Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Cheap space marines starter?
Old 23 Jan 2009, 21:02   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun
Default Cheap space marines starter?

okay I'm either going to start my second 40k army as eldar or marine, if I start it as marine, i want to have a drop pod "Hey look behind you, BAM" army but I'll only have about $200 to start, any suggestions?
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2009, 21:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Skeith
Default Re: Cheap space marines starter?

$200 is about 100 right?

How about a SM Battleforce with a seperate drop-pod box set. Then if you have enough maybe a devastator box set.
Skeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2009, 23:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

never over look the AOB box set, you get a good deal and you can sell the orks and the extra terminators off. The battle fore is also a great start point. If you want to have scouts and assault marine go with the battle force. If you want termies and dreadnoughts go with AOB.

LET THE TRAITOR'S BLOOD FLOW
bondzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2009, 00:28   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

well i don't have the codex yet, so what can i put in the drop pods, cause i like terminators.
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Old 24 Jan 2009, 07:07   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

Not Terminators, sadly =P

You can put anything in power armour in them, or a Dreadnought.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2009, 11:11   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

wait on the GW site it says terminators can go in drop pods, and why would a gigantic dreadnought be able to go in but not the smaller terminators?
Old 24 Jan 2009, 18:36   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

That's a typo on GW's part, because the Drop Pod wasn't made for Terminators, nor is it supposed to transport them. Furthermore, it isn't a Dedicated Transport option for them, their armour is too bulky.

But a Drop Pod is a Dedicated Transport option for a Dreadnought, so that a Dreadnought may deep strike.

Dark Adeptus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2009, 21:24   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Deepstriking dreadnoughts are cheesy and broken though.
Old 24 Jan 2009, 23:13   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

To begin with you will need a copy of Codex: Space Marines ($30). I cannot stress how necessary this is.

After that, you will need the core of an army; an HQ choice and two Troops choices. You have two choices of how to proceed from here; you can either purchase big box sets which save you money (at the expense of flexibility) or you can personalise your army at the expense of purchasing fewer models. I'll take you through both choices.

If you go for the big box sets then you have two choices within your price range; Assault on Black Reach box set ($60) and Space Marine Battleforce ($90). Both of these sets save you money compared to purchasing the equivalent boxes separately (you save $80 on the AoBR set and make a $40 saving for the Battleforce) but they only save you money if you were planning on buying the models inside already. Also note that the AoBR models aren't as poseable nor have as many options as the separate box sets. Regardless, Assault on Black Reach is such good value that it is hard to pass up. Not to mention that you get extra things in the box that you can sell or trade to get more Space Marines.

[hr]

Assuming you purchased Assault on Black Reach, you still need another Troops choice to make the army legal, and for this I'd recommend purchasing a Tactical squad ($35). At this point you have an HQ, 2 Elites and 2 Troops choices; the army is legal but nowhere near balanced. You've also spent $125 (including Codex) out of your initial budget of $200.

Now, you mentioned that you wanted Drop Pods ($30) in your army so you might as well purchase one now to start you on your way. A Drop Pod may transport an Honour Guard squad, Command squad, 10-man Tactical squad, Sternguard Veteran squad, Venerable Dreadnought, Dreadnought, Ironclad Dreadnought, Assault squad (without jump packs), Vanguard Veteran squad, Devastator squad or Thunderfire Cannon. Of these you only have Dreadnoughts and Tactical squads that you can use this with (though you have expressed a dislike for Drop Pod Dreadnoughts).

Finally, I would recommend purchasing a Devastator squad ($35). This gives you several options; it allows you to up-gun your Tactical squads' Heavy Weapons (so you get the choice of Lascannons, Heavy Bolters, Multi-meltas and Plasma Cannons instead of just the Missile Launchers they come with). It also gives you more men you can put on the table, which is a very good thing at this point. You don't even need to use all of the heavy weapons at this point, if you desired, and make this a Tactical squad whilst keeping the heavy weapon bits to use with future purchases.

[hr]

If you went for the Space Marine Battleforce ($90) instead, then all you'd need to purchase on top of it to make your army legal would be a Space Marine Captain ($15) for your HQ choice.

