Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1750 Points - Drop Pod Crimson Fists *Revised
Old 12 Oct 2008, 02:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default 1750 Points - Drop Pod Crimson Fists *Revised

*Edit* not that anyone's checked this... : but I revised it to 1750 for a tournamant I may attend in January. Added some heavy weapons and close combat punch.

Hey all! Figured I should start planning which units I need to purchase to use with my new Marine list. I really wanted to make a drop pod army, I think the rules are great, so through together some rules and united them under Pedro Kantor (my favorite of the new special characters)... Viola!

175 Pedro Kantor
100 Librarian, Gate of Infinity and Force Shield
295 10x Sternguard, 2x Combi-weapons, Drop Pod
300 10x Sternguard, 1x Combi-weapon, Drop Pod w/Locator Beacon
230 10x Tactical Marines, 1x Melta-gun, 1x Multi-melta, Powerfist, Drop Pod
235 10x Tactical Marines, 1x Melta-gun, 1x Multi-melta, Powerfist, Drop Pod
100 - Thunderfire Cannon
155 - 10x Assault Marines, Sergeant w/Power Weapon and Storm Shield, Drop Pod
155 - 10x Assault Marines, Sergeant w/Power Weapon and Storm Shield, Drop Pod

Total: 1750

General plan is to have the Sternguards and dread land first, with the Librarian and Pedro tagging along in the drop pods. The tactical squads will show up later on, homing in on the locator beacon to provide more support. The sternguards can put out some truly devastating firepower, and if the enemy gets to close combat Pedro's bonus attack aura and my hidden powerfists should do the trick. A potential 8 scoring units as well, which I consider a bonus. The Assault Marines give me some charge/counter charge kick and can clear the way for my tactical squads and thunderfire to land later on. The thunderfire may be a weakspot, but with all the blast templates, affordable price, and attendant techmarine it was hard to refuse. I think the list is a little lacking vs. infantry swarms like IG, Nids, or Orks and those blast templates are my key to victory. I could always swap out the melta-guns for flamers, as well...

Thoughts and ideas? I want this list to be semi-competitive but certainly not the cheese-to-end-all-cheese kinda army list...
Old 14 Oct 2008, 02:48   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Wild
Default Re: 1750 Points - Drop Pod Crimson Fists *Revised

My main question is why are the Assault Marines in drop pods. They lack jump packs if that's the case, which would make them less effective.
Old 14 Oct 2008, 20:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: 1750 Points - Drop Pod Crimson Fists *Revised

More model restriction. This list is using Black Templars models, so I have plenty of guy equipped with BP+CCW, minus the jump pack. It fits with the whole deepstriking thing, and personally I'm much more fond of the drop pod than normal deepstriking. To use the jump pack's deepstrike reliably, I would need a locator beacon in the first wave, which means my assault Marines cannot deepstrike until the second wave, which means they cannot charge until the third turn... :-\

Mostly model restriction, though. Bleh, my math is way off on the assault marines as well... back to the drawing board...