Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

White Scars - New Codex List
Old 22 Sep 2008, 09:16   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default White Scars - New Codex List

Designed to be fluffy and fun to play with, if a little inefficient (more a showcase army than a tournament list):

HQ
Ko'Sarro Khan w/ Moondrakken 205
Command Squad w/ Company Standard, Company Champion, 1 Power Fist, 2 Power Weapons 290

Troops
Bike Squad (8+AB) w/ Biker Sgt w/ Power Weapon, 2 Flamers, Attack Bike w/ Multimelta 290
Bike Squad (8+AB) w/ Biker Sgt w/ Power Weapon, 2 Meltaguns, Attack Bike w/ Multimelta 300
Bike Squad (8+AB) w/ Biker Sgt w/ Power Weapon, 2 Plasmaguns, Attack Bike w/ Multimelta 310
Scouts Sgt w/ Power Weapon 90

Fast Attack
Scout Bikers (5) w/ 3 Astartes Grenade Launchers, Locator Beacon 165
Land Speeder Squadron w/ 2x Tornados with Multimelta/Assault Cannon, 1x Typhoon w/ Heavy Bolter Typhoon Launcher 290

Total Cost: 1990
Model Count: 47 w/ 43 wounds @ T4(5), 5 light infanty (transported) and 4 light vehicles.

Will probably expand to a legal 300 point force once it's done, but that's a heck of a lot of bikes to paint up.

Thoughts?

Extartius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2008, 10:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: White Scars - New Codex List

I played around with making some White Scars lists myself yesterday. I also have some limited (very limited) experience with a Ravenwing force.

A couple things I would consider, without dramatically changing the list:

Moving one of the attack bikes into the remaining fast attack slot

Dropping the company standard (though, by all means, go ahead and model it). I reckon with Khan's furious charge added to this squad they're gonna win vitually every combat by a good margin anyway.

Maybe reconsider the points invested in the Land Speeders. I'm guessing you want to deep-strike them nearby the scout bikers since you have the locator beacon? I just think that's really risky. On the one hand if you're doing an outflank with the scouts bikers there's no guarantee they'll roll up before the speeders. On the other, there aren't many of them and their armour is only 4+, so if you put them out alone to start the battle, they could easily die before the speeders get out of reserve.

Oh, and how could you take them without cluster mines? They've gotta be worth taking for the psychological effect alone.

I also fear for your other scout squad for similar reasons. Though eventually deciding against it so I could get more bikes, I was strongly considering a squad of these guys with cloaks, sniper rifles, and one of those nasty looking hellfire heavy bolters. I was toying with the idea of infiltrating them in cover and then putting cluster mines in that cover > I can't tell for sure if that would work without setting off the the mines, but it was a nice thought. Anyway, even without that trick, I think they'd be safer deployed further away and with the intention of sniping tough units, rather than as close combat troops, which I gather is your intention by the power sword.

I also plan on running a command squad, but without the standard, with one less powersword. This way you can still distribute wounds in such a way that extra wounds are isolated. By the way, in my planned 2000 point list I think I'll have this squad accompanied by a chaplain as well as kor'sarro. It's the one extravagant unit that I figure I can indulge myself with.

I hope I haven't come across as disparaging of your entire list, because I like most of it!
Chimerical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2008, 11:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Sorry, I missed out the Land Speeder Storm... which would try to deliver the small scout squad into winnable combats, more as a disruption than anything else... and that's where my other precious fast attack choice went.

The scout bikers are a quandiary... they can scout and/or infiltrate (according to the book, not sure if it's a misprint or what) and of course they can outflank. Perhaps the Locator Beacon should be replaced with Cluster Mines. I'll probably get more use out of them to be honest.

Thanks very much for those comments, you were very helpful. I too wanted to get a Chappy or Libby in, but wasn't too worried about it in the grand scheme of things (I have a Librarian modelled already, and he'll probably get used in smaller games, but mostly the army is designed around what I already have and what I want to get).

Old 22 Sep 2008, 14:54   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Its not a bad list, though I'd suggest dropping some of the power weapons from the command squad cutting the cost and making sure the squad has some ablative wounds to absorb light incoming fire or the occasional heavy that might get tossed at them.

You could also think about re-arranging your Bike Squadrons. If I'm reading the list right you have 3 squads of 8. I'd suggest making 5 units of 5 and adding one additional biker. Dropping the two power weapons and maybe an upgrade here or there should easily get you the points for the last guy and it will turn your 3 scoring units into 5 which will help contest objectives and what not.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2008, 15:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
Its not a bad list, though I'd suggest dropping some of the power weapons from the command squad cutting the cost and making sure the squad has some ablative wounds to absorb light incoming fire or the occasional heavy that might get tossed at them.

You could also think about re-arranging your Bike Squadrons. If I'm reading the list right you have 3 squads of 8. I'd suggest making 5 units of 5 and adding one additional biker. Dropping the two power weapons and maybe an upgrade here or there should easily get you the points for the last guy and it will turn your 3 scoring units into 5 which will help contest objectives and what not.
Thanks for the comments.

Actually, each squad is made up of 8 Bikes + 1 Attack Bike. This allows them to split into combat squads (with the AB counting as two) so technically I've got six squads of five already. I prefer this from a purely ascetic point of view, plus it should help in kill-point missions as I'll be able to switch from 6 to 3 available KP.

I may drop the power weapons eventually as it does make one expensive unit. However, I'd have to have somewhere to spend the 30 points saved, and at present my options are limited. Food for thought.

Old 23 Sep 2008, 07:45   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
Technically I've already got 6 squads of 5 as full bike squads (8+AB) can be split into combat squads.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll consider the Command Squad thing, but mainly I'm looking to have cool-looking models rather than having a really efficient list.