Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1850 pts. First Marine list - C&C please.
Old 12 May 2009, 19:21   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default 1850 pts. First Marine list - C&C please.

This will be the first time I've played marines since the 1st edition Rogue Trader days. I bought an Assault On Black Reach, a used blood angel army, and 3 tanks. This army cost me 225$ to build. Some of the wargear choices may be odd but I'm going WYSIWYG with what I have.

Please take a look and tell me where my major weaknesses are. I know enough about marines because I play agianst them a lot. But still haven't played them myself since forever ago.

Tactics:
Chaplain is jump packing with the jump vanguard squad. Librarian is using gate of infinity with the non jump pack vanguard squad. Scouts will infiltrate 18" or 12" from a weak portion of the army and run into assault. Terminators in LR will get to assault as quick as possible. Will combat squad the tac squad and put 5 men in the razorback which will hang out somewhere and shoot the lascannon. other combats squad with missile launcher will hang out somewhere and shoot missiles. Obviously the predator will hang out somewhere and shoot lascannons. Or I can deep strike the Termies and roll the vanguardsquad in the landraider.

HQ

Librarian - Epistolary
Gate Of Infinity
Force Dome
bolt pistol

Chaplain
bolt pistol
jump pack

Elite

5 terminators
heavy flamer

Troop

10 man Tactical Squad
Missile Launcher
Flamer

RazorBack
TW-Lascannon

5 man Scout Squad
combat blades
melta bomb

Fast

10 man Vanguard
Jump Packs
plasma pistol
Power Fist
Melta bomb

10 man Vanguard
2 plasma pistol
sergeant power fist
melta bomb

Heavy

Land Raider

Predator
TW Lascannon
Lascannon Sponsons

This army shouldn't completely suck. But I don't expect to win tournaments or anything. This is just my secondary fun list. My main list is Tau.
mattv2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2009, 00:44   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday
Default Re: 1850 pts. First Marine list - C&C please.

It seems kinda weak in scoring units and I think you're putting all your eggs in one basket with the vanguard. Aside from those and the terminators you have no real offensive ability. The vanguard are going to have no choice but to weather at least one turn of shooting, possibly two if you get second turn, and seeing as they are for the most part no more durable than regular tactical marines, they're going to get trashed. If I was playing against this list I'd throw a battlecannon shell at each vanguard squad and a demolisher shell at whichever one took the least damage from the battlecannons. I'd use my infantry squads to mop pick off a few more where I could and then turn my guns onto that landraider on the next turn and hopefully stop it with combined fire so the termies have to walk across the rest of the table. This is just off the top of my head using the old guard codex, I haven't had time to set up a new list with the new codex which would almost certainly be carrying more guns for me to throw at you.
Old 13 May 2009, 05:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan
. If I was playing against this list I'd throw a battlecannon shell at each vanguard squad and a demolisher shell at whichever one took the least damage from the battlecannons.
Played my first game with this list.
I got dual lashed and ripped apart by vindicators, a defiler, and noise marines.

The whole idea of this army is just a fun army using what I have versus some of my noob friends who I don't want to pwn but have a casual fun game. But you are right those vanguard are very expensive. They got rocked.
I have 5 more terminators, 4 more scouts, and a few more random marines. Maybe I'll shed some points by getting a regular assault squad and fitting some more models in.
Old 13 May 2009, 09:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I would probably drop both vanguard squads and your razorback and use the pts to instead take 2 regular assault squads (10 man), another tactical squad (10 man) and upgrade your scout squad to a 10 man squad. I prefer assault squads over vanguard as they are far cheaper and can still put out a lot of hurt, i take mine with 2x flamers as these are great against hordes and still do ok against MEQ's. This will also double your scoring units, give you more bodies and give you 2 fast assault units!
Sardis Varrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2009, 07:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I've played this list a few times. I've come up with the following changes. I can make this list with the models I own and using a proxy for shrike. I will need to buy more jump packs if this is what I settle on.
I wanted to fit in a missile launcher / las cannon dread but not sure how. I want close combat oriented infantry.

HQ

Shrike

Chaplain
bolt pistol
melta bomb
jump pack

Troop

Tactical Squad x10
missile launcher
flamer

Scout squad x5
missile launcher
sniper rifles

Elite

Vanguard x10
fist upgrade for sergeant
melta bomb for sergeant

assault x7
fist

assault x7
fist

Assault terminators
lightning claws

Land Raider

Heavy

Predator
Twin-Linked Lascannons
Lascannon sponsons

Shrike and chaplain roll with vanguard for uber beatdowns. termies rush in land raider and fleet into CC ASAP.

I would like more las cannons and a rhino. So half my tac can roll around in a rhino and try to take an objective after my assault guys clear it.
Maybe I should drop 1 assault squad for razorback and dread with las/missile. I feel it will need more big guns. But I'll give this a try. It should be plenty powerful to take on some of the people I play who don't have very good lists.