Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Black Templars 750 points, please rate!
Old 14 Sep 2009, 21:01   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Black Templars 750 points, please rate!

Okay guys this is a list for a game with FOURTH EDITION in mind, as my friends just recently got back to 40k after a long school break and aren't ready yet for fifth.

Vow: Accept any Challange, no matter the odds!

HQ: 277p.

Master of Sanctity
weapons: Powerfist, Crozius Arcanum, Holy Orb of Antioch
wargear: Rosarius, terminator honors, fragmentation grenades, crusader seals

Emperor's Champion
weapons: The Black Sword, boltpistol
wargear:Armor of Faith, crusader seals, terminator honors (already in profile), frags

Vow: Accept any Challange, no matter the odds!

Troops: 348p.

Crusader Squad
6 initiates w. boltpistols and cc-weapons
1 initiate w. boltpistol and powerfist
1 initiate w. melta
3 neophytes w. boltpistols and cc-weapons

Crusader Squad
7 initiates w. boltpistols and cc-weapons
1 initiate w. boltpistol and powerfist
1 initiate w. flamer

Heavy Support:

Predator Destructor
weapons: Autocannon,
2 side sponsons w. 1 Lascannon each

Total: 750 points
(22 models, 1 tank)

Tactics:

So this list has equipped against all types of enemies:

flamer, close combat chainsword and boltpistol wielding tempalrs against hordes
2 powerfists, melta and the annihilator's two lascannons against monstrous creatures and tanks
2 powerfists, melta, emperor's champion and the uber chaplain with 5 base power weapon attacks against heavy infantry, plus the annihilator can also help thinning terminators out with its lascannons.
Since my list lacks anti-tank, I reckoned the Annihilator would be better than a Vindicator.

Thus, I know due to 4th edition that powerfist and boltpistol still gives me +1 attack for having 2 cc-weapons AND that the accept any challenge makes my guys hit in cc on a 3+ (instead of the 5th ed re-roll) and my chappy's holy orb doesn't scatter.

Any suggestions are welcome

Cheers,
-Silver
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2009, 13:54   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190
Default Re: Black Templars 750 points, please rate!

Drop the Master of Sanctity, you don't need a chaplain at this small of a battle, spend the points on more Initiates.

Also, did you pay the points for an Annihilator? Because the Destructor comes with the autocannon.
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2009, 14:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icer
Drop the Master of Sanctity, you don't need a chaplain at this small of a battle, spend the points on more Initiates.
The Emperor's Champion does not occupy an HQ slot, but I need to take him at games bigger than 500 points. So I'm forced to take the Chappy. And while I'm at it, I thought I could make use of his superior initiative over normal marines and pump some points into increasing his armor save ignoring attacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icer
Also, did you pay the points for an Annihilator? Because the Destructor comes with the autocannon.
Well actually it is a Destructilator, as it has the Destructor's Autocannon, but the Annihilator's Lasercannon side-sponsons, so I didn't know what to name him.

Thing is, I can't afford upgrading the autocannon to a TL-Lascannon (much as I'd like to), because the extra points would mean ditching my three neophytes, who I think, are worth more.
Old 15 Sep 2009, 16:16   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

However, the FAQ states that the Emperor's Champion counts as your manditory HQ choice if you so wish. And you don't have to take him until 750.

Its a Destructor because it has the Autocannon, the sponsons can be purchased for any and all Predators.
Old 15 Sep 2009, 17:02   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Okay. Then should I replace the Chaplain with a Vindicator? (I don't have too many marines, so a third crusader squad is not possible)
Old 15 Sep 2009, 17:42   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

If you want, it is the most deadly tank in the SM arsenal. Other than a BT Crusader with an assault terminator squad.
Old 15 Sep 2009, 17:53   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The thing is, a Chaplain is harder to kill than a Vindicator, as you'll need to get past three wounds and past his 4+ inv. save as well, while his superior initiative allows him to strike faster, or at least at the same time with pretty much everyone he faces.

However, he only wounds 50% of his hits against T4 opponents while the VIndicator's shell not only insta-kills most normal multi-wound infantry, but usually wounds anything on a 2+ to boot. AND it can deal damage from turn 2 onwards (4th edition rules, ordnance can't move and shoot; you start 24.1'' from the enemy and only machine spirit can allow the tank to move and shoot), while the chappy can only deal damage in close combat (which is usually by turn 4)

But the vindicator can be taken out by a single lucky shot...or at least its shooting capacity rendered useless by a single lucky hit....while the only thing that can incapacitate a chaplain is a S8 wound that goes past his inv. save.

...so I don't really know what to take
Old 15 Sep 2009, 17:54   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Vindicator with Power of the Machine Spirit.

You'd be surprised how long it will last.

And if they're shooting him that's firepower not targeted at your marines.