Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Brotherhood of the Phoenix 2000pt - looking for suggestions.
Old 19 Mar 2009, 21:11   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Brotherhood of the Phoenix 2000pt - looking for suggestions.

Having paged through the latest codex, and finding some neat ideas in it, I think I'm looking to create a new Space Marine army. I've been playing 40k now for about a year and a half. I've got the general hang of the game at this point, but... I've only ever played Tyranids. I'd like some help with a 2000 point list, so if it's something I'd like to start up, I have a good idea of what to spend my money on as I build up a new list.

So, please critique my list. As I said, I've got 40k experience, but no experience playing (just playing against) Space Marines. I'm also ok if the list isn't completely tricked out to be as powerful as it could be, but I do want something that is at least competitive - as a general all comers type of thing.

Along with this Imperial Guard list I'm planning on having a few armies at 2,000 points I can ally together with maybe a few Baneblades for a second Apocalypse sized force (the first being my Tyranids).

The general idea behind the combined force is that it is an extremely old force that was thought lost to the warp, but that recently re-emerged. This Emperor's Children detachment would have been leading the combined might of the Imperial forces, including the IG Geno Five-Two Chiliad detachment linked above in the Great Crusade, and got warp-lost before they became part of the fall to chaos during the Horus Heresy. This means they're still sort of a renegade faction as they were bringing the Emperor's Imperial Truth doctrine to their intended targets, which is at odds with the Imperiums current religious alignment. They've been devastated to find out that the Emperor is now effectively dead, and that their own Legion was part of the reason for that and have divorced themselves from their chaotic brethren and embraced the new moniker Brotherhood of the Phoenix based on their Warrior lodge and what they feel was the the embodiment of their Legion's once noble cause, as well as representing their rising again from the ashes of the Heresy and their temporary entombment in the warp storm they recently escaped (and is fitting for the amounts of flamers and heavy flamers in the list). They are also at odds with the Imperium however as they feel that worship of the Emperor as a god is against the creed the Emperor personally espoused, as he had wanted to remove religion, faith, and superstition from the Imperium of Man. They currently oppose both Chaos and the Ecclesiarchy, and as such find themselves at war with both the enemies and allies of the Emperor which they think have both abandoned his noble cause. They also still lead the Imperial Army forces they re-emerged with outside the normal power structure of the current division of command in the Imperium, in the tradition they were founded with.

They'll still embrace wearing the Imperial Eagle, but have started coloring it as a Firebird on black armor. I'm planning on purchasing the eagle warrior bitz shoulderpads, and the rhino & landraider doors with the Imperial Eagle from FW, as well as a bunch of the Imperial Eagle etched brass stuff.

[size=14pt]Army Name: (Brotherhood of the Phoenix, Emperor's Children 2nd Company Exiles) [/size]

[hr]
[hr]

[HQ]

HQ 1: (Chapter Master x1 - counts as Vulkan He'stan): (190pts)
- (Articifer Armor, Frag & Krak Grenades, Bolt Pistol, Kesares Mantle, Spear of Vulkan (Relic Blade), Digital Weapons, Gauntlet of the Forge (Heavy Flamer), Independent Character)

HQ 2: (Forgefather x1 - counts as Master of the Forge): (125pts)
- (Articifer Armor, Frag & Krak Grenades, Servo Harness, Combi-flamer, Power Sword Independent Character, Blessing of the Omnisiah, Bolster Defenses)

[hr]

[ELITES]

Elite 1: (Terminator Assault Squad - Sergeant x1, Terminators x5): (240pts)
- (Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield)

Elite 1 Dedicated Transport: (Land Raider Redeemer x1): (250pts)
- (Twin Linked Assault Cannon, Multi-melta, Two Sponson Flamestorm Cannons, Smoke Launchers, Searchlight, Frag Assault Launchers)

Elite 2: (Ironclad Dreadnought): (145pts)
- (Seismic Hammer w/ Melta-gun, CC Weapon w/ Heavy Flamer, Smoke Launchers, Searchlight, Extra Armor, Move Through Cover)

Elite 2 Dedicated Transport: (Drop Pod): (35pts)
- (Storm Bolter)

