Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1500pts deathwing list - hehe
Old 03 Dec 2007, 08:26   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default 1500pts deathwing list - hehe

i picked up my dark angels codex on friday - and a "cool" armylist leapt into my head.

i can see this list failing against so many opponents but it looks damned impressive on the table

HQ - Belial, master of the deathwing
- with lightning claws

HQ - Chaplain - 100pts

Troops - Deathwing terminator squad
- 4x lightning claws
- heavy flamer
- chainfist
- apothecary
- standard bearer

Troops - Deathwing terminator squad
- 4 x lightning claws
- heavy flamer
- chainfist

Heavy support - Land Raider crusader

Heavy support - Land Raider
- pintle storm bolter

Heavy support - Land Raider
- pintle storm bolter

cant remember exact points so i wont post any, but the list is 1500pts.

the two normal raiders are my anti-tank, the command squad plus belial/chaplain will be riding in the crusader (which will be for anti-infantry).
Old 03 Dec 2007, 11:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: 1500pts deathwing list - hehe

Only six real things I would do differently.

1. Take a second crusader. You aren't going to want to move either of the regular land raiders, and you don't want to deep strike the second unit. So essentially you are making them walk across the board. With a second crusader you would still be using the regular land raider as a pillbox and getting your second unit into close combat (which with the way you've set them up, you seem to want).

2. If you take my advice then when mounted add the chaplain to that unit. Also give him terminator armor (going to be roughly 130 to 140 points, can't remember...) That makes the army pure Death Wing, and makes that termie unit harder hitting.

3. Be very careful with those two units. While most armies at 1500 points aren't going to have a lot of anti tank, and with the land raiders having 14 all around armor, you still only have essentially 12 troops on the board. It won't take long to remove them from the game with shooting and close combat.

4. Don't take on too much. I know this is basically what I said in number three... but I don't think I can stress it enough in this case. 12 models in hth is okay, but if you take on a unit of say... 10 chaos marines, then their 10 buddies come up while you're locked in combat... thats pretty much game over.

5. The Apothecary is only really good against shooting. Once the unit he is in is locked in close combat he can no longer use his abilities, and with the way this army looks like it might be going, thats not a good thing. Granted if he saves one terminator the entire game he pretty much paid for himself...

6. On the other hand the standard bearer is going to be insanely good for this style of army. The extra attacks afforded to your unit and Belial will more than make up for the rather insignificant amount of help the apothecary will be.

Basically if your careful, and you do a flank attack approach (don't hit head on, instead roll his lines...) you could possibly do good. You will be outnumbered. And you will lose, a lot... But if you stick with it you will start seeing some improvement of your over all game. I know that since I started playing Death Wing all those years ago, I've gotten a lot better at other armies. Heck, if you can win with the Death Wing most of the other armies become basically point and click (I'm looking at you basic marines!)
Old 03 Dec 2007, 13:00   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

many thanks for the reply but it seems i forgot to mention my tactics (as they are ATM).

i play grey knights quite often so being outnumbered is not so daunting and i know when to pick and chose my assaults.

to be blunt - i am relying on the land raiders to deal the damage.

i diddnt think that 2 lascannons (plus the crusader goodies) was enough anti-tank to scare off things like hammerheads, falcons and other nasties that pack weapons i SERIOUSLY dont want on the field.
to that end, i went for the 2nd normal land raider, which should allow me to "damage" any 2 tanks my opponent may have. plus a normal raider can vaporise 5 guardsmen at long range as well

(that and i have SERIOUS issues keeping hurricane bolters together )

i plan on using the terminators just like grey knights. if i am against an assault army, they will hide behind the land raiders and counter charge once the enemy reach me (or if i feel like i cant win the fight i can re-mount and scarper).

against static or JSJ armies - i will mount belial, the command squad and chaplain in the crusader (the other deathwing squad in a standard land raider) and do the basic 12" move, smokes, next turn 12" move and assault.

in the main, this is a competetive army. the terminators will probably be a last turn charge unit or be hiding just behind an objective.

plus i thought having 12 men was cool
Old 03 Dec 2007, 21:23   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Lowerlife

looking at the army i would have too say to take out the land raiders and get more troops or keep one land raider to move up the generals squad and get another 2 termie squads so that two squads can deathwing assault then the landraider comes in transporting the 3rd squad while the 4th squad can be a somewhat firebase that can move up in cover and shoot with assault cannon and storm bolters.. this gives you 10 more bodies to work withand a more deathwing infantry feel. also the chappy should have terminator armor which can be afforded by taking out one land raider. just my feel on things

Eidt by JD: I dunno how you managed to read it after the changes FT
Edit by AC: JD you've spelt edit incorrectly...
Edit by WG: I just wanted to be part of the moment.
someones got bad spelling
Lowerlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Dec 2007, 07:38   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerlife
just my feel on things
completely understood.

i just like land raiders :P

this may be a "competetive" army, but it is more for showcase than playing i think (though once i get the rest of the models - 2 land raiders and belial - it will be my main army for a while).

not sure on how to model belial......

i'm damned sure the veteran sprue has the bits to make him but is there a cheap way of getting one (plus does it have the deathwing shoulder pads)
Old 04 Dec 2007, 11:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Unfortunately there is no easy way to make Belial. I personally used Lysander with a pair of lightning claws from the assault terminators box set. You're also going to have a fun time getting the heavy flamers, if you haven't already. You're best bet would probably be to order bits from an online source like the warstore.

There are Deathwing shoulder pads on the veteran dark angel sprue. But there are only three, and only one of them truly looks like the Death Wing symbol (though you will have to paint the wings as its only the broken sword).

With you taking Heavy flamers in your units I'm a little surprised that you aren't Death Wing assaulting. I'm thinking you might want to go with a couple of storm bolter guys and deep strike. Or you could go with 2 shooty units. Take a missile launcher per squad, give them all storm bolters and keep them by the land raiders. This will also allow you to take all three land raiders instead of two raiders and a crusader (more anti-tank goodness). Just some ideas for you.
Old 05 Dec 2007, 08:53   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

i had loads of ideas running through my head and when i put this list together - i had 10pts spare and no special weapons in my termi squads - ergo i went for heavy flamers (plus i think they're cool )

though with a bit of a re-think, i will swap one of the land raiders for a crusader as you first suggested.

plus i already have a crusader with dark angel doors (from my ravenwing sprues) that i havent even painted - it is just gathering dust ATM and i wanted to use it (otherwise i would normally vote for all standard raiders)

i might "sacrifice" one of my techamarine conversions to make belial - he has lightning claws and terminator armour (metal termi captain model) AND is painted deathwing colours. problem is that he has most of his back sawn off to fit a full servo harness :

and reference the heavy flamers - i scraped 1 spare from my bits box so far - i'm sure i've got more.