Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Blood Angels 1750/2000
Old 27 Oct 2008, 01:39   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Blood Angels 1750/2000

I've been playing my Angels for a couple months now I guess, and I'd like to see how my lists stack up to what others play/expect to see. It's probably not what you expect!

My 1,750

Captain 130
Power Weapon
Plasma Pistol

Honour Guard 230
Company Champion
Tech Adept
Sanguinary Priest
2 Power Weapons

Chaplain 120
Jump Pack

10 Death Company 200
Jump Packs

10 Tactical Marines 195
Flamer

10 Tactical Marines 280
Melta
Powerfist
Rhino
Extra Armour

10 Tactical Marines 235
Flamer
Powerfist
Plasma Pistol

10 Tactical Marines 195
Flamer

Dreadnought 160
Extra Armour
Venerable
Plasma Cannon

I usually include more Dreanoughts in the list though, so check out my 2K and see how it compares.

Captain 115
Power Weapon

Honour Guard 200
Sanguinary Priest
Tech Adept
Company Champion

Chaplain 120
Jump Pack

10 Death Company 200
Jump Packs

10 Tactical Marines 250
Flamer
Rhino
Extra Armour

10 Tactical Marines 225
Melta
Powerfist

10 Tactical Marines 235
Flamer
Power Fist
Plasma Pistol

5 Devastators 200
3 Missile Launchers
1 Plasma Cannon

Dreadnought 160
Extra Armour
Venerable
Multi-Melta

Dreadnought 160
Extra Armour
Venerable
Plasma Cannon

Dreadnought 140
Extra Armour
Multi-Melta

My 2,000 point list has a few wins and draws, and no losses currently. My 1,750 has yet to be tried, though I expect it'll do well. I think it's the best list I've written so far. My main predicament is my lack of Assault Marine models, so my Tactical marines have been having to really prove their worth in assault as well as shooting, and so far have not let me down. I understand adding some Tactical marines would make the list stronger and more competitive, but as it stands I think it's plenty competitive enough, I've gone up against good players with strong armies and have come out on top, including the new marines on many occasions against multiple play styles, and even Black Templars and Space Wolves (the two 'broken' non-codex Space Marine codices).

The space wolves I think was my greatest test of mettle. According to my opponent, adding Ragnar Blackmane to a unit of Blood Claws gives them 6 attacks each on the charge... Something I did not know, that kind of cost me a command squad plus captain. It doesn't matter so much, as though we didn't get to finish the game I was obviously going to come out on top unless I had some real bad rolling. I had gotten him into a position where he couldn't have fought off all of the assaults I threw at him.

Anyway, back on topic, please critique my lists here. Understand upfront that they are strong lists, in my hands at least, and I always run below average luck-wise. So, tell me what'll make 'em stronger, and most especially tell me what you liek and what makes them weak. That's what I want to know the most.

By the way, it was the 2K list that broke the Space Wolves' back.

EDIT: Wow, I just checked my copy of Codex: Space Wolves again and Ragnar does not give the little bastards 6 attacks on the charge. They receive nothing from having him! That means I should've had a command squad still partially alive after that charge. Even more cause to celebrate on my part, I'll have to inform my opponent that he does not get 4 extra attacks on the charge per model from Ragnar. I thought that was a bit silly.

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2008, 10:26   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Blood Angels 1750/2000

not a real BA list in my opinion, you've just run a 'nilla list and added on the death company. :-\
Renolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2008, 19:12   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renolds
not a real BA list in my opinion, you've just run a 'nilla list and added on the death company. :-\
And the problem with that is?

EDIT: What I mean is, since the army itself is still strong, what difference does it make if it's just a slightly modified vanilla list? After all, Blood Angels are a strict codex chapter, only diverging in that they use Furioso Dreadnoughts and Baal Predators.

I don't think Furioso Dreadnoughts have any place in a Blood Angels list in anything less than an Apocalypse game anyway, expecially the way I run 'em. After all there've been what, 4 Furiosos in total in the history of the chapter, and only one was Death Company for cryin' out loud. I do want some Baal Predators though, I just don't have the money for them unfortunately.

Old 03 Nov 2008, 01:59   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'm gonna offer up a shameless bump here, because after a weekend of gaming I feel this is still relavent.

I did not, unfortunately, get to try my 1,750, but the concept that it's based on seems fundamentally sound given how my 1,250 did today. I lost to a Crimson Fist player on luck (mostly since he popped my Venerable Death Company Furioso the first time he pointed a Lascannon at it, though my Death Company spent literally 5 game turns pumelling his single Dreadie into submission). So, for my 1,750, just replace the single Dread in that with a Venerable Extra Armour Furioso Dreadnought and that's what the current list will look like... More thoughts?