Elite 3 *or Heavy: (Ironclad Dreadnought): (145pts)
- (Seismic Hammer w/ Melta-gun, CC Weapon w/ Heavy Flamer, Smoke Launchers, Searchlight, Extra Armor, Move Through Cover)

Elite 3 Dedicated Transport: (Drop Pod): (35pts)
- (Storm Bolter)

[hr]

[TROOPS]

Troops 1: (Tactical Squad - Sergeant x1, Marine x9): (185pts)
- (Sergeant: Power Armor, Bolt Pistol, Power Weapon - Marines: Power Armor, Boltgun, 1x Flamer, 1x Missile Launcher)

Troops 1 Dedicated Transport: (Rhino x1): (35pts)
- (Storm Bolter, Smoke Launchers, Searchlight)

Troops 2: (Tactical Squad - Sergeant x1, Marine x9): (185pts)
- (Sergeant: Power Armor, Bolt Pistol, Power Weapon - Marines: Power Armor, Boltgun, 1x Flamer, 1x Missile Launcher)

Troops 2 Dedicated Transport: (Rhino x1): (35pts)

Troops 3: (Tactical Squad - Sergeant x1, Marine x9): (180pts)
- (Sergeant: Power Armor, Combi-flamer - Marines: Power Armor, Boltgun, 1x Flamer, 1x Multi-melta)

Troops 3 Dedicated Transport: (Rhino x1): (35pts)

[hr]

[FAST ATTACK]

None

[hr]

[HEAVY SUPPORT]

Heavy Support 1: (Ironclad Dreadnought): (145pts)

Heavy Support 1 Dedicated Transport: (Drop Pod): (35pts)
- (Storm Bolter)

[hr]

[size=14pt]Army Total: (2000pts) [/size]

[hr]
[hr]

So, I'm thinking the Drop Pod Ironclad Dreadnoughts drop in for quick pressure up front while the Transports bring in the rest. I've revised the list a bit now, to take out some of the massive points I originally put all in one place earlier. Hopefully there's a better distribution of threat around the army now. The Chapter Master and Forgefather will accompany two different Combat Squaded Tact Squads in their Rhino transports, with the 5 Marines from each squad left behind with the Missile Launcher model to give some ranged support. The 3rd Tact Squad could or could not Combat Squad depending on the situation and the Land Raider will deliver the Assault Terminators to their destination.

Anyway, fire away with constructive criticism, this is one of the first Space Marine lists I've actually put together (3rd Revision now), and my very first with the 5th Ed codex.
Nezalhualixtlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2009, 16:10   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Iron Hands 2000pt - Space Marine nub looking for help

So, no one has any recommendations for the list?
Old 23 Mar 2009, 22:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

As a list it seems solid, but in terms of fluff, Ironhands never field squads of terminators as they only have a handful of suits left.
Old 24 Mar 2009, 18:59   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I've read that, but I've also read their Terminator suits are generally reserved for the Sergeants of the Squad or something like it - but there are no rules in the current Space Marine codex to replicate that, at least none to my knowledge. I've also read though that they don't field much in terms of Dreadnoughts either... but the Master of the Forge, the only thing I could think of well suited to the role of Forgefather specifically makes it so you can take a bunch of them.

I realize the list has some fluff issues, but without rules in the Codex to support a strict fluff background, I'm going with my best general interpretation of the fluff in a generalized list.
Old 31 Mar 2009, 12:34   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Tech_Marine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periophthalmus Gracilis
I've read that, but I've also read their Terminator suits are generally reserved for the Sergeants of the Squad or something like it - but there are no rules in the current Space Marine codex to replicate that, at least none to my knowledge. I've also read though that they don't field much in terms of Dreadnoughts either... but the Master of the Forge, the only thing I could think of well suited to the role of Forgefather specifically makes it so you can take a bunch of them.

I realize the list has some fluff issues, but without rules in the Codex to support a strict fluff background, I'm going with my best general interpretation of the fluff in a generalized list.
Nice Army.

Im going to be fielding something like this.
except mine is a successive chapter of salamanders and iron hands, so im making my own fluff to support the fact that i have terminators and dreadnoughts