Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Damned Calgar and Shrike - Army List
Old 08 Jul 2009, 03:11   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Colonel Marksman
Default Damned Calgar and Shrike - Army List

The planet was doomed. All seemed lost and utterly hopeless.

There is but a small candle within this eerie darkness. It is the day that Shrike and Calgar met together and conspired to create a force unmatched within the ranks of the Space Marines. Combined with Calgar's ingenious strategic methods with Shrike's tactical cunning, the two prepare to cut a bloody line through the battlefields.

On this dark day, the Legion of the Damned have come, and combined, these three legends cannot be defeated, no matter the enemy!

I just wanted to make sure this was legal.

HQ- Marneus Calgar
HQ - Kayvaan Shrike
Fast Attack - 5 Assault Marines
-- Infiltrating Together. If Dawn of War setting, will all Deep Strike.

TROOPS - 10 Space Marines
Meltagun, Sergeant w/chainsword, pistol, Meltabombs
Drop Pod (Assault)

TROOPS - 10 Space Marines
Drop Pod

ELITES - 7 Legion of the Damned
Sergeant w/combi-meltagun
Legionnaire w/meltagun
Legionnaire w/lascannon

Legionnaire w/meltagun
Legionnaire w/lascannon

Legionnaire w/meltagun
Legionnaire w/lascannon

1780 TOTAL POINTS

I played with this list today against my cousin, and, well, despite the number of pulse lasers, bright lances, Shuriken Cannons, and Star Cannons between 9 Vypers, 9 Jetbikes, and 2 Falcons, and 2 Farseers (1 in each Falcon) at 1850 points (so I was playing at 70 points disadvantaged, no biggy).

I wiped him out to the last pointy-eared *******, at the expense of 2 Legionaries, 15 Marines, Calgar, Shrike, and 5 Assault Marines. It took him quite awhile to kill off Calgar and Shrike, and I expected the Assault Marines to die long before turn 4.

I infiltrated with Calgar, Shrike, and 5 Assault Marines in a Spearhead set-up, and replaced everyone's Combat Tactics with Fleet as per Shrike's rules. I tell you, nothing seems more frightening than when these guys (including Calgar) have Fleet!

I know my cousin wasn't expecting it as he almost never plays against Space Marines (and when he does, it's Grey Knights allied with my Witch Hunters). But I'm still surprised I was able to take him out completely. Though, he did say his army was designed for objective-based games.

Games in the Past Month:
Tau: W-1, T-0, L-1
Witch H: W-0, T-0, L-0
Eldar: W-2, T-0, L-1
Guard: W-0, T-0, L-0
Other: W-2, T-1, L-0
Colonel Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jul 2009, 03:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Damned Calgar and Shrike - Army List

Is this the same dreaded cousin you have spoken of before, the clever Executor Dave?

Blarg, I'm a penguin! 8D

'They Are My Space Marines' tribute video, by ruckuz88

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your sig

Emperor Zoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jul 2009, 03:33   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

I do not believe that that list is legal; aren't Legion of the Damned 0-1, as a Unique unit?
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jul 2009, 04:35   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

For ultimate fluffiness, replace Shrike with Tigurius.
Domitian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jul 2009, 08:17   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Marksman
TROOPS - 8 Space Marines
Drop Pod
Not legal - only 10-man squads can take Special weapons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jul 2009, 17:14   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Marksman
TROOPS - 8 Space Marines
Drop Pod
Not legal - only 10-man squads can take Special weapons.
Ok, kinda strange if you ask me, but I must have missed that. I'd split 'em up into combat squads, but I don't think I have enough Marines to do that effectively.

But I checked Legion of the Damned, they are not 0-1. In fact, I don't think anything in the Space Marine Codex is 0-1, not even the Chapter Master. (Honor Guard is the exception, but only 1 per Chapter Master, who isn't 0-1.)

I was thinking about replacing Shrike with Tigurius, but the main reason for taking Shrike was to make Calgar and his whole army Fleet (Legion of the Damned are the exception). I mean, I couldn't fathom the fact that I can take two Independent Characters like that and combine their special rules, just not used to the idea I guess.

I'll add 2 Marines and give them back the meltagun. Thanks Wargamer.

I'll consider replacing Calgar with Tigurius. It looks like Tigurius would be more cost-effective. Calgar in Terminator Armor costs almost as much as 10 Harlequins, all with rending, a Shadowseer, and 2 inferno pistols! However, Calgar really helped, he took 6-7 shots from weapons with S:8 AP:2. I'm disappointed that the first wound of the game was dealt by a single-wounding shuriken catapults. >

But yes, this was the list that defeated my Eldar cousin. The meltagun saw very little action anyhow, it was the bolters that did all the damage against Vypers. (Go figure)

Games in the Past Month:
Old 08 Jul 2009, 18:17   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
But I checked Legion of the Damned, they are not 0-1. In fact, I don't think anything in the Space Marine Codex is 0-1, not even the Chapter Master. (Honor Guard is the exception, but only 1 per Chapter Master, who isn't 0-1.)
I believe that all of the special characters have a 'Unique' note in their army list entry, which renders them 0-1. But you are correct that Legion of the Damned are not 0-1; my bad.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jul 2009, 01:46   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
Quote:
I believe that all of the special characters have a 'Unique' note in their army list entry, which renders them 0-1. But you are correct that Legion of the Damned are not 0-1; my bad.
Oh no, not that, I was talking about giving Calgar Fleet, and were he to join Shrike, Infiltrate. Surely that can't be legal!

Games in the Past Month:
Old 09 Jul 2009, 05:10   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

It is legal. Pretty much everyone has combat tactics including Calgar so yes he can fleet and if he joins Shrike then he's part of the squad and the squad gains infiltrate (even if its just the 2 of them). Its just really, really evil. That said I really want to see that in action.

Acts of Faith - I choose to ignore your reality and substitute my own...for the Emperor.

Glory for the first man to die! CHARGE!
trex238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jul 2009, 07:07   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malus Trux
It is legal. Pretty much everyone has combat tactics including Calgar so yes he can fleet and if he joins Shrike then he's part of the squad and the squad gains infiltrate (even if its just the 2 of them). Its just really, really evil. That said I really want to see that in action.
I am the 1,000-point cheesemaster. It's my nickname really.

But I imagined an unstoppable figure with heavy footsteps, marching towards the foe while taking the shooting from anything, with figures shrugging off tank weapons while continuing to shoot. Some quick Eldar comes up to the figure and after trying to bring him harm, is crushed into a bloody pulp after a single swing.

So I started flipping through the Space Marine Codex for the first time and came up with this all on my own after 10 minutes. Then, after realizing what I discovered, quickly tried to make sure that it was allowed. To my horror, I suppose it is.

The trial game ended in Space Marine victory as I said, with the complete annihilation of the Eldar.

To say the least, I never knew that my cousin was capable of such calm in the face of utter defeat. In fact, I didn't think such a player was capable of that kind of sportsmanship, laughing at his army's own mortality!

Against a player I win 1 out of 42 games with, it was quite a shock for the both of us.

Unless my Tau find an enemy for the Eye of Terror Campaign, I will test this at the GW store.

Games in the Past Month: