Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1000pts Ultramarines
Old 02 Feb 2009, 01:06   #1 (permalink)
Francisco

Default 1000pts Ultramarines

Well Im making a 1000pts marines army and I was posting this soo I need some tips and youre answer for this list.

HQ

Librarian(100)
-jump pack
total: 125pts

Troops

Tactical Squad(10)
- plasma gun -Lascannon
total: 190pts

Tactical Squad(10)
- flamer -M.launcher

total:170pts

Tactical Squad(10)
- flamer -multi-melta
- drop pod

total:205pts

Fast Attack

Assault Squad(10)
- powerfist - flamer

total: 225pts

Whirlwind(85)

Army total:1000pts

My idea is use the drop pod and the assault marines waiting until the enemy advance attracked by 2 tactical Squad and the whirlwind, leaving their heavy stuff unguarded, then I should use the Tactical Squad within the Drop pod to neutralize the vehicles and close the enemy rear. Seems pretty weak, but If the Assault squad get some luck droping near the drop pod I would be able to relife the tactical-melta squad from unwanted enemies, providing some usefull librarian powers, flamers and power fists from this squad.

Choosing Librarianīs powers:

Well I im going to use assault Squad I should use the "The Avenger" power, to neutralize event enemy marines.
The other power might be "Might of Ancients", this will allow me to wound monstrous creatures easier and add 2D6 to armour penetration, helping out the powerfist is this squad engage a enemy vehicle.
This list as an average amount of 41 marines. Quite good for a 1000pts list ;D
Tell me what you think about this list.

Old 02 Feb 2009, 01:55   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: 1000pts Ultramarines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francisco
My idea is use the drop pod and the assault marines waiting until the enemy advance attracked by 2 tactical Squad and the whirlwind, leaving their heavy stuff unguarded, then I should use the Tactical Squad within the Drop pod to neutralize the vehicles and close the enemy rear.
The tactics itself is fine, however I do see a couple of issues:
1. Your drop pod ***HAS*** to drop on the first turn. No waiting... this means the enemy won't be that far across the table. Providing you go second, this won't necesarily be too big an issue.
2. Be aware of hoarde or Fast Ork (and 'nid fast/swarm) armies. They won't have a 'rear' stationary group to squash and your lack of numbers to receive their charge may leave you vulnerable. You're lack of H. Bolters compiles this issue, however, the flamers and Whirlwind are a good boost in this department.

Aside form that the list is pretty ballanced. Nothing other than minor personal tweaks I'd prefer (i.e. including Sternguard or Termies). I'm not a Librarian user, so will leave for others to comment on powers, load-outs etc.
Welshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Feb 2009, 02:29   #3 (permalink)
Francisco

I guess youre right.
Unfortunately the drop pod as to arrive at the 1st turn.
Still I can replace its cargo with a dreadnought full of flamers. I think this was will benefit more than usuall. If it was this, I rather prefer droping on a flank that only have weak things, since the remaining turn that area will be cleared and the assault squads could make their enter. If this dont work, surely youre enemy will be forced to change its formations to better counter the dreads coming. If they leave some spot bettewn their forces I should drop the assault squads there and cleaning all that way around, as well with the help of the whirlwind.

I agree with youre point of view using sternguard and terminators, but If I was to change that melta/drop system for a termi squad with h.flamer.
Soo 3 possibilities are here to change for the squad:

1- 5 sternguards(1 heavy flamer, 1x power weapon, Drop pod /deathwing m.launcher) - cause max damage It can, prefered against hordes
2- terminator squad(5)(1xheavy flamer)
3- Ironclad dreadnought( storm bolter for heavy flamer, melta for heavy flamer, chainfist, assault launchers) - 5pts left

Some ideas for those point values.
Old 02 Feb 2009, 06:20   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Of those options I prefer the Sternguard (but don't go crazy on the load-outs) as their really adapatable with the variety of ammo etc. Chuck a couple of combi-flamers instead of those heavies, at half the price you can get two and cause more damage on the charge. Don't forget that the combi's can use the special ammo to!

Keep the drop pod for one of the tactical squads still, but don't bother with the Death-wind. It's got no AP and with a 12" range just isn't worth the hassle.

With the points to spare you can get a HB-Razorback for the Sternie's and have a couple of points to 'tweak' your heavy weapons... if you want. Have a play with the special/heavy weapons before you glue/paint them to see what works for you.

My super preferred option would be 5 termies with a Cyclone launcher... but can't see where you could squeeze the points from.

I hope that helped. ;D
Old 02 Feb 2009, 10:40   #5 (permalink)
Francisco

YEs Iīve noticed combi-weapons only cost 5pts, but there is a problem.
Yu need to equip all of them with combi-weapons, or they will be stuck bettewn the combi or special ammo.
IF the squad decides to use some kind of special weapon, all the squad must fire that type of ammo as well the combi weapons variants.
Soo you will lose a little if you by mistake drop near youre enemy and you wanna use both template weapons and special ammu. Quite a problem :-\

Using Termis....hell yea!! The cyclone version on a squad or termis relie with full destruction both against vehicles and hordes. Its a worthy price to pay in battle.
Old 02 Feb 2009, 22:33   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Yu need to equip all of them with combi-weapons, or they will be stuck bettewn the combi or special ammo.
IF the squad decides to use some kind of special weapon, all the squad must fire that type of ammo as well the combi weapons variants.
That's not my reading of the rules. My reading is that if you use "The special ammunition" on the BOLTGUNS all the troops do (inc Combi's), and you can't use the flamers. However if you are using the flamers you can still use either the standard bolters (i.e. "Not special ammo") or be close enough to use your pistols instead.

My interpretation is that the "Special ammo" is for the three types listed in the CODEX, not the unsing the flamer from the combi itself. To justify my argument I'd say to look a the box-set of the Sternies... if they could only fire as (I think) you've described they'd all be armed the same.

I hope that helps.
Old 02 Feb 2009, 22:53   #7 (permalink)
Francisco

Some times I can use the correct words or I miss writing them.
Well at least I know if the squad shots special ammu they cannot use normal shots nor combi weapons(canīt use flamers, meltas soo on) while shooting special ammo.
Old 02 Feb 2009, 23:23   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
...if the squad shots special ammu they cannot use normal shots nor combi weapons(canīt use flamers, meltas soo on) while shooting special ammo.
Absolutely, which is why I'd say the Combi-flamer is cool, as you can either use their special ammo OR if close enough use the flamers and Pistol prior to a charge. This is all a little off topic however.

In summary you have a pretty ballanced list that should do well, just be aware of it's potential pit-falls and you'll be sweet.