Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Black Templars 1500pts
Old 04 Jan 2008, 05:40   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Black Templars 1500pts

Hi

I have played with BT for a few games in a row now and thought I should post my latest list to get a few tips. I really like the look of the list but do you think it will work? I usually play against Tyranids and Eldars.

Castellan Power weapon, bolt pistol, artificer armour, iron halo, terminator honours and frag grenades. (142pts)

Emperor's Champion Accept any Challenge. (140pts)

Terminator Squad 6 Terminators. 2 assault cannons. (280pts)

Crusader Squad 10 Marines. Power weapon. Bolt pistols and close combat weapons. (170pts)

Crusader Squad 10 Marines. Power weapon. Bolt pistols and close combat weapons. (170pts)

Crusader Squad 10 Marines. Plasma gun, missile launcher. Bolters. (176pts)

Assault Squad 8 Marines. Power fist, flamer. (197pts)

Land Speeder Tornado Heavy bolter, assault cannon. (80pts)

Predator Annihilator Twin-linked lascannon, heavy bolters, extra armour. (135pts)

It's currently 10pts short. Anyway I will probably build my army like this but it would be great to get some comments on it and a little help on the way to the "perfect" crossover between cool and effective .

Thanks /Jepsor
Jepsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jan 2008, 06:33   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: Black Templars 1500pts

Overall, I liked the list. Just a few details I'd change, especially since I know what you are up against since I am the Eldar player and I know how pellwav will build his list against you ^^

I'd say you would have to shave of the cost on your Castellan. Remove the artificier armour, the terminator honours and upgrade him to a Marshal instead. Then I would rather take 2x5 marines with bolters than 1x10. This way you will get 2 heavy weapons. And then I know you won't like to hear this but dump the terminators :P , sry. They are way to expensive and way to few models. Take the points from that unit and spend them on another cc unit in a Rhino or something. Then you can take another Land Speeder.

The only important change is the terminators. The others is just a few small details.

But this is the way to play the Black Templars the cool way. But I you want to keep it fun to play you should look more to the (like you said) perfect crossover.
Old 04 Jan 2008, 06:48   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

haha sry m8, the terminators are so cool i don't care about their impact (or lack of) on any game

But splitting up the bolter squad sounds good, didn't think about it. Have thought about a rhino or two.

and btw, I decided to make the points cost of the Castellan close to the emperor's champion. Think it's a good guide line. But maybe that's just me..

Thanks! ;D
Old 04 Jan 2008, 07:20   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Ok i have updated the list now, ended at 1498pts. Actually liked this one better. The Rhino squad had to be downsized in order to make room for one of the HQ's.

Marshal Power weapon, bolt pistol, iron halo, terminator honours and frag grenades. (137pts)

Emperor's Champion Accept any Challenge. (140pts)

Terminator Squad 5 Terminators. 2 assault cannons. (240pts)

Crusader Squad 9 Marines. Power weapon. Bolt pistols and close combat weapons. Rhino with smoke launchers. (207pts)

Crusader Squad 5 Marines. Plasma gun, missile launcher. Bolters. (96pts)

Crusader Squad 5 Marines. Plasma gun, missile launcher. Bolters. (96pts)

Assault Squad 8 Marines. Power fist, flamer. (197pts)

Land Speeder Tornado Heavy bolter, assault cannon. (80pts)

Predator Annihilator Twin-linked lascannon, heavy bolters, extra armour. (135pts)

So people, any thoughts?
Old 05 Jan 2008, 01:26   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

The second list is improved. But there are still things you could do better.
Priority items:
Give the CC crusader squads powerfists and meltaguns. Let's you deal with wraithlords and tanks. And insta-kill ICs.
Drop the single rhino and make the squad 10 big again. Or put both squads in rhinos. Gotta go all or nothing here.

Other things to consider:
Upgrade missles to lascannons. better in almost everyway for just a few more points.
Give marshall a jump pack and up the size of the assault squad. This makes your marshall fast and mobile and with a unit that will support him well. I'd take a JP over terminator honors.
Speaking of assault marines I much prefer plasmapistols over flamers. Plasma lets you put wounds on big nasties and threaten vehicles. Flamers kill things that chainswords kill really well. If you expect alot of units that ignore your armor in CC (wraithlords, Banshees, harlies, spears) then I'd consider some combat shields. maybe 3-4.
Land speeder and predator. Both are decent units, but do much better in pairs. Singles they just tend to die alot. I'd go with one or the other for your fire support. And if you play eldar alot I would make it tornados.

I didn't mention termies becuase you made it clear they were staying. But be careful where you put them. All those units that ignore armor will rip them apart.