol
Powerfist
Drop Pod
Open topped Strom bolter

Total unit cost = 215

Fast Attack
SwiftClaw Biker Pack

this unit maybe changed to count as a Thunderwolf Unit
CC weapon, Bolt Pistol Frag/Krak grenades Bike/Acute Counter-attack, Headstrong, Berserk Charge
6 bikes
Meltagun
Powerfist
Meltabombs
Total 215

SkyClaw Assault Pack
Bolt Pistol, CC weapon, Frag/Krak grenades Jump Pack/Acute Counter-attack, Headstrong, Berserk Charge
7 SkyClaws
Meltagun
Powerfist
Mark of the Wulfen
Total Unit Cost - 176

Heavy Support
Long Fangs Unit 1

(6 total including Pack leader)
Hvy Bolter x 3
Missile Launcher x2
Total 125

Unit 2(6 total)
Hvy Bolter x 3
Plasma Cannon
Missile Launcher x 1

Total = 135

Total come to 1746

Wolf-Tau

*edit - to make list look better *
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Wolf-Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2009, 12:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Ultimate Space Wolf 1750 List

You need to have 10 grey hunters to get the free second special weapon. The wolfguard aren't technically joined to the unit until deployment.

If you have 9 grey hunters and a wolfguard in a drop pod in your first squad, how do you plan on adding the rune priest to them? Space wolf drop pods only hold 10 models.

You said that both grey hunters have a wolf guard attached to them. In your wolf guard squad you are missing a wolf guard then unless you typed something down wrong.

Those are what I could see looking at it quick
space wolf bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2009, 16:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

@ Space Wolf Bob - Good catch on the 1st Grey Hunter unit, I did type it in wrong. I now remarked it to show the Rune Priest attached not the WG.

Dex says the unit must number 10 models, not 10 grey hunters. GW took into account Drop Pods in this one and the addition of HQ or WG. So the Rune Priest will have to deploy with the unit, as he is its leader giving me the 10 models in a unit as per the codex.

Any other comments on the make of the units or the make of them? 1750 is points it tight, I really like the scounts but I wonder of if I am over doing it with two units.

WT
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Old 26 Oct 2009, 16:57   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf-Tau
Dex says the unit must number 10 models, not 10 grey hunters. GW took into account Drop Pods in this one and the addition of HQ or WG. So the Rune Priest will have to deploy with the unit, as he is its leader giving me the 10 models in a unit as per the codex.
No. The unit must contain 10 models. The Rune Priest is not part of the Grey Hunters unit, he is merely tagging along.

also, you cannot have Power Armour and Terminator Armour. That's a physical impossibility. It's one or the other.

I frankly don't see the point in the Long Fang's Wolf Guard - his equipment isn't that useful. You're paying 15pts for a Storm Bolter, when you could take a Wolf Guard in Power Armour with combi-weapon instead... for 5pts cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2009, 17:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Quote:
No. The unit must contain 10 models. The Rune Priest is not part of the Grey Hunters unit, he is merely tagging along.

I see where you are going with this WG but I disagree with you here. (unless I missed something in the rules, maybe you can point it out WG) Reason I say this is because the codex says models not Grey Hunters. As long as the unit numbers ten models when deployed and it being deployed by drop pod, which is limited to 10 only. But in the interest of fair gaming, I would like to hear from the other players as well. I have checked the FAQ for regular vanilla marines and it does not mention anything. If is sounds like cheese let me know.

also, you cannot have Power Armour and Terminator Armour. That's a physical impossibility. It's one or the other.

You can have mixed armor, you just can not have it certain units as stated in the dex.

I frankly don't see the point in the Long Fang's Wolf Guard - his equipment isn't that useful. You're paying 15pts for a Storm Bolter, when you could take a Wolf Guard in Power Armour with combi-weapon instead... for 5pts cheaper.

That is the beauty of it, I can assign wounds and with terminator armor, I can assign him wounds to help the unit as whole. Cheesey maybe, but legal, yes very legal. I was thinking it was going to be the NEW technique to do with Long Fangs like the Fish of Furry tactic.

Plus the other unit of Long Fangs with the Cyclone ML is going to do lots of damage (I hope) .

WT
Old 26 Oct 2009, 17:45   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
I see where you are going with this WG but I disagree with you here. (unless I missed something in the rules, maybe you can point it out WG) Reason I say this is because the codex says models not Grey Hunters. As long as the unit numbers ten models when deployed and it being deployed by drop pod, which is limited to 10 only. But in the interest of fair gaming, I would like to hear from the other players as well. I have checked the FAQ for regular vanilla marines and it does not mention anything. If is sounds like cheese let me know.
NO! It is 10 models when the army list is made!

The reason it says "10 models" and not "10 Grey Hunters" is that Wolf Guard aren't Grey Hunters. They are, however, part of the unit for all intents and purposes - they "swap" their position from being a member of the Wolf Guard squad to being part of whatever squad you assign them to.

Quote:
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 26 Oct 2009, 18:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

The wolf guard unit can take power armour/terminator as in the units entry it says ANY unit can take terminator armour for the cost of xx. It doesn't say that they all need it.

And it is 10 grey hunters. When your are purchasing the greyhunters squad there is no other units assigned to them. If they could be bought as a retinue for the HQ then you could count the HQ towards the 10 person limit. The HQ/wolf guard are added to the squad after everything is purchased and right before you deploy. You don't technically add HQs and wolf guard to your units until right before you deploy they are all seperate. Thats why you are supposed to declare who goes with what when you deploy.
Old 26 Oct 2009, 18:27   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by space wolf bob
The wolf guard unit can take power armour/terminator as in the units entry it says ANY unit can take terminator armour for the cost of xx. It doesn't say that they all need it.
A Wolf Guard unit can, but an individual model cannot have two types of armour. Either you give a Wolf Guard Terminator Armour, which removes his Power Armour, or you don't. You cannot have them both.

Quote:
Old 26 Oct 2009, 19:52   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Oh I get what you mean now. The one wolf guard listed has having power armour and TDA. That makes more sense now.

Old 26 Oct 2009, 22:55   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Quote:
Originally Posted by space wolf bob
A Wolf Guard unit can, but an individual model cannot have two types of armour. Either you give a Wolf Guard Terminator Armour, which removes his Power Armour, or you don't. You cannot have them both.
I undestand now what you are all talking about, my intent was to show that I purchased the WG (with Power Armor) and paid the difference for TDA so it is now a Terminator no Power Armor! I wish you were more clear on what you meant WG.
WG are basically a unit of Sgts like in regular space marines and you are attaching one to the basic unit which does not have an Sgt listing to begin with.
The Rune Priest is an IC so I may have to rethink the 10 model unit. If I go with WG, I just need to add the extra points to the 1st Grey Hunter unit.

WT