Old 04 Nov 2008, 08:48   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I like the list, I too run a similar Blood Angels list though mine normally is all infantry.
Looking at your 1750 point list, I would have to say its lacking in the heavy weapons/long range department, I know your going for a close in rapid fire kind of list but you still need some punch. As it is you only have 7 weapons, including CCW's that are above strength 4, if you face an army with more than a couple of tanks or a few Monstrous Creatures then you will have a VERY hard time killing them. Your enemy can target the squad in the rhino and the Dreadnought, wipe them out and you wouldn't be able to put up a fight at all if he just kept his distance.

A little advice I learnt from experience and this site, is you never take to the table with only 1 or 2 vehicles, you have to have at least 3 or 4 (preferably with a durable one in there) or no tanks at all, otherwise the 1 or 2 tanks will just be shot to bits by every anti tank weapon your opponent has on the field.

The 2000 point list on the other hand has a good amount of vehicles, seems to have enough strong weaponry and seems balanced in combat, and short range and long range shooting.

Hope you keep having fun with Blood Angels, and keep learning new things!
I hope I helped, and if there is anything else, just ask.
Clive.
Old 04 Nov 2008, 13:44   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The Rhino was thrown in mostly to fill points, as it's difficult to just take 55 points and stay WYSIWYG.

As far as the vehicles go, up until recently I'd agree that you need more than just a couple of Vehicles, but as I've been playing my Blood Angels I've noticed that my vehicles just don't die the way I use them - I treat them as the fragile things they are, stick to cover when I can, and blow smoke when I can't. I don't put them in danger until I feel their sacrifice is justified. Really, even in lists when I just run a single Dreadnought, it will normally last well into the end of the game.

I also did not see a problem on the Heavy Weapon front. As I've said, my 2K list is based on a very sound concept, and my 1,750 is based very much on that same concept. Thus far I've beaten Nid lists with 4-5 Monstrous Creatures, I've severely crippled a Mech force (and lost mostly due to luck when a stray Lascannon blew up my Furioso who was hiding in cover the turn before it charged, and my Death Company did not Rend for 4 straight game turns against his Dreadnought), and I've handled infantry-heavy and MEQ-heavy lists with telative ease as well.

Now, I'm sure a good part of this is me as a player. I don't mean to bump my ego, but I'm certainly better than a lot of other players, and it's not just the armies I choose either. I do appreciate the advice, and I can try to put it to good use in my lists (and I would have more Meltas and such, except that I don't have the models for them), but being that my list doesn't have trouble dealing with other lists, I'm not sure if there's really any problems with the list as such.

I know, I shouldn't be saying that, since I did ask for comments and critique, but that is my current view. I would like, however, to see somebody come up with a counter-list for this one. I want to see what I'm susceptible too as well... Anyone up to the task?

Old 04 Nov 2008, 18:17   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well, I feel that a good Eldar force could lay down a good amount of hurt. Really any "tailored list" could proabably beat you out with a competent player behind it. That is the point of a Tailored list after all. I feel that some lists could waltz over you, because you don't have speed, but that's probably because, I'm an Eldar player that's been dabbling.
Old 05 Nov 2008, 01:58   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

My last game against Eldar I was cleanly massacred. First of all, I think that Eldar are overpowered as a whole. Those of you that know me may be wondering what could cause me to say this (I usually believe that the games are well-balanced enough that a good, thinking player can overcome any list), but there are simply some nasty, nasty entries in that Codex. For example, 5 points ensures that your Howling Banshees always get a charge bonus, even when they don't charge. How is that fair? Or, as another example, how can a unit of 6 Wraithguard overcome a similar number of Death Company led by a Chaplain, only taking minor casualties? He also beat me out a decent amount on luck, but I usually play with poor luck and can still overcome pretty much any army.

I just feel that Eldar are more than capable of massacring anything. I'm lucky we don't have many of them at my store. I wasn't even outmanouevred, just out-muscled.

And Tailored lists don't always work, even with a competant player at the helm. I went against the most anti-magic Helf army ever created with my Vampire Counts and still cleanly tabled them. I just want to know where my real weaknesses are - mobility is one of them, but combat usually still breaks out by turn 2, which is really the best most players can ask for. I would include more Vehicles if I didn't have to sacrifice so many bodies to do it.

Old 05 Nov 2008, 16:18   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

However, Banshees are easily destroyed in certain situations... Eldar are an all or nothing army, they either Victorious slaughter (or better) or are slaughtered. Especially in 5th, Eldar crush people who aren't hitting them where it hurts.

But this is about your list...
I feel that you haven't used the most obvious bonus that the BA have, jump marines. They are the most speed oriented marines, and yet you don't have any. I feel that you could use a few of them. They are versatile, fast and tough. Pretty much the entire reason I am looking at starting BA. I think that you should use that advantage. (You also get extra attacks with them .