Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

2,000 Points - Black Templars
Old 20 Oct 2008, 00:10   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default 2,000 Points - Black Templars

Yeah, wanted to get some criticism before I enter this for a pyramid ranking system my local hobby shop is starting up. Ignore names and fluff, I just need comments on the list. Obviously I wish it to be competitive, but not uber cheesy (Or I just would've used 5 landraiders or something).

140 – Emperor’s Champion, Accept Any Challenge
175 – High Marshal Helbrecht
120 – Chaplain, Holy Hand Grenade
168 –Venerable Dreadnought, SL, Extra Armor, Drop Pod
95 – 5x Sword Brethren, Infiltrate
215 – 10x Initiates (BP+CCW) 4x Neophytes (BP+CCW), Powerfist
179 – 9x Initiates (Bolters), Flamer, Drop Pod
155 – Vindicator, Smoke Launchers, PotMS
268 – Land Raider Crusader. SL
268 – Land Raider Crusader, SL

Total: 2,000

Basic plan is to launch the Land Raiders and Vindicator forward, and probably pop smokes (hooray for downgrade to glancing!). Keeping the Vindicator back so that it's main cannon won't be destroyed. Helbrecht and the Champion are riding in the Raiders. Meanwhile, in reserves my Sword Brethren will outflank to throw a wrench in my enemy's battleplan. Can support my two big squads when they come in. The Venerable Dread in his drop pod will cause some hurt wherever he lands, and the Chaplain will land with my other Initiate squad to get some mobile fire support down and launch themselves into the enemy if the need arises.

My main concern is lack of long range anti-tank. I probably should sneak more melta-guns into my list, but was hoping the Vindicator, Crusader's Multi-meltas, and Power Fists could deal with the majority of enemy armor... on second thought, I definitely may need some more anti-tank. Any thoughts on where to sneak it in?

C&C Welcome.
Old 20 Oct 2008, 01:48   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190
Default Re: 2,000 Points - Black Templars

It looks pretty decent.

But, are you expecting many tanks?

If yes, more melta guns or a predator annyhilator. If no, then you should be fine. However, flamers can be pretty deadly all the time, and its kindof dangerous splitting your force nearly down the middle(what am I saying, I do that all the time : )
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Oct 2008, 02:09   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Tanks or big critters could be a problem... the anti-infantry firepower provided by the Crusaders will punish anyone foolish enough not to take tanks, as well as the Crusaders close combat hitting power. That's the plan at least. I've made some minor revisions to include meltaguns in the 3 Crusader squads and the Sword Brethren squad on my word document, will update it onto the site eventually.

Splitting your force down the middle? You mean going anti-infantry and anti-tank?
Old 20 Oct 2008, 02:12   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

On the field, and off the field is what I'm talking about
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Oct 2008, 02:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Ah, I see.

Yeah, usually I'm not a fan of that either. However, the Land Raiders are tough enough to take a lot of punishment, but still entice my enemy to move into positions to deal with them. This opens up oppurtunities for my reserves to get favorable positions. Also, most of my enemy's anti-infantry firepower will be wasted if their are no infantry on the board until they're in combat! Besides, I love drop pods and wanted to throw a few in my army. The Sword Brethren were more of an "extras" unit I threw in there for kicks. Don't expect them to do much, but the ability to come in from a board edge and engage anything up to 12" away is pretty useful in my mind.

General idea is that reserves come in early enough and that the Land Raiders offer enough solid protection that having less points on the board won't be a big downer. The enemy will hopefully be caught between my "anvil", the LRC and Vindicator, and my "hammer", my reserve troops that will show up behind. The enemy will have nowhere to fall back or redeploy to once the main force gets up close.

Other useful thing is that I can always bring my reserves in near objectives my other forces have not secured, counter fast enemy units that slip through my line, or defend my home objective if it comes under attack.
Old 22 Oct 2008, 04:21   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by sionnach19
Yeah, wanted to get some criticism before I enter this for a pyramid ranking system my local hobby shop is starting up. Ignore names and fluff, I just need comments on the list. Obviously I wish it to be competitive, but not uber cheesy (Or I just would've used 5 landraiders or something).

140 – Emperor’s Champion, Accept Any Challenge
175 – High Marshal Helbrecht
120 – Chaplain, Holy Hand Grenade
168 –Venerable Dreadnought, SL, Extra Armor, Drop Pod
95 – 5x Sword Brethren, Infiltrate
179 – 9x Initiates (Bolters), Flamer, Drop Pod
155 – Vindicator, Smoke Launchers, PotMS
268 – Land Raider Crusader. SL
268 – Land Raider Crusader, SL

Total: 2,000

Basic plan is to launch the Land Raiders and Vindicator forward, and probably pop smokes (hooray for downgrade to glancing!). Keeping the Vindicator back so that it's main cannon won't be destroyed. Helbrecht and the Champion are riding in the Raiders. Meanwhile, in reserves my Sword Brethren will outflank to throw a wrench in my enemy's battleplan. Can support my two big squads when they come in. The Venerable Dread in his drop pod will cause some hurt wherever he lands, and the Chaplain will land with my other Initiate squad to get some mobile fire support down and launch themselves into the enemy if the need arises.

My main concern is lack of long range anti-tank. I probably should sneak more melta-guns into my list, but was hoping the Vindicator, Crusader's Multi-meltas, and Power Fists could deal with the majority of enemy armor... on second thought, I definitely may need some more anti-tank. Any thoughts on where to sneak it in?

C&C Welcome.
IMO the chaplain and SB are going to get smoked. I'd drop them. Helbrecht would greatly benefit from a command squad. If maxed out it'd essentially give him 15 extra wounds, but you do have to pay for furious charge. However, with your lack of other scoring units I think you are best attaching him to a crusader squad.

I'd give the bolter Pod squad a powerfist. I'd also probably go with a plasma or melta for the extra oomph. For hordes see my advice below about your pods.

I'd take the points from the chappy and SB and add another dread in a pod or another vindicator. Both can blast tanks.

Alternatively, if you want some tank busting get some MM attack bikes.

I'd also consider deathwind launchers for your pods. Now that blasts don't really miss the BS 2 is no big deal. Start dropping pie plates in someones backfield and they suddenly are quite dangerous. Not to mention whatever hops out.