Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1250 point Crimson Fists list.
Old 25 Jan 2009, 03:10   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default 1250 point Crimson Fists list.

So, 1250 points. It's bizarre, but that's our next tournament. So I have made a quick list that will need evaluating.

HQ

Pedro Kantor 175pts

The usual CF HQ. His abilities are very versatile, which is what I'll be needing in a tournament.

TROOPS

Tactical Squad "Novato" (10)
-Missile Launcher, Flamer, Power Fist 195pts
--Rhino 35pts

230pts

Tactical Squad "Dolor" (10)
-Missile Launcher, Flamer, Power Fist 195pts
--Rhino 35

230pts

Tactical Squad "Fuego" (10)
-Plasmacannon, Plasmagun 185pts

Maybe a tad excessive, particularly Squad Fuego (though Fuego is a hell of a damage dealer). The other options I have here are five Close Combat Scouts, seven bolter scouts w/Heavy bolter, a third rhino, and a power weapon sarge.

ELITES

Sternguard Squad "Castillo" (5)
-combi-melta 130pts

Due to Kantor's ability, these guys can afford to sit back and shoot. In all honesty, these guys are point fillers. If I had the model I'd take a Chaplain with a jump pack instead. Also in this slot I have a seven man terminator squad with a heavy flamer, which I thought was a bit much for this points level. The AOBR Dread is under conversion and will not be able to participate.

FAST ATTACK

Assault Squad "Furia" (10)
-Power Fist 215

I really like the combat punch these guys give, ten assault marines is nothing to scoff at for any army. Also in this slot I have a three man biker squad with a flamer and power weapon, which I don't think is going to cut it.

HEAVY SUPPORT

Whirlwind 85pts.

It's hard to argue with a Whirlwind considering what it does and how cheaply it does it. I also have two 230pt Dev squads in this slot (Missile Launchers and Heavy Bolters). They are a tad expensive for my tastes, but will be likely to be firing every round.

Total:1250

I'm not that keen on the Sternguard, if the list changes they'll be the fist to go. As it is It's got 4 scoring units, 46 boots on the ground, and three vehicles. Alas, I do not own a dakka pred (I would love one at this points level) nor a Crusader (which would change my plans considerably).

Comments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2009, 03:46   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: 1250 point Crimson Fists list.

What's the scoring rules for the Tournament? Fixed style games or 'random'/mixed KP and objectives?

Real interesting load-out on the Tact Squads. Real Fluffy with the fists if (as you say) a bit of overkill, having said that for an all comers/tourney lists, you get what you pay for, they'll do well. *Note to self - steal idea for own Imp fists list.

Given your comments through-out on your models available I think you've got the best set-up. Kantor's "gift" to the Sternguard make them worth it and fluffy too.

The only variation you could pull on this would be a basic five strong S.Bolter/P.Fist Termie squad. Paying for this means getting rid of the Sternies and Whirlwind. This reduces your scoring units but also you're KP's. The Deep strike option alone makes them value for money, their fists add 'fluff' value and they fit nicely with you're already pretty ballanced army.

Just done the maths and it'll leave you 10pts... you could change the Rhino's to H.Bolter Razorbacks... again model dependant.

Welshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2009, 23:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Dude,

Lets talk Sternguard.

Like you I was hesitant about these guys. I really was more attracted to vanguard marines and those power wepons. Then, just like you, I took a unit of them in a drop pod to fill points.

outcome: 1 dead Daemon Prince (Tzneech), 5 terminators and a unit of CSMs (mark of Khorn).

The power of their different ammo types is astonishing. Hellfire ( hit on 3+ wound on 2+) meant that the Daemon Prince and the Terminators hand to make 12-15 armor save ( = death, unless he's got incredible luck). The vengeance round ( AP 3) mean that those Khorn Marines got no armor save.
Mix this with the fact that Sternguard have 2 attacks base and I think you'll find this is a VERY resilient unit that can take and hold and objectives ( With Kantor, his special rule makes Sternguard a scoring unit). by putting them in a Drop pod you also get that important deep strike ability.

