Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

My First Army List (PLEASE COMMENT!)
Old 16 May 2009, 21:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default My First Army List (PLEASE COMMENT!)

This is the list that I have been planning up. This is what I will eventually be purchasing. Please tell me what you all think of this. Contstructive critisim is wanted (but please do be polite about it). So here it is...my first army list.

HQ
Librarian Epistolary (Armed with a force weapon and bolt gun) (Powers are: Force Dome and Smite)
Master of the Forge (standard armament)
2 Servitors (standard armament)

Troops
Tactical Squad
7 Space Marines armed with bolters
1 Space Marine armed with a flamer
1 Space Marine armed with a heavy bolter
1 Space Marine Sergeant (standard armament)

Tactical Squad
1 Space Marine armed with a flamer
1 Space Marine armed with a heavy bolter

Scout Squad
9 Space Marine Scouts armed with sniper rifles
1 Space Marine Scout sargeant (armed with sniper rifle)
(All equipped with camo cloaks)

Elites
Dreadnought (armed with the assault cannon and storm bolter)
Dreadnought (armed with the autocannon and missile launcher)
1 Techmarine (upgraded with servo harness) (standard armament)
2 Servitors (standard armaments)

Heavy support
Thunderfire Cannons
Dreadnought (armed with the autocannon and missile launcher)
Predator (autocannon, lascannon spons, storm bolter, dozer blade, and extra armor)

Total points: 1490

Blarg, I'm a penguin! 8D

'They Are My Space Marines' tribute video, by ruckuz88

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your sig

Emperor Zoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2009, 22:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw
Default Re: My First Army List (PLEASE COMMENT!)

I guess my first question is this: How do you plan on using this army? That is, what do you see each of the units doing?

Right now you have a couple of units I wonder about. A tech marine in an army with only two vehicles and two other techmarines already as part of the thunderfire cannons is a bit much. You also have one more heavy support than your allowed. Who is the rhino for as a dedicated transport and is the command squad for your librarian or you captian?

Clean those up, give us a rough idea of your battle stratagy and I think you'll be well on your way.
Spiritbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2009, 22:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritbw
I guess my first question is this: How do you plan on using this army? That is, what do you see each of the units doing?

Right now you have a couple of units I wonder about. A tech marine in an army with only two vehicles and two other techmarines already as part of the thunderfire cannons is a bit much. You also have one more heavy support than your allowed. Who is the rhino for as a dedicated transport and is the command squad for your librarian or you captain?

Clean those up, give us a rough idea of your battle strategy and I think you'll be well on your way.
OH, I didn't know I had surpassed the heavy support limit... Sorry. I will edit that out. *removes a Devastator squad*

I plan on using a defensive strategy. I like making the enemy to come to me (particularly when I have big guns waiting for them >).

The Command Squad is for the Captain, who will be usually among the Tactical Squads. I have the scouts and Tactical Squads around for when I need to seize objectives; or for when I am forced to have to 'take the battle to the enemy'.

The Thunderfire Cannons are for defensive purposes, as they will be what holds the line. They will not only keep my base of operations safe, but also offer a safe 'fallback point' for any troops out on the battlefield if things should go astray. As for the Techmarines, well, they just sort of come with the cannons...is not exactly an option...heh-heh. :-[

The Dreadnought is there to primarily bolster my defences. However, I imagine I could have him go out on the battlefield to aid the troops out, by giving supportfire.

I have the other Techmarine their to repair the Dreadnought, and to also keep him company. Techmarines are good at CC, which is something that my Dreadnought is not too good at... He could keep any nasty enemies from getting 'up close and personal' with my Dreadnought. The Servitors are there to boost the chances of him successfully repairing the Dreadnought. Also, they would aid the Techmarine in keeping any enemies from getting into CC with my Dreadnought.

to repair the Rhino, if something should happen to it... However, now that I think about it...the Rhino does allow the option of its crew to (possibly) repair it... Granted, though, a Techmarine would more likely be successful in repairing it.

My Devastator Squad will bolster my defences or give cover fire for any troops out on the battlefield. The Librarian is to accompany the Devastator Squad, giving them extra defensive strength with his 'Force Dome' and extra fire power with his 'Smite' (this power is meant to help 'bail out' the Devastator Squad if enemies get too close).

The Rhino can serve two purposes for me. 1. It can help in seizing objectives, or in quickly transporting troops to key strategic positions. 2. Say the defences are failing, and I am in a tight spot. Well, no problem, I can just load my most important (or perhaps most slowest/immobile) units to safety.

Blarg, I'm a penguin! 8D

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your sig

Old 16 May 2009, 22:56   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

Sounds good so far.

Quick note though: Dedicated transports can only be used by the unit they are assigned too. Check in the codex under the unit list and it will say in the entry if the unit can use a transport. With one rhino it will belong to one unit and only be usable by that unit. You might want to consider a second one and give one each to your tactical squads as they are going to be the units moving the most to seize objectives(in addition to the rhinos themselves).

That being said, in this arrangment I'd put the lascannons in the devastator squad and put the heavy bolters freed up in the tactical squads. The way you ahve it right now the tactical squads are either going to ahve over kill with the lascannon against targets the tactical squads can hit or a bunch of marines standing around doing nothing while the lascannon targets something in it's range. With the alscannons in the same group that gives you more punch and better chance agaisnt heavy units while the tacticals are now maximized for a more anti-troop role.

