Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

2000 Ultrasmurfs
Old 31 Dec 2007, 13:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Commissar_Will
Default 2000 Ultrasmurfs

This is my Mk. 2 army list (spent too much on wargear in the first) for my 2000 points Ultramarine army. My usual opponent plays crisis-heavy Sa'cea, and is annoying good at JSJ. Well, here goes...

HQ: used to have a command squad, but they got dropped due to being a HUGE points sink. I usually attach the Force Commander to my Termies, or the close range tactical squad. Rather wargear heavy, but needs to be for when he's on his own after the rest of his squad have been torn to pieces.

1 Master
+lighting claw
+storm bolter
+artificer armour
+master crafted (lightning claw)
+purity seals
+iron halo

Elites: a Venerable Dread and some shooty Termies. The Dread has been equipped with a drop pod, so he won't get slagged by railguns (hopefully) before he gets into CC. Keeps all his standard weaponry - because who could say no to a free assault cannon? Besides, he needs to move about a lot. The Termies usually hop into their LRC to get them a little closer to enemy lines, then unleash Dakka on anyone in range, using their cyclone missiles and assault cannon to drop any tanks out of range of the rest of the force, or wound some pesky Crisis Suits. Once this has been acheived, they will hop back into the LRC and speed up to the enemy lines as fast as possible, providing a perfect distraction from my tactical squads...>

1 Dreadnought
+venerable
+smoke launchers
+drop pod

5 Terminators
+purity seals
+assault cannon
+cyclone missiles

Troops: Tactical squads all the way, baby! While everyone else rushes off to join the melee, these guys will sit around at the back and slowly pummel my opponents. The lascannon squad has one task - take out the Hammerhead. Once this is acheived, or once someone else has acheived it for them, they will focus their attention on crisis suits. The plasma cannon squad is tasked with eliminating any Pathfinders or Stealthsuits foolish enough to get within range. Once this is acheived, they will move into cover and take potshots at the Firewarriors. My dakka squad, complete with heavy bolter and plasma gun, has been ordered to deal with any Kroot or Vespid headed my way. If they are unfortunate enough to get into close combat, their tooled-up sergeant should be able to hold his own. I also chucked in some purity seals for good measure, as with such short ranged guns they don't want to be running away too far. I am also considering getting them a Rhino to give them some extra mobility and bring the points up to 2000, unless I settle on another Land Speeder Typhoon instead.

10 Tactical marines
+lascannon

10 Tactical marines
+plasma cannon

10 Tactical marines
+heavy bolter
+plasma gun
+terminator honours
+powerfist
+plasma pistol
+purity seal
+rhino+hunter-killer missile?

Fast Attack: most of the Fast Attack choices will probably die, if not all of them. This is a good thing. The purpose of the Assault squad is simple - tie up those infernal Firewarriors in close combat so they don't kill all of my troops! It is entirely possible that they will be shot up before they even get there, in which case they will simply serve as a distraction from my Tactical squads, which is no bad thing in itself, as without distractions there is no way you will win a shooting war with the Tau. In the unlikely event that they survive chewing through the Firewarriors in close combat, they will simply attack anything within range until they do die. The Land Speeders are not in the same squadron, because they both have entirely different roles. The Tornado will Deep Strike nice and close to the enemy, then unleash the true power of Dakka on either the crisis suits or enemy infantry. The Typhoon (or possibly Typhoons, I am considering getting another one instead of the Rhino for the Tactical squad) will sit back and pound Kroot and Vespid, and then Firewarriors if they are still alive after the Kroot and Vespid have been wiped out.

9 Assault marines
+2 flamers
+terminator honours
+powerfist
+plasma pistol
+purity
Total

Land Speeder Tornado (heavy bolter)
Land Speeder Typhoon (heavy bolter)
Land Speeder Typhoon (heavy bolter)?

Heavy Support: big guns time! My LRC's purpose is to ferry the Termies around. Once it has dropped them within shooting range it will open up full Dakka on enemy infantry, or hope that by forcing enough saves it might do some damage to the Crisis Suits. Plus it would be real swell if the multi-melta gets within Melta range, but that's not going to happen. Once this is done it will make a suicidal charge at the enemy lines, and will probably be vapourised in the process. Pity. However, if I do not invest in a Rhino for my Dakka-tastic Tactical squad, then I may force the Termies to Deep Strike (without the Force Commander of course) and give the LRC and my Force Commander to them instead of the Rhino. If this happens, then their job will be to use the mobility and firepower of the LRC to drop as many troops as possible, in close combat if necessary. I have also invested in a cheap-n-cheerful Whirlwind. I have called him Roger. Roger's role is to sit behind cover and do one of two things - either drop a load of Castellan mines to make life difficult for highly mobile Crisis Suits, or just use Vengeance missiles to pummel Pathfinders, Vespid, Kroot and Firewarriors, in that order. I am hoping that he will be out of sight of enemy guns for the entire battle, but just in case some naughty Crisis Suits manage to get a shot off from the side, I gave him some smoke launchers. Hell, they're only three points anyway.

Land Raider Crusader
+hunter-killer missile
+smoke launchers

Whirlwind
+smoke

Army total=1994pts(Rhino)/1999pts(Typhoon)

This list is far from perfect, and C&C is welcomed and urgently needed. Thanks in advance for your help!

My Space Marine project log
Commissar_Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Dec 2007, 13:47   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Esque
Default Re: 2000 Ultrasmurfs

Remove the individual points values before some moderator sees it. ONLY ever post total squad or character or vehicle costs, including everything you buy for them. Otherwise the forum would be full of everything the codexes has, and GW would close us. Edit asap! Those who will make comments knows the point costs and the codex.

Below is a better format!

Master
with
+lighting claw
+storm bolter
+artificer armour
+master crafted lightning claw
+purity seals
+iron halo

Total=170
Old 31 Dec 2007, 13:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Commissar_Will
Default Re: 2000 Ultrasmurfs

Phew, thanks for that Esque! Forgot about the points cost thing...

Anyway, any comments on the list?

My Space Marine project log
Commissar_Will is offline   Reply With Quote