Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1850 Salamanders, NO POWER ARMOUR.
Old 01 Dec 2008, 21:25   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default 1850 Salamanders, NO POWER ARMOUR.

Vulkan He'stan - 190

10 man Terminator Assault squad - 400
Thunder hammer + SS

10 man Terminator Assault squad - 400
Thunder hammer + SS

5 man Terminator Assault squad - 200
Thunder hammer + SS

Land Raider Redeemer - 240

5 Scouts, snipers, 1 Missile launcher - 85

5 Scouts, snipers. - 75

Total points = 1845

Just a purely fun list that i'm toying around with the idea of. Priced out, it comes to 439$ canadian, more than i have right now, but that's with forgeworld shoulders for the terminators and doors for the land raider. All the terminators would combat squad, and just own everything with thunder hammers. The last squad of 5 would run with Vul'kan (modelled as a terminator, even through he isn't) and ride in the redeemer. The scouts infiltrate and snipe out anything that my terminators can't take on in close combat.

Any feedback is welcome. I don't plan to build this army anytime soon (college student budget) but still, it seems like fun to play.
Deadman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Dec 2008, 23:26   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: 1850 Salamanders, NO POWER ARMOUR.

too bad you couldn't give multimeltas to the scouts to take advantage of He'stan's chapter tactics.
Old 02 Dec 2008, 01:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I agree, i was thinking of taking out the last squad of scouts, and giving the scout captain a combi melta or something, for fluff, but i think 25 master crafted thunder hammers and a redeemer is enough sallies theme to the army
Old 02 Dec 2008, 18:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Hahah! That's hilarious.

I'd drop the last squad of scouts to free up some points. Use those points to make the redeemer a crusader with multi melta. The more multi meltas the better!

Finally use the remaining points to either get camo cloaks for a couple squads of scouts or a land speeder with multi melta. You need some ranged anti tank in there, otherwise I think this could work. Not the best list ever, but hilarious fun no less.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Dec 2008, 18:27   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

I see the cheese is out in force...
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Dec 2008, 18:52   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus Carnage
It's not cheesy at all. If anything it's an underpowerd list. It's slow, it has very little ranged firepower, and most of that is at BS 3.

Yeah its hard to kill, but taking it on one piece at a time and it'll die.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02 Dec 2008, 19:11   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

...I'm not sure I understand though, why scouts? :P

As for the terminators, I've got a squad of 5 assault termies with FW Salamander shoulder pads and TH/SS that I'm thinking about getting rid of. I don't have a camera but the hammers have been glued to the bodies and sprayed black already, but the shield arms are left off and unpainted. I had some trouble gluing the shoulder pad and head on the sergeant but overall I think they look pretty good (one of them is posed rather nicely) and the paint could be stripped easily enough if you don't want to undercoat black. If you're interested I'd trade them for a Tau devilfish.

But that's only for a tank though, I'm still entertaining the idea of my own Salamander army (even though I'm admittedly turned off by lack of money and the fact that everyone is doing Sallies now), but I'd like to have an extra fish for my main army.

Personally though I think your list is just a little terminator heavy. I'd take out a squad of ten and keep three squads of five, and try to squeeze another land raider in. I'd try to take at least one tac squad too, but I understand this is a fun list so... :P

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Dec 2008, 19:46   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstead
Hahah! That's hilarious.

I'd drop the last squad of scouts to free up some points. Use those points to make the redeemer a crusader with multi melta. The more multi meltas the better!

Finally use the remaining points to either get camo cloaks for a couple squads of scouts or a land speeder with multi melta. You need some ranged anti tank in there, otherwise I think this could work. Not the best list ever, but hilarious fun no less.
I could do the Crusader with Multi Melta, that would probably work just as well. I had the idea when i was down at this sunday's local tournament, and one of the guys was playing terminator heavy Black Templars (i only saw 2 5man squads of termies, but i didn't play against him) and i thought to myself "man, i could do better than that. and with 3+ invulnerable saves too!" I figured it would be a hilarious one trick pony.

Quote:

I was less thinking about effectiveness, and more considering on the theme of no power armour in a marine army. Also, i love the thought of terminators with storm sheilds, and now the new rules actually make them good to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstead
Quote:
It's not cheesy at all. If anything it's an underpowerd list. It's slow, it has very little ranged firepower, and most of that is at BS 3.

Yeah its hard to kill, but taking it on one piece at a time and it'll die.
I'm perfectly fine with running spammy, underpowered lists that i think are cool. All of my lists are spammy, be it my Plague marine spam Death guard, my Vehicle spamming orks, or my Cold Ones spamming Dark elves. I figured that a bunch of assault terminators would be fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidstyler
...I'm not sure I understand though, why scouts? :P

As for the terminators, I've got a squad of 5 assault termies with FW Salamander shoulder pads and TH/SS that I'm thinking about getting rid of. I don't have a camera but the hammers have been glued to the bodies and sprayed black already, but the shield arms are left off and unpainted. I had some trouble gluing the shoulder pad and head on the sergeant but overall I think they look pretty good (one of them is posed rather nicely) and the paint could be stripped easily enough if you don't want to undercoat black. If you're interested I'd trade them for a Tau devilfish.

But that's only for a tank though, I'm still entertaining the idea of my own Salamander army (even though I'm admittedly turned off by lack of money and the fact that everyone is doing Sallies now), but I'd like to have an extra fish for my main army.

Personally though I think your list is just a little terminator heavy. I'd take out a squad of ten and keep three squads of five, and try to squeeze another land raider in. I'd try to take at least one tac squad too, but I understand this is a fun list so... :P
Oooooh, sid, i am interested. Although i don't have the devilfish yet. Can i get back to you in a couple weeks? (if i win the next tournament, which is a possibility, i win a redeemer/crusader. I could work up from those 2 units.) I decided to do Sallies as they're one of my favorite fluff chapters, as well as the chapter from which my DiY chaos chapter came from. It's meant to be as terminator heavy as it is, in the original list, there was no redeemer, only Vulkan, 3 squads of 10 TH/SS Termies, and the rest of the points in sniper scouts. I chose scouts because in my general time fighting against the new marines, scouts have been the unit that impressed me the most. Sternguard are a 1 trick pony, Vanguard, are prettier assault marines, they still die to shooting. Scouts sitting in cover on the objective are hard as nails, and sniper rifles seem to be pretty good. I'm thinking that Camo cloaks are needed though.
Old 03 Dec 2008, 08:10   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman42
Sternguard are a 1 trick pony,
BULL PIES! BULL PIES TO THE MAX! Sternguard are a 4 trick pony and all 4 of those tricks mean they can effectively deal with any non vehichle unit in the game.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03 Dec 2008, 17:35   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I guess so. I've only fought them a couple of times, but I learned my lesson the first time, and the second time they were not a strong unit in the overall scheme of things. The first time, they drop podded, and unloaded rapid fire combi-plasma death into my Nurgle Daemon prince, who died in a salvo of shooting. The next game, he tried to do the same thing, but my daemon prince was in cover. from there, i fly out, and tear a bunch of them in half. The sternguard were wiped out in a couple of turns. He still won the game though.