As said before, your going to ahve three techmarines on the biard with your current list, but few vehicles, so I'd recomend taking something else other than a techmarine with servators for another elite. If your going with the stand and shoot idea another dreadnaught night be a good idea. You should also ahve extra points form removing the second devastaator squad.
Spiritbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2009, 23:07   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Sounds good so far.

Quick note though: Dedicated transports can only be used by the unit they are assigned too. Check in the codex under the unit list and it will say in the entry if the unit can use a transport. With one rhino it will belong to one unit and only be usable by that unit. You might want to consider a second one and give one each to your tactical squads as they are going to be the units moving the most to seize objectives(in addition to the rhinos themselves).

That being said, in this arrangement I'd put the lascannons in the devastator squad and put the heavy bolters freed up in the tactical squads. The way you have it right now the tactical squads are either going to have over kill with the lascannon against targets the tactical squads can hit or a bunch of marines standing around doing nothing while the lascannon targets something in it's range. With the lascannons in the same group that gives you more punch and better chance against heavy units while the tactical are now maximized for a more anti-troop role.

As said before, your going to have three techmarines on the board with your current list, but few vehicles, so I'd re comend taking something else other than a techmarine with servitors for another elite. If your going with the stand and shoot idea another dreadnaught night be a good idea. You should also have extra points form removing the second devastator squad.
*groans* I should have edited the post more quickly. Please reread that my second post again. I was in the process of editing in the answers to some of your inquiries when you posted...

On another note, I did not know about the Rhino having to be 'assigned' to a particular unit. Dang... This list is starting to get too big.

Also, I don't know about having my Tactical Squads dump their Lascannons. The Tactical Squads are usually the guys who are going to go out onto the battle field, meaning THEY will usually be targeted by heavy armored units. The Devastators are to keep enemies from reaching key locations or positions (like my Thunderfire cannons)...

I would not mind having another Dreadnought though... They rock hard. ;D I could remove a Servitor or two to allow my second Dreadnought more accessories. *removes two Servitors and places another Dreadnought*

There we go! Another shiny Dreadnought to do the Emperor's will.

Blarg, I'm a penguin! 8D

Old 17 May 2009, 00:32   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Sounds good so far.

Quick note though: Dedicated transports can only be used by the unit they are assigned too.
Hate to contradict you, but dedicated transports can be used by anybody, they just can't start out carrying anyone other than the unit they're assigned to.
wesswll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2009, 02:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesswll
Quote:
Sounds good so far.

Quick note though: Dedicated transports can only be used by the unit they are assigned too.
Hate to contradict you, but dedicated transports can be used by anybody, they just can't start out carrying anyone other than the unit they're assigned to.
Hm, well then, that solves that problem. ;D My Rhino just became useful again!

Blarg, I'm a penguin! 8D

Old 18 May 2009, 09:09   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Zoron
Tactical Squad
1 Space Marine armed with a lascannon
1 Sergeant (standard armament)

Tactical Squad
1 Space Marine armed with a lascannon
Just a quick point. Your Tactical squads only have 9 men in each of them, you can only take a heavy (and special) weapon if the squad has 10 men!
Sardis Varrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2009, 15:14   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

As above, give you tactical squads special weapons: I recommend flamers because of their cost.

The techmarine is wasted points in my opinion; you already get Bolster Defences from your thunderfire cannons and repairing vehicles works better in theory than practice.

The Rhino has too many toys too. Drop the HK missile, and only keep the extra armour if it is for the command squad. You also have to declare which squad the transport is dedicated to in your army list.

With your extra points, you should beef up your command squad with a thunder hammer, meltagun(s), etc. and give your captain a weapon.

As for the librarian, you might have better luck with him accompanying the command squad at least some of the time. The devastators shouldn't need Force Dome, as they should be in cover, and I think Avenger is a psychic power you should consider.

Lastly, give your scout sergeant a sniper rifle too, as he has the best BS in that squad.
Domitian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2009, 01:03   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFury
As above, give you tactical squads special weapons: I recommend flamers because of their cost.

The techmarine is wasted points in my opinion; you already get Bolster Defences from your thunderfire cannons and repairing vehicles works better in theory than practice.

The Rhino has too many toys too. Drop the HK missile, and only keep the extra armour if it is for the command squad. You also have to declare which squad the transport is dedicated to in your army list.

With your extra points, you should beef up your command squad with a thunder hammer, meltagun(s), etc. and give your captain a weapon.

As for the librarian, you might have better luck with him accompanying the command squad at least some of the time. The devastators shouldn't need Force Dome, as they should be in cover, and I think Avenger is a psychich power you should consider.

Lastly, give your scout sergeant a sniper rifle too, as he has the best BS in that squad.
Well, I am not going to get rid of my Techmarine, so there. As for your suggestion about the Librarian, you have a point. Although, at the moment, I am honestly considering just dumping the Command Squad...

By the way, I will get around to adding another Space Marine to those Tactical Squads, when I feel like it... (Which will be soon...)

In addition, I am also considering dumping the Rhino and replacing it with something less useless. Maybe a Predator (very cheap) or the Whirlwind.

Blarg, I'm a penguin! 8D