At this point, you've spent $135 and have an HQ, 3 Troops and a Fast Attack choice, as well as a Rhino transport. Purchasing a Drop Pod ($30) and a Devastator squad (for the same reasons as given above) round off your army selection nicely. I'd consider this a much more balanced army than the above one, but compared to the individual sets you do save more money with AoBR.

[hr]

If you chose to eschew the big boxes, then you will, at a minimum, need a Space Marine Captain ($15) and two Tactical squads ($35 each) as well as your intended Drop Pod ($30). This is $145 in total. After this, I'd recommend purchasing a Devastator squad ($35) and a Combat squad ($20) to round off your purchases. This gives you another ten man squad; whether this is a Tactical squad or a Devastator squad is up to you.

[hr]

Overall, $200 is not really enough to purchase a good Space Marine army with, but you can make a good start towards one.

My recommendations are summarised below:
  • Codex: Space Marines ($30)
  • Assault on Black Reach ($60)
  • Tactical squad ($35)
  • Drop Pod ($30)
  • Devastator squad ($35)
Total: $190

This army gives you the most value for money by taking advantage of the saving within Assault on Black Reach (and even gives you a little change). Things to bear in mind with this army is that using Terminators and/or a Dreadnought at the points level you are going to be able to play at may be frowned upon in some circles. The army lacks Troops choices, which could hurt you in 2/3rds of the missions you will play out there but has a decent degree of killing power. One final thing to bear in mind is that the models from Black Reach aren't very convertable; your Captain will be stuck with a Power Sword and Boltgun, you won't have an Assault Cannon for your Terminators, and you won't be able to change the weapons on your Dreadnought. These aren't necessarily bad things, but something to bear in mind.

OR
  • Space Marine Battleforce ($90)
  • Space Marine Commander ($15)
  • Drop Pod ($30)
  • Devastator squad ($35)
Total: $200

My opinion is that this is the most balanced of the three armies I've given you. You have three scoring units, which always will be very important for the army and you can then afford to put one of them in the Drop Pod or Rhino and have it attempt to claim objectives outside of your deployment zone. You also have an Assault squad and either a Devastator squad or up-gunned Tactical squads, which will give you a lot of flexibility and killing power. Finally, you can customise your Captain to have a weapons combination of your choice which some people consider rather important.

OR
  • Space Marine Commander ($15)
  • 2 x Tactical squad ($70 total)
  • Drop Pod ($30)
  • Devastator squad ($35)
  • Combat squad ($20)
Total: $200

This one gives you the least amount of models on the table and is therefore my least favourite option of the three, but it does give you complete control over what you have bought (if, say, you didn't want Scouts, Assault squads or Rhinos in your army).

[hr]

If you could spare a little more money then I'd recommend either of the following armies as I feel they are far better than what I have come up with within your budget limitations:
  • Codex Space Marines ($30)
  • Assault on Black Reach ($60)
  • Space Marine Battleforce ($90)
  • Drop Pod ($30)
Total: $210

This would give you a large amount of Troops (35 Tactical Marines plus 5 Scouts) as well as hitting power from the Terminators and Dreadnought. Whilst you'd lose the potential long range firepower that Devastator squad boxes could give you, I feel that the larger amount of bodies on the tabletop may make this a better choice. If you could sell some of the other contents of Black Reach for $10 then you will be able to afford this whilst staying within your existing budget.

OR

Space Marine Strike Force ($240) - a 1500 point army in a box. Whilst it's not as balanced as I'd like (not enough bodies and too much reliance on vehicles for my liking) for a little more than your budget you do get a complete army. You also save $75 on purchasing the individual boxes. Sadly, though, it does not include any Drop Pods which you would have to add yourself.

[hr]

I hope this has helped!
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2009, 23:54   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

well as my finances just got a little tighter, I think i'll just stick to finishing my marine killer Tau army till I can afford the 300 or so bucks to get the squad I really want:

3 Squads of tactical (some heavy weapons included)

3 drop pods

Rhino

Terminator squad

Dreadnought

Still don't know much about space marines so I'll hold off deciding on a commander till I can figure out what I should get. I'd like to go space wolves but, I don't know anything a bout their forces, are they even the same as the regular space marines?