Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

First Space Marine Hawk Lords Army. Could use advice.
Old 17 Jul 2008, 05:25   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default First Space Marine Hawk Lords Army. Could use advice.

I am currently a novice to the Warhammer 40k game and have decided to go with the Space Marine as the first army I try out. The list I have written up is as follows:

HQ: Epistolary, Veil of Time, Terminator Armor, Storm Bolte=155

Master, Iron Halo, CCW and Bolt Pistol=102

Elites: 5 Terminators, 2x Assault Cannon=240

Dreadnought 105

Troops: Tactial Squad 10 Troops, 7 Boltguns, Missile Launcher, Plasma gun, Sarge with CCW and Bolt Pistol, Rhino with Smoke Launchers=223

Tactial Squad 10 Troops, 7 Boltguns, Missile Launcher, Meltagun, Sarge with CCW and Bolt Pistol, Rhino with Smoke Launchers=223

Scout Squad 5 Troops, 2x Sniper Rifles, Missle Launcher, 2 Boltguns=85

Heavy Support: Whirlwind=85

Predator Annihilator, Sponson mounted Heavy Bolters, Extra Armor=135

Fast Attack: Land Speeder Tornado with Assaulat Cannon=80

Land Speeder with Multi-melta=65

Total army cost=1498

Any ideas or modifications would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone for your help and good luck.
Old 17 Jul 2008, 05:35   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: First Space Marine Hawk Lords Army. Could use advice.

Welcome to TO and the Space Marine boards.

Just a little warning: could you remove the individual points? (i.e. Missile Launcher = 10 Points) The Mod's don't like it, but you can leave the subtotal points on.

Dark Adeptus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jul 2008, 06:42   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks for the tips. I fixed my original list up top.
Old 17 Jul 2008, 16:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Err, get rid of the ones on your first post, Kakashki didnt mean it because of the fact it was harder to read, its the forum rules, so if you delete your first post apart from the top bit, that would benefit you greatly. And also on the second post you have the base cost of the master and epistolary, which is also not allowed, only post the total points cost of the unit. Just a tip off so you dont get in trouble.

Now then, onto the list.
Epistolary, hes got a storm bolter and terminator armour, so in my eyes hes fairly good, but i'd give im a power fist if i were you, and also add him to the squad of terms for full effectiveness.

Master: He needs a power weapon! Whether it be a power weapon, power fist or lighning claw(s) it would turn what is at the moment a soldier with boosted stats and a halo made of out of refined haematite a proper killer.

Terms: As i said before, add the epistolary to this squad, other then that its a solid unit, maybe when/ if you go for 2000 points you could get a crusader, but its not needed.

Dreadnought: I take it its armed with an assualt cannon and a dreadnought cc weapon, which makes it a good anti everything vehicle, but dont waste it on rank and file soldiers too much, as he is only worth it against enemy light tanks and heavy infantry.

Tactical squads, can't go far wrong with tactical squads, but i think that melta guns are 5 pts cheaper then plasma guns, which would make the second squad 228pts, not 233, and if you can, give the sergeant a special weapon, for that extra kick in c/c.

Scouts: Im not sure if giving 2 of them bolters is such a good idea, as the majority of your weapons are long ranged and can't be used on the move, so you wont be getting in any fights, unless you position them in front of an enemy unit within charge range.

Whirlwind: good for when theres a lot of cover that you cant get line of sight through, but not so good when theres a lascannon pointed at it.

Predator: If the annihilator is the one with the lascannons on top, change the sponsons to lascannons too as the tank will be more effecitve if all its weapons can hit from 48 inches and are the best anti tank weps marines can get, but mixtures dont tend to work, anyway you need some more antin tank in your army.

Fast attack: these are both good for supporting units, but only that, so no heroic charges with guns blazing or the likes (unless its a suicide mission)

Its over all a farily good list, but what you need to do most is get playing some games and customise it from the out comes of those.

Remember what i said at the beggining of my post, it will help you a lot.

And welcome to Tau Online.

Cya, Mamba.
mamba21500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2008, 14:58   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

This list is ok, but it could be made better. I've got the feeling that the army has a disparity on speeds which will make it easy to take out piecemeal.

The Libby is good, but I'd switch out that Storm Bolter for a Combi-Plasma.

The Master's function is clearly to just give Rites of Battle so I'd take away the Iron Halo, and stick him in a squad. Give him a Storm Shield and Storm Bolter instead of Bolt Pistol and CCW.

The Termies are good for 4th Ed, but in 5th, that configuration is only meh. Stick in heavy flamers instead and they can accompany the Libby on a Deep Strike entry.

Not a fan of DreadNoughts myself - alway's felt that they were good for cheap anti-tank but had no real staying power and didn't do spectacularly in melee. I'd drop it for something else. Maybe more scouts?

The tactical squads. I wouldn't advise putting a meltagun and a Missile Launcher together. When the new Marine Dex comes out this'll be a decent setup, but now it's not. Drop one or the other, though I'd drop the Meltagun and change the Missile Launcher to a Lascannon.

Missile Launcher/Plasma Gun is a good combo.

Not a fan of whirlwinds myself. I used one a few times and it had a habit of getting popped in the first turn. If you decide to take it, I'd use the Castellan Missiles to slow enemy advances.

Drop the Predator Annihalator, you've plenty of Anti Tank, I'd change it to a Destructor to maximise anti-horde.

The Land Speeders are okay, but due to the Rending nerf, I'd switch them out for Attack Bikes with Heavy Bolters. Attack Bikes can use terrain more effectively, are very sturdy, and can Turbo Boost.

The Scouts sshould take a Teleport Homer if you want to change the Termies to a Termie Honour Guard to accompany the Libby. Then you can infiltrate the Scouts and have the Termies teleport in beside them. The Scouts setup beside an objective, the Termies come in to reinforce them, and that's an objective that'll be difficult to take!

http://www.travian.co.uk/?uc=uk1
RonanB1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jul 2008, 04:25   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Hey guys thanks for the advice. As of right now I added a Power weapon to the Master and to a Sarge and Im deciding on either a Lightning Claw or a Power fist for the other one as well. I added the Lascannon sponsons to the Predator and Im considering cutting the termies for a Space Marine Assault Squad with Sarge having a Power fist.
Old 22 Jul 2008, 19:49   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

After talking with the owner of my local Gamesworkshop store I put together a new list and might be considering trying it out. The current list is
HQ Master, Iron Halo, Power Weapon, Bolt Pistol=116
Troops Tac Squad 1 Sergeant and 9 troops, Missile and Plasma gun, Sarge with Honors and Power weapon, Rhine with smoke=248
tac Squad 1 Sergeant and 9 troops, Missile and Plasma Gun, Sarge with Honors and Power Fist=200

Fast Attack Land Speeder Squadron 1 with Multi-Melta and 2 with Tornado attachments=225
Assault Squad 1 Sergeant and 9 troops, Sarge with Honors and Power Fist, 2x Flamer=262
Assault Squad 1 Sergeant and 9 troops, Sarge with Honors and Pair of Lightning Claws, 2x Plasma Pistol=275

Heavy Support 2x Whirlwind=170

Total is 1496
The idea is to use the Whirlwinds and drop Castellan Barrages and hopefully use the mines as a way to make the enemy move into a position that would be most beneficial for you to assault from. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.