Anyways, enough with my fanboygasim over Sternguard. I don't think any of your Tact squads are over powered, they are troop choices after all. Over all it seems pretty balanced. Having no experience with Whirlwinds I have no idea how well it will work.

Any Ideas on what type of Armies your going up against in this tourny?

LET THE TRAITOR'S BLOOD FLOW
bondzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2009, 16:59   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I've seen what sternies do, One guy in the store ran two squads of ten in drop pods with libbys with Gate of Infinity and the Avenger. The drop pods had teleport homers. So, he was teleporting around to trouble zones using either Vengance rounds for marines or hellfires for anything else.

I gave him the idea. I know what Sternguard can do, I just don't think I have the numbers right now. I was really impressed with 20, five just seems like too few. (He eventually droped the list after finding it too unreliable, I'm not sure what he's running now.

With Kantor's second ability these guys will have three attacks base and four on the charge (I see no reason for Kantor not to be attached to them), if anything gets close to my objective they'll have a fight on their hands.

I know I'll be facing at least two Ork armies (thus the Whirlie) and inevitably some marines(thus Fuego). One will either bring his Tau or more Orks, and Michal will more then likely bring marines. Michal regularly goes to GTs so I'll more than likely get stomped, but there's no reason not to give him hell along the way.

Quote:
Quote:
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Old 28 Jan 2009, 18:32   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
I've seen what sternies do, One guy in the store ran two squads of ten in drop pods with libbys with Gate of Infinity and the Avenger. The drop pods had teleport homers. So, he was teleporting around to trouble zones using either Vengance rounds for marines or hellfires for anything else.

I gave him the idea. I know what Sternguard can do, I just don't think I have the numbers right now. I was really impressed with 20, five just seems like too few. (He eventually droped the list after finding it too unreliable, I'm not sure what he's running now.

With Kantor's second ability these guys will have three attacks base and four on the charge (I see no reason for Kantor not to be attached to them), if anything gets close to my objective they'll have a fight on their hands.

I know I'll be facing at least two Ork armies (thus the Whirlie) and inevitably some marines(thus Fuego). One will either bring his Tau or more Orks, and Michal will more then likely bring marines. Michal regularly goes to GTs so I'll more than likely get stomped, but there's no reason not to give him hell along the way.
I see what you mean Sternguard wise, five might not be enough. I would be tempted to drop them and add a Venerable Dreadnought. It would give you a little more ap shooting and CC power. 'Corse this would give you only 3 scoring units.

Welshy has a good idea. The only thing I thing I would worry about is it tens to leave you with out any heavy long range fire power.

and at Welshy: Cymru am byth, brawd, Cymru am byth

Old 28 Jan 2009, 18:52   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I have no venerable Dread, I just did the math and if I dropped them and the Whirliwind I'm just 15 points short of one of those Dev squads that would solve my firepower problem. :P

I could replace then with a 7 man scout squad, but I doubt they'd fare any better. I've run into this problem a lot with the new 'dex, Units come in blocks of points and it's much harder to make use of every point than it was before.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 28 Jan 2009, 18:59   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

drop a power fist, There's you 15.

Old 29 Jan 2009, 03:37   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

The thing is, is the loss of the Sternguard, the Whirlwind, and a powerfist worth four missile launchers and six bolters? The more I look at it the less convinced I am. I think I'll use the devs at a higher points level, one of the Ork players eyes got a little bigger when I mentioned the current list had a whirlwind so I'm hesitant to drop it.

On the opposite side of things I got a look at what the opponents will be fielding.

The one ork player I talked to has four full shoota squads with Powerklaw Nobs, two full Lootas Squads, and a ten man squad of Tankbustas and a Wierdboy. 161 orks. I really don't want to drop anti-infantry fire because of this.

The other ork player has a wied hodgepodge list. I'm not quite sure what he's doing footslogging a Nob squad across the table, only that I'm going to light it up.

Couldn't get any information an anybody else as nobody else tested their list at the store. The horde list worries me a bit though, I'll be hard pressed to kill all of them.

Quote:
Quote: