Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

2000 Point Assaulty Space Wolf Drop Pod Army list for review
Old 10 Jan 2009, 00:57   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default 2000 Point Assaulty Space Wolf Drop Pod Army list for review

Most Drop Pod armies are based around shooting, but this one goes the opposite direction. It is a hand-to-hand army that uses drop pods to arrive right in the enemy's face.

Blood Claws in pods are insanely good right now. By taking an 11th member in the squad, you can take a third power fist, and still have room in the pod for a wolf guard sergeant with a power fist of his own. With the counterchange and berzerk charge special rules, that squad is going to get 12 power fist attacks and 31 regular attacks when it charges or when it gets charged. (And that's not even including the characters that go with it)

I'm really happy with this design. 72 bodies with 25 power fists is extremely fierce in HTH combat, and with so many power fists, I find that I don't need many anti-tank or anti-monstrous creature weapons because the fists can handle almost anything out there.
I place Ragnar with the grey hunters so they have berzerk charge as well.

Depending on the opponent, I'll either hide the first three units behind their pods until they can charge the next turn, or I'll deploy in front and hit the enemy with some flamers and bolt shots. It all depends on how much hurt my opponent can put on me. The nice thing about the Wolf Guard Battle leaders is that their combi-meltaguns hit on a 2+, so I get a lot of utility out of that one shot, and they can detach from their squad when they land if they want to and pop a tank.

When I started playtesting the army, I thought it would have trouble with mechanized builds, but boy was I wrong. In 5th edition all power fist hits go against the rear armor, so I found that even when the vehicles were moving fast I'd still get more then enough hits to bring them down. In fact, sometimes I'd charge two or three tanks at once with the same squad and still have enough hits to bring them down.

So far I've played against IG, Mech Eldar, and Shooty Marines, and this list has done extremely well against them. In fact, I like it so much I'm painting up all the power fists I need so I can start fielding it in tournaments instead of just proxying the fists.

2000 Points

Uses Rules From Space Wolves Space Marines Codex

Models: 72 Vehicles: 6

HQ:
Ragnar Blackmane (175 Points)

Wolf Guard Battle Leader with Power Fist and Combi-Meltagun. (100 Points)

Wolf Guard Battle Leader with Power Fist and Combi-Meltagun. (100 Points)

Troops:
Grey Hunters Pack (11 model total):
2 Grey Hunters with Power Fist and Bolt Pistol, 1 Grey Hunter with Meltagun, 7 Grey Hunters with Bolt Pistols and Chainswords. (210 Points)
Wolf Guard Pack Leader with Combi-Meltagun, and Power Fist. (55 Points)
Drop Pod. (35 Points)

Blood Claws Pack (11 model total):
3 Blood Claws with Power Fist, 1 Blood Claw with Flamer, 7 Blood Claws with Bolt Pistols and Chainswords. (196 Points)
Drop Pod with Locator Beacon. (45 Points)

Blood Claws Pack (11 model total):
3 Blood Claws with Power Fist, 1 Blood Claw with Flamer, 7 Blood Claws with Bolt Pistols and Chainswords. (196 Points)
Drop Pod with Locator Beacon. (45 Points)

Blood Claws Pack (12 model total):
Wolf Guard Pack Leader with Combi-Flamer, and Power Fist. (50 Points)
Drop Pod. (35 Points)

Drop Pod. (35 Points)

Drop Pod. (35 Points)
Man, that's the joy of Anime! To revel in the complete and utter wastefullness of making an unstoppable nuclear-powered combat andriod in the shape of a cute little girl, who has the ability to fall in love and wears an enormous bow in her hair.

Don't tell me that you fell for the MTV lie?
The MTV lie is that people who rebel against tradition are thnking for themselves, while those who follow tradition are just sheep who do not think.
It is, of course, completely untrue. The decision to follow tradition is just as much an exercize of free will as is the decision to depart from it.
Doctor Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2009, 21:27   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton
Default Re: 2000 Point Assaulty Space Wolf Drop Pod Army list for review

Oh, bloody hell. I'd enjoy watching that list in action. And a Space Wolf army of 72 Marines painted by your standard would be quite nice on the eye

I don't really see anything to change about it either...high numbers and lots of Power Fists should manage to take care of...well anything.
Heh! Fighting that would really be a challenge, no matter which of my armies I'd field.

Good luck with that.
(oh, and give us pictures on how the work goes )
Chton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2009, 23:22   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Looks pretty nasty, though I'd personally suggest dropping the Blood Claw packs down to 9 models and giving them a Pack Leader. You still get the 3 special CC weapons and the extra leadership.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2009, 22:45   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

wow If I weren't in the middle of a bike army I would love to field something like this... a little too late for me eh :

looks like a really solid list, not sure how an opponent would feel about it for two reasons 1. they will probably get beaten badly and 2. your fielding 5 identical units which is usually frowned upon. I think an army like this would look amazing though and be extremely effective

Cheers,
Anti11es
Old 28 May 2011, 04:50   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

i tried a 3000 point army with ragnar and grimnar and 43 termies, all with storm shields and thunder hammers, and 6 bloodclaws just to even things out. ended up with 10 drop pods.

terrible idea... space wolves dont have a single locator beacon so you cant concentrate your drop pods in a single area. i had 9 ranged models (ragnar, grimnar, 6 bloodclaws, and one awesome termie called arjack rockfist)

so i played a couple games... only enemies i had trouble with were the tau and the eldar, believe it or not. eldar always ran away from me, and tau gunned me down with tanks...

moral of the story, dont all out drop pod assault with the wolves. and DEFINETLY dont termie spam, although its really scary. should have seen my opponents faces...
Stingray56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jun 2011, 04:30   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

DT

I am surprised no one noticed this, You can NOT have 12 troops in a Drop Pod. The max is 10 per Drop Pod, so you really have to decide what to get.

Sorry Vash but he does not get the extra special weapon, it is either ten of the same and special weapons or 9 and the Leader but no special weapons.

How does Ragnar the other HQs get on the board? The concept is solid, but there are better things out there.

Grey Hunters can/should be substitued for one more unit. GHs have Bolt pistols and Bolters, which is better for Rapid firing and better WS/BS. They are a better unit for holding objectives. I recommend at least two units, and with plasmaguns. Now they are better at killing MCs.

I would change up one WGBL into a Wolf Claw from a powerfist, now you have one guy that has re-rolls to wound or hit. Now he is a better character/troop killer.

Scouts are another good option as well. I also take my DP army in Odd numbers.

WT

edit: There are more changes I can recommend but I don't know if you have the models. Please don't get offended but I do like to see other Wolf players go out and kick some A$$.
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0

Last edited by Wolf-Tau; 18 Jun 2011 at 04:39. Reason: Added spaces to make it easier to read.
Wolf-Tau is offline   Reply With Quote