Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1500 Space Marines List
Old 05 Sep 2009, 05:22   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to MDRedeemer Send a message via MSN to MDRedeemer
Default 1500 Space Marines List

So I've decided to write up a list based off of some ideas I looked at, and realizing there are just some models I like a lot and feel like using. Probably gonna proxy the army and tweak it until its right before I go ahead and buy it and thought maybe you guys could help me out with that.

HQ:
Chaplain Cassius - 125

Troops:
Scout Sergeant w/ Powerfist, Combi-Melta
x4 Scouts w/ Combat blades and Bolt Pistols - 110

Scout Sergeant w/ Powerfist, Combi-Melta
x4 Scouts w/ Combat Blades and Bolt Pistols - 110

Sergeant w/ Powerfist
Marine w/ Lascannon
x8 Marines - 205

Sergeant w/ Powerfist, Combi-Flamer
Marine w/ Flamer
Marine w/ Missile Launcher
x7 Marines
Drop Pod Transport w/ Deathwind Launcher - 260

Elites:
Ironclad Dreadnought w/ Hunter-Killer Missile, Heavy Flamer, Meltagun, Seismic Hammer, Drop Pod - 190

Ironclad Dreadnought w/ Hunter-Killer Missile, Heavy Flamer, Meltagun, Seismic Hammer, Drop Pod - 190

Fast Attack:
x3 Land Speeders each with 2 Heavy Bolters.

Land Speeder Storm w/ Multi-Melta - 65

Land Speeder Storm w/ Multi-Melta - 65

The strategy with this list is to scout move the Land Speeder Storms into place with scout squads inside and go after isolated tanks and squads, where the Ironclads turn 1 drop in to wreak havoc and attempt to split their army apart (Or attract CC squads bent on trying to wreck it right away) Given the strong amount of anti-tank most vehicles in theory will be toast. From there the land Speeder squadron will harass infantry with 18 heavy bolter shots a turn, while the 3rd drop pod carrying Cassius and a tactical squad drop where needed to support an attack or grab an objective. Cassius is meant to be a cheap and effective HQ to soak damage and aid this land grab attempt. The last squad sits back and plugs away at opportune targets and holds an objective defensively.

Idea was to be a fast striking army without heavy supports, or at the least not reliant upon Land Raiders like I commonly see in my area. Any pointers?
Old 05 Sep 2009, 14:38   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: 1500 Space Marines List

I think that a librarian or master of the forge would be a better HQ, as you have to close combat units for Cassius to join. I think you also should drop one of those scout squads and get another ironclad. Probably don't need the hunter-killer missiles and your first tactical squad should have a free flamer. There will be times when you wish you had a flamer instead of another bolter, such as when you face hordes of orks. I'm not a fan of the land speeder loadouts, but tell me how it works out for you in practise games.
Domitian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Sep 2009, 19:06   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Two things that seem quite...strange to me:

1) Why the Deathwind Launcher on the Tactical Drop Pod? You already have plenty of anti-horde within that unit, with the two flamer shots, and the frag template and, not least, plenty of bolter shots.

2) The lack of transport for the second Tactical Squad - with only the Lascannon having an appropriate range for stationary shooting, seems a bit of a waste of nine other models....

As such, If I were in your position MDRedeemer, I'd drop the Hunter-Killers as RFury suggested, along with the Deathwind Launcher, and purchase a second transport: my own preference would be to equip both Tactical Squads with Rhinos, leaving you with more flexibility in later turns. As it is, you have plenty of vehicles on the field, all of which can deepstrike, and help dilute any incoming fire, and leave the transports to survive longer.
However, I can see the need for the ironclads to come down together, so I suppose choice of transport just comes down to personal choice, especially since costs are very similar.

Good luck

Apollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2009, 08:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to MDRedeemer Send a message via MSN to MDRedeemer

All valid ideas and suggestions, and I see the reasonings.

I am against the dropping of the scout squad. It detracts from the fast attack nature of the list, and it is one less scoring unit. Small scout teams aren't exactly tough to kill, so a pair of them is preferable. Also flexible. Swapping out Cassius however does sound like a good idea, and I'll toy around with other HQ ideas when I can.

I put the deathwind launcher on the last drop pod as I needed to spend 20 points. Also, when this drop pod lands, the squad inside will likely cause heavy damage to whatever it looks at, however I intend to make the drop pod become a target by making it a threat as it will no doubt have more than one target to drop pieplates on.

The second tactical squad is meant to be largely stationary, holding an objective and pounding targets with the lascannon. Given the flamer is free, I can easily slip this in if I find I would need it. I didn't feel a transport was much of a necessity.

The last one is the agreement on the Hunter-Killers. I chose to use one on each dreadnought to always allow them to be a threat. Outside of 12" they are glorified AT magnets, but with at least one accurate missile each, they can still do damage where needed, especially with the unlimited range. I can also choose to employ different deepstrike maneuvers and still remain effective.