Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1500 "Best of" Space Marines
Old 12 Oct 2009, 17:49   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default 1500 "Best of" Space Marines

This is my version of Stelek's "best of space marines" list. My idea was that the dreadnoughts would take out light vehicles, the Tactical squads would hide out inside their Rhinos that would act as bunkers, and the Land Speeders would hunt enemy vehicles in a counter-attack or sacrificial role. What do you guys think?

Best of Space Marines v2 1500 Pts - Space Marines: Codex Army

1 Master of the Forge (HQ) @ 185 Pts
Thunder Hammer; Conversion Beamer; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades
Space Marine Bike

1 Dreadnought (Elites) @ 125 Pts
Front Armour: 12; Side Armour: 12; Rear Armour: 10; Twin-linked
Autocannon; Twin-linked Autocannon
#Smoke Launchers
#Searchlight

#Smoke Launchers
#Searchlight

#Smoke Launchers
#Searchlight

9 Tactical Squad (Troops) @ 210 Pts
Combat Squads; Bolt Pistol (x9); Bolter (x7); Multi-Melta (x1); Flamer;
Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades

1 Space Marine Sergeant
Bolt Pistol; Bolter; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Melta Bombs

1 Rhino @ [35] Pts
Storm Bolter
#Searchlight
#Smoke Launchers

1 Space Marine Sergeant

1 Rhino @ [35] Pts
Storm Bolter
#Searchlight
#Smoke Launchers

1 Space Marine Sergeant

1 Rhino @ [35] Pts
Storm Bolter
#Searchlight
#Smoke Launchers

1 Land Speeder Tornado (Fast Attack) @ 70 Pts
Multi-Melta; Heavy Flamer

1 Land Speeder Tornado (Fast Attack) @ 70 Pts
Multi-Melta; Heavy Flamer

1 Predator (Heavy Support) @ 85 Pts
2 Spons. Hvy Bolters; Turret Autocannon
#Searchlight
#Smoke Launchers

1 Predator (Heavy Support) @ 85 Pts
2 Spons. Hvy Bolters; Turret Autocannon
#Searchlight
#Smoke Launchers

Models in Army: 41
Domitian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Oct 2009, 18:34   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: 1500 "Best of" Space Marines

There seems to be plenty of redundancy, which I suppose is great. Nothing better to wreck vehicles than a couple of TL-AC. I tend to like little bits of diversity here and there, if only to keep me entertained/have options during a game.

The MoTF on a bike, with a beamer, and a hammer; he seems a bit unfocused. What kind of things is that HQ going to be doing? As well, his fortified piece of terrain, who is going to use it? Perhaps a Captain would better suit this role (by going the assault oriented route). If not, toss the thunderhammer for maybe just a powerfist? Again, he just seems like a confusing unit to take.

Dreadnoughts seem awesome.

Idk about rhinos as mobile bunkers, but hey its the best we've got right. I mean I don't consider my piranhas mobile gunships.

I don't really know much about landspeeders other than they don't like me. Looking at them, I am wondering of you can somehow swap weapons around so that one is tank hunting, the other infantry hunting. This strange hybrid speeder seems to want to do both, which warns me it may be more expensive than it has to be.

Preds are pretty cheap, alright.

What worries me is things like a 2+ save carnifex, or for that matter a 3+ save carnifex, hive tyrant, etc. You will be force to improvise Multimeltas to kill them. Sure S7 can wound em, but you are gonna have to exhaust all of your fire to make a dent. I would like to see maybe one pred be totally expensive but have LC on it just in case. Hmmm, or maybe with that MoTF sneak in that extra dread with a TL-LC on it just to have one around. Idk, it might not even be a problem.

Another thing that I wouldn't like is an infantry heavy marine army. But again, that's ton of AC shots, any threat can probably be exterminated quickly. I'm just thinking things like an army I would field would have a ton of marines, usually 3 tac squads, with 3 assault squads as support (in which is my captain and Chaplain with Jump Packs). I just don't know if you could take down what's needed fast enough.
Old 13 Oct 2009, 20:03   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

I played a game against my friend's Imperial guard list yesterday and won. His list was mostly mechanized melta veterans, a mechanized Psyker Battle Squad, plasma gun stormtroopers, hydra squadron and a Leman Russ Executioner.

My rifleman dreadnoughts did a good job on his Chimeras and taking fire that would have otherwise opened up my Rhinos. I think you are right about the Master of the Forge being over-tooled, as he would probably be better cheap and sacrificial with the points otherwise spent on another Land Speeder.

You are right that my army might have trouble against lots of 2+ save carnifexes, but a codex marine horde doesn't scare me much. My usual army is two LRC with Thunder Hammer Assault Terminators, but that doesn't scale down well to 1500 points and I wanted to try a different style of army.
Old 14 Oct 2009, 12:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I am not too surprised you trounced those guard, most of what you have would be safe from melta with good priority, and executioner isn't that terrifying against most of the units fielded.

Terminators with thunderhammers (+ LRC) would quickly dispatch any worries I would have, but yes, there's ~ 500 points you don't have.

Those 'riflemen' dreads, can they be built from a new dread box, were they 'count as', or did you do a tin of conversion work?
Old 14 Oct 2009, 14:33   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

As it was the first time playing with them, I proxied normal dreadnoughts. I'm not sure whether I should spring for the expensive Forge World arms or buy some extra dreadnought arms and convert them with IG autocannons or scratch-build the guns with polystyrene rods.