Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1500/1750 list for TO meet-up - needs C&C quick. ;)
Old 28 Jul 2009, 11:31   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Commissar_Will
Default 1500/1750 list for TO meet-up - needs C&C quick. ;)

Right, I've finally sorted out a 5th ed list for my combined Ultramarine/DIY chapter strike force. It's a 1750 point list, but it can easily become a 1500 point list as required simply by not using the Land Raider. My only concern thus far is that I might not have enough anti-tank in the 1500 point list, and the fact that originally my Kantor count-as would have stayed with the Sternguard throughout the battle, but as I had 30 points left over I spent it on another Sternguard Marine with a combi-plasma, so now with Kantor as well they wouldn't fit in their Razorback until one Sternguard Marine gets killed, and I'd rather not leave a rather pricey Independant Character model out in the open and not attatched to anything. Also the list lacks any dedicated CC units, save for Kantor and the Dreadnought.

HQ
Captain Torquatus (Counts-as Kantor)

Elites
6-man Sternguard Veteran Squad
+ Lightning claw
+ Combi-melta
+ Combi-plasma
+ Razorback with twin-linked assault cannon
Total = 250 pts

Venerable Dreadnought
+ Plasma cannon
+ Drop pod with locator beacon
Total = 220 pts

Elites Total = 470 pts

Troops
10-man Tactical Squad
+ Plasma cannon
Total = 175 pts

10-man Tactical Squad
+ Lascannon
Total = 180 pts

10-man Tactical Squad – 170 pts
+ Heavy bolter
+ Plasma gun
+ Plasma pistol
+ Power fist
Total = 220 pts

5-man Scout Squad
+ Camo cloaks
+ Heavy bolter
+ Sniper rifles
Total = 100 pts

Troops Total = 675 pts

Fast Attack
2-model Land Speeder Squadron
+ Typhoon missile launcher
+ Assault cannon
Total = 180 pts

Heavy Support
Land Raider

ARMY TOTAL: 1750 pts

Any thoughts?

My Space Marine project log
Commissar_Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2009, 21:41   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: 1500/1750 list for TO meet-up - needs C&C quick. ;)

I don't see the point of a single Land Raider without Terminators or Vanguard or anything scary to pop out of it.

The assault cannon on the land speeder typhoons are overpriced and should be replaced with a multi-melta or heavy bolter.

Why even have Kantor, when you only have a single Sternguard squad and no CC threats? Lysander or a librarian would be a better choice.

Get Rhinos for your tactical squads.

Why does the venerable dreadnought have a drop pod with a locator beacon? The only other deep strikers in your army are the land speeders, which don't need to be close to the enemy in your configuration.

You need at least one multi-melta in your army, otherwise you can't stop Land Raiders.

Why don't two of your tactical squads with no special weapons have flamers?

Overall the army feels like you threw together all the models you own.
Domitian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2009, 16:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Commissar_Will

The single Land Raider is there mostly for tank hunting, and I figured the Sternguard might have need of it if their Razorback is destroyed, which is more than likely.

The locator beacon is mostly due to me having bad experiences in the past with deep striking Land Speeders behind cover and missing a bit and because I had 10 points left over at the end, but on reflection yes it does seem like a waste of points in this list.

I agree that the Speeder assault cannon is overpriced, but unfortunately I bought the model back in 4th ed when it wasn't. I just won't include it in the list and use the points on something more worthwhile.

I took Kantor to attatch him to the Sternguard as Dorn's Arrow would complement their close-ranged firepower nicely, and as they'd now be a scoring unit I figured that his power fist, coupled with the Sarge's lightning claws, would make them more likely to survive some close combat situations.

Yes, a Multi-Melta of some sort would be handy - perhaps I'll give that Land Speeder one instead of an overpriced assault cannon, the deep strike would give it a better chance to get within effective range of an AV14 tank.

I didn't give those squads flamers because they're more for ranged fire support, and I figured the extra few bolter shots might be more useful. But then again perhaps I was wrong.

Thanks very much for the advice, hopefully I'll have time before I go to post up a revised list.

EDIT: Is this looking any better?

HQ
Captain Torquatus (Counts-as Kantor) – 175pts

Elites
6-man Sternguard Veteran Squad – 150 pts
+ Lightning claw – 15pts
+ Combi-melta – 5 pts
+ Combi-plasma – 5 pts
+ Razorback with twin-linked assault cannon – 75 pts
Total = 250 pts

Venerable Dreadnought – 165 pts
+ Plasma cannon – 10pts
+ Drop pod– 35 pts
Total = 210 pts

Elites Total = 460 pts

Troops
+ Flamer
Plasma cannon – 5 pts
Total = 175 pts

+ Flamer
+ Lascannon – 10 pts
Total = 180 pts

+ Heavy bolter
+ Meltagun - 5 pts
+ Power fist – 25 pts
Total = 200 pts

Scout Squad – 75 pts
+ Camo cloaks – 15 pts
+ Heavy bolter – 10 pts
+ Sniper rifles
Total = 100 pts
Troops Total = 655 pts

Fast Attack
Land Speeder – 50 pts
+ Typhoon missile launcher – 40 pts
Total = 90 pts

2-model Land Speeder Squadron – 100 pts
+2 Multi-meltas – 20 pts
Total = 120 pts

Fast Attack Total = 210 pts

Heavy Support
Land Raider – 250 pts

ARMY TOTAL: 1750 pts

My Space Marine project log
Commissar_Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2009, 18:55   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Remember that you are never missing anti tank in a marine list. Your tact marines, once in cc can use their krack grenades to do some serious forced entry. i like the list other wise and that landraider makes a great scare for the enemy.

-Matzilla
matzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2009, 19:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matzilla
Remember that you are never missing anti tank in a marine list. Your tact marines, once in cc can use their krack grenades to do some serious forced entry. i like the list other wise and that landraider makes a great scare for the enemy.

-Matzilla
I respectfully beg to differ. Considering it takes 36 krak grenade attacks to glance a dreadnought in close combat, and about 4 vehicle damaged results to disable one, I don't like those odds. Power fists don't have great probabilities to kill walkers in close combat, but it is better than krak grenades.
Domitian is offline   Reply With Quote