Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Constructing a viable, but fluffy, 1500pt Crimson Fist list
Old 21 Nov 2008, 02:31   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Constructing a viable, but fluffy, 1500pt Crimson Fist list

So im trying to make a Crimson Fist army list that fits their fluff, but is also effective. Here is what im looking at right now:

HQ:

Pedro Kantor - 175

Troop:

5x Scouts w/ 5x Sniper Rifles - 75

5x Scouts w/ 5x Sniper Rifles - 75

Elites:

10x Sternguard w/ 2x Combi-Melta - 260

Heavy:

5x Devastator w/ 4x Plasma Cannon - 190

Thunderfire Cannon - 100

Thunderfire Cannon - 100

TOTAL: 1495

So.. what do you think? I know there are some glaring weaknesses here.. but id like to see some folks point them out for me cause im not 100% on any of this (im a newbie).

Any criticism and/or help is welcome. Feel free to be brutal..you wont hurt my feelings.
Corbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Nov 2008, 02:43   #2 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: Constructing a viable, but fluffy, 1500pt Crimson Fist list

Instead of Combi-Weapons for the Sternguard, maybe you should give them actual Special/Heavy Weapons. Drop 2 or 4 Sternguards if you need the points.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Nov 2008, 02:49   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

but isnt it sorta against the fluff to have SM squads at anything other than 5 or 10 members? Ive always been kinda confused on this issue.

Originally I had the Sternguard using multi-meltas for the same cost.. but I ended up going with combi so that they could all fire at the same range with the special ammunition.

Old 21 Nov 2008, 06:04   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

At first I was against the 2 Scout squads but realized they were the compulsory. I'd drop one Thunderfire cannon if not both, and add a vehicle or two in there, maybe two Rhinos.
ct_drummer_boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Nov 2008, 08:43   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct_drummer_boi
At first I was against the 2 Scout squads but realized they were the compulsory. I'd drop one Thunderfire cannon if not both, and add a vehicle or two in there, maybe two Rhinos.
Yah I have to take em.. but, they are also somewhat fluffy for the Crimson Fists..since the chapter is currently underpowered. If ive read the fluff correctly, they are currently full of alot of scouts, with few veterans. So.. including scouts in the list seems fitting.

Also.. if I keep the scout squads around Pedro.. that is 20 sniper shots in the shooting phase.. cant be a BAD thing.

As for the Thunderfire.. yah I wasnt sure if that was a good choice or not.. but.. what I liked about them was that they provided me with some long range artillary on the cheap.. and they seem like they will be good for both slowing down advancing troops (Subterranean shot), which will be useful with with my emphasis on the gun line...and for taking out horde infantry, which is fluffy since the Crimson Fist are supposed to be experts at killing Orks. I also really like the Thunderfire Cannon miniature.

Also.. I didnt see much need for a Rhino or anything since I dont have any units that id want to get CLOSER to the enemy with.. all of them are stronger if they keep their distance. I certainly wouldnt mind having more useful ranged damage.. but what are my choices? Whirlwind?.. I think the Thunderfire does a better job than a whirlwind..for the points...and it is more versatile. Though the damage on the Whirlwind is better, the Thunderfire gets 4 shots...i dunno though, that little bit of extra damage/AP could make a big enough difference to make the Whirlwind a better choice.

A couple Vindicators could be fun.. but their damage comes at less than half the range of a Thunderfire.. and I dont have any assault units to back them up as they close with the enemy.. plus..they would be great big targets for any anti-tank stuff the other guy has.

More Devastators has definitely crossed my mind.. but they are incredibly expensive by comparison. More useful in alot of situations im sure... but those two Thunderfire Cannons cost about the same amount as a single squad.. and they will pump out 8 blast shots of pretty good damage.. and at a range of 5 feet to boot.

So I guess my question is.. why go with something other than the Thunderfire in this list?
Old 21 Nov 2008, 18:47   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

You seem to be lacking in long range anti tank so I recommend droping one of the thunderfires and increasing your dev to a ten man squad and replace two plasma cannons with las cannons. than combat squad the devs. Now you have an anti heavy infantry and anti tank squad. Another thing I would do( you dont't have to but I would) is drop the other thunderfire and get two rhinos with extra armor. I know you what to have a gun line but say you are playing static tau and they outshoot you. Your gonna want some mobilty then and if your are playing orks than you could always send the rhinos out to contest objectives or muck up fire lanes One last thing, Pedro dosn't add +1 to shooting only to assault attacks. So stick him with you sternguard for a decent counter assault. Think about it you have as many attacks as vangaurd. But nothing is set in stone so just do what you want
Durais20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Nov 2008, 19:09   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

All good info. Thanks Durais.. thats gonna change everything hehe.
Old 25 Nov 2008, 04:13   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I'd replace all the Plasma Cannons all together, keep two las cannons and two heavy bolters, with the remaining points you could beef up the squad so that when they start taking hits, you can get rid of regular bolter marines. Then again, if you're playing against a horde army, then the cannons are good, but thats leaning mroe towards tooling than a balanced take all comer list.
takahashikun is offline   Reply With Quote