Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1000 point salamanders army list help
Old 01 Jan 2009, 12:41   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default 1000 point salamanders army list help

right now i'm thinking of starting a salamanders army..one that probably wont have to change much because im not looking to buy more than is necessary..a kind of 1000 point do everything army list (if that even exists)..i want to stay fluffy which is why i have the melta weaponry but still practical at the same time..anyways here's wat i got:

HQ
Vulkan He'stan - 190pts

Troops
Tactical Squad 1 (x5)- 180pts
Power weapon
Razorback
Twin-Linked Lascannon

Tactical Squad 2 (x10) - 225pts
Power Weapon
Meltagun
Multi-Melta
Rhino

Elites
Sternguard Veteran Squad (x5) - 245pts
Power Fist
Combi-Melta
Razorback
Twin-Linked Assault Cannon (this can change to lascannon too depending on situation)
Extra Armor

Techmarine - 75pts
Servo-Harness

Heavy Support
Predator - 85pts
Side Sponson Heavy Bolter

Total 1000

the idea is that the techmarine joins the five man tactical squad in the razorback and vulcan he'stan joins the sternguard veteran squad..i realize in terms of number of troops it could be a bit low..but any suggestions would be appreciated..thanks

[edit] sorry about the point costs thing
donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jan 2009, 21:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: 1000 point salamanders army list help

1. You can't list the individual point costs...
2. Down to buisness:

Well my first inclination is...you have too little in the way of Troops. With how cheap tac squads are why only take 15 marines?

I don't like running only 15 scoring Marines in any list, I can kill all your troops in 3 turns with a 3 man reaper squad (tempest Launcher...). 2/3 of the missions played show you facing off for objectives, so while having the big nasties is nice, I'd vote to stay simple for 1K pts.

I'd recommend something like thus:

Troop:
Tactical Squad (10) Flamer, Multi Melta
- Razorback, Assault Cannon, EA

Tactical Squad (10) Flamer (or Melta gun), Multi Melta
Power fist
- Razorback, Assault Cannon, EA

Scout squad (6) sniper rifles and the Hvy bolter (you can pay for cloaks if you feel necessary)

That puts you up to pts with 3 Scoring units and 2 tanks for around 600 pts.

For your HQ I'm not sure if you can use Vulkan in a 1K pt game..if you can he's cheap enough to call it good there, if not, just build a cheap CC Force Commander.

For support, the Pred is good, cheap enough but will probably die fast. Howerver your Razorbacks can be Light tanks that do some good damage. Combined with Flamers riding in them, possibly take a power fist on one of the sergeants and your solid.

I would say that as nice as the Sternguard look, they don't do anything I would take that 200ish pts and use them to buy an Assault terminator squad or such, then put some Locator beacons on your sergants and have fun!

These are my thoughts. I've been playing with a Salamander list and working on the army since the new codex as well, and I'm liking them alot, great to paint and fun to play fluffy. Flamers rape stuff...

-Knight
“If I were a proper brother-captain, I would know the prayer we are supposed to say. But I think you all know what we have to do. We do not know what our chances of survival are, so we fight as if they were zero. We do not know what we are facing, so we fight as if it was the dark gods themselves. No one will remember us now and we may never be buried beneath Titan, so we will build our own memorial here. The Chapter might lose us and the Imperium might never know we existed, but the Enemy - the Enemy will know. The Enemy will remember." - Acting Brother-Capitan Alric of the Grey Knights.
GKTerminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2009, 04:27   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: 1000 point salamanders army list help

Be a minimalist with the razorbacks. They're to fragile for expensive guns, just give them heavy bolters. It would probably be better to use rhinos so you could have big squads of marines.

Vulkan He'stan is badass, but a cheaper captain may make more since at 1k. Maybe.
the_vilest_worm is offline   Reply With Quote