Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Goodness gracious, great balls of flaming cheese!
Old 30 Mar 2009, 07:09   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Goodness gracious, great balls of flaming cheese!

It struck me while sitting in math class this afternoon that the one thing that might possibly make applied trigonometry more interesting would be fire, strategically applied to my textbooks and possibly the teacher. then it hit me - i play Dark Angels, and virtually every DA unit has access to flamers! i hastily drew up an army list (a much more worthwhile endeavour than applied trig, believe you me). the result is below, and it is quite possibly the biggest, cheesiest ball of flaming beard I've ever seen. it might just have its uses against horde armies, though, and even if it doesn't, it's sure to make for a hilarious match either way.

HQ
Company Captain
- Combi-flamer
Belial

Elites
Dreadnought
- Heavy flamer
Company Veterans squad
- Flamer
- x3 combi-flamers
Company Veterans squad
- Flamer
- x3 combi-flamers

Troops
Tactical squad
- flamer
Tactical squad
- flamer
Deathwing squad
- Heavy flamer
Deathwing squad
- Heavy flamer

Fast Attack
Ravenwing Attack Squadron
- x2 flamers

Heavy Support
Whirlwind

the whole thing comes in at just shy of 1500 points. as you can see, I've included nothing but flamer-wielding units - except for belial, whom i threw in in order to take Deathwing as troops and free up an elites slot for another flame-gasmic company veterans squad. The idea with the whirlwind is to use it to deliver a little Dark Angels special - incendiary Castellan missiles right behind the enemy lines.

given that my most frequent opponent is a footslogging Ork army, this might just have its uses, but i doubt whether i will ever take it beyond a purely on-paper concept.

what say you, wise sages of Trout Online? would this crazy excuse for an army ever hold water? would any of you crazies out there ever field this army?

==Arn==
I'm the face that you have to face
Mirrored in your stare
I'm what's left, I'm what's right
I'm the enemy
I'm the hand that'll take you down,
Bring you to your knees.
Arnorath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Apr 2009, 18:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Goodness gracious, great balls of flaming cheese!

It is bad form to tailor your army against a specific opponent. Your lists should be able to take on all comers, and with no ranged anti-tank whatsoever you won't be able to do so.
Domitian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Apr 2009, 19:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Merqu

He didn't actually tailor it for his opponent... More for wanting epic amounts of Promethium fueled death inspired by Trig *consouls you for your pain Arnorath*.

You could call them the Flaming Angles (yes angles was meant), a Successor to the Dark Angels who believe only flame can purge the deadly secret of the Unforgiven ;D.

As for its effectiveness... I honestly have no idea. It's got NO anti tank part from the Termies and Dreads Fists... But it would most definitely be fun ;D
Merqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Apr 2009, 07:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to HijiriOni Send a message via MSN to HijiriOni Send a message via Yahoo to HijiriOni

I've actually never once fielded a flamer, I might if mine we're free but the bolter overall seems more practical in most circumstances...foot slogging orcs means you get 4 shots at em from 1 bolter...5 get 20...that orc squad should be dead before it hits assault or even flamer=deadly range.

Course if you played normal space marines and fielded Vulkan that list might be extreme cheese as ALL of those flamers just became twin-linked, including the combi-flamers.
Old 02 Apr 2009, 22:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

What? Where are you getting 4 shots from a bolter? A single bolter fires only 2 shots at most if you're within 12"....
Old 02 Apr 2009, 23:36   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to crazyguy832

Yeah... if you want flamer spam, use Vulkan.

Yours would be a fun list to play either way, however.

;D

Do It! ;D
5th edition stats (W/D/L)
Deathwing: 14/6/3
Tau: 5/0/3
Blood Angels (NEW): 10/1/3
Blood Angels (OLD): 27/5/10
Eldar: 10/0/1
Death Guard: 1/0/0
crazyguy832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Apr 2009, 23:43   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Dude I love that idea! "haha" you just have to get really close and make sure you kill the unit you attack with the flamers and not let them assualt you. I would get some transports(especially rhinos for the fire point) to make your list more mobile because if you **** up in predicting distance you are screwed "haha"

And yeah you need some serious anti-tank weapons. Maybe melta bombs on the ravenwing bike?
Mandalorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Apr 2009, 07:00   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to HijiriOni Send a message via MSN to HijiriOni Send a message via Yahoo to HijiriOni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan
What? Where are you getting 4 shots from a bolter? A single bolter fires only 2 shots at most if you're within 12"....
Math, at 24 inches you get 1 shot at 18 inches 1 shot at 12 inches 2 shots...thus 4 shots, foot slogging orcs can only move 6 inches...course if they get lucky runs in maybe a noticeable amount more.
Old 03 Apr 2009, 09:35   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

thanks for the interest guys. remember though that this is a DA list - no Vulcan. though that would be the epitome of beardy promethium-fuelled cheese, and would indeed be hilarious. of course, if i decided to do the ol' mix-an'-match with the Space Marine codex i could throw in a Redeemer for one of the Termy squads...

somebody stop me before i hurt myself.

Merqu, i love you in a totally platonic fashion. that has got to be the best chapter name i've ever heard of.

Mandalorian, if i was serious about winning matches i wouldn't field this army ;D If i was to use it, i guess i'd try to pincer enemy units between a couple of squads, flame them from two derections and then charge them with termies or a dread. i *could* throw in some melta bombs, but that would be wasting points i could be using on flamers
I'm the face that you have to face
Mirrored in your stare
I'm what's left, I'm what's right
I'm the enemy
I'm the hand that'll take you down,
Bring you to your knees.
Arnorath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2009, 20:45   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Alright that is cool. I like to play with a competitive/themed army(more leaning on the themed part) so I was at least trying to put some advice in but I understand.
Mandalorian is offline   Reply With Quote