[BatRep] From the Skies They Came
Old 21 Nov 2007, 04:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default [BatRep] From the Skies They Came

From the Skies They Came

Battle 1: The Despoiler

Introduction

Alright so tonight I tried out my "new" Space Wolf army. It's technically a retro fitted 13th Company force that I've modified to normal Space Wolves and crammed into half a dozen Drop Pods, the 2000pt List was roughly as follows:

Stormblade Great Company

HQ:

Wolf Lord
-Rune Armor, Master Crafted Frost Blade, Wolf Pelt, Wolf Tooth Necklace, Wolf Tail Talisman, Bolt Pistol, Belt of Russ
Wolf Guard Bodyguard (5)
-Power Weapon, Power Fist, BP & CCWs, frag and kraks
Drop Pod

Wolf Priest
-Bolt Pistol, Wolf Pelt, Wolf Tooth Necklace, Wolf Tail Talisman, Healing Herbs and Balms
Wolf Guard Bodyguard (5)
-Power Fist x2, BP & CCWs, frags and kraks
Drop Pod

Rune Priest
-Plasma Pistol, Wolf Pelt, Wolf Tooth Necklace, Wolf Tail Talisman, Familiar, Rune Weapon

Troops:

Grey Hunters Pack (10)
-Wolf Guard Pack Leader (BP, Power Weapon), Power Fist, Melta Gun, Bolters & CCWs
Drop Pod

Grey Hunters Pack (10)
-Wolf Guard Pack Leader (BP, Power Fist), Melta Gun, Bolters & CCWs
Drop Pod

Grey Hunters Pack (8 )
-Power Fist, Plasma Gun, Bolters & CCWs
Drop Pod

Grey Hunters Pack (8 )
Drop Pod

Heavy Support:

Long Fangs
-Lascannon x2, Heavy Bolter x2, Power Weapon

My opponents army was a Chaos conglomerate type... thing, roughly the following:

Black Legion Warband

Abaddon the Despoiler and Retinue of Chosen (5)
-All with Pairs of Lightning Claws

Land Raider

Noise Marines (6)
-Noise Blaster, thingy

Obliterators (3)

Khorn Berserkers Squad (10)
-Champion with Power Fist, 2 Plasma Pistols
Rhino APC

Khorn Berserkers Squad (10)
-Champion with Power Fist, 2 Plasma Pistols
Rhino APC

3 Chaos Space Marine Bikers
-Champion with Power Fist and Plasma Pistol

Mission Briefing

At 04:00 hours the forces of Abaddon the despoiler launched a series of assaults on the Space Wolf lines. With the forces of Logan Grimnar stretched to breaking point, the forces of Chaos were cloes to breaking through the Imperial Lines. As no less than four Great Companies became in danger of routing the Great Company of Silvar Stormblade arrived in orbit aboard the Battle Barge the Rampant Wolf, blasting through the blockade of chaos warships to launch a storm of Drop Pods. Burning their way through the atmosphere of Cadia detatchments of the Stormblade Great Company rocketed to the surface towards the very center of the heaviest fighting.

Terrain

The Terrain pretty much mattered not at all in this game except the bunker I placed one of my squads in. Other than that... not so much. A few scattering of hills and stuff, but not much else.

Deployment

The Noise Marines went towards my right flank, with the Obliterators to their left on a hill. The Land Raider went right across from my defencive bunker and a rhino went on each side of it. The Bikes went to the right of the Land Raider.

My Long Fangs went into a bunker on my left flank and the Rune Priest went on the lower floor of the bunker. The rest were of course set to Deep Strike.

Wolf Lord Silvar Stormblade checked his chronometer as he hurtled towards the planets surface in the armored shell of the Drop Pod.

"Impact in two minutes!" He roared to his Wolf Guard, who slammed fists against their chest plates in acknowledgement. The forces of Chaos had come calling and the Space Wolves would make them regret the day they had dared to challenge the Space Wolves.

Turn 1:

Black Legion
-The Land Raider and Rhinos Moved forward 6 inches, the Bikes turbo boosted and the Obliterators and Noise Marines fired on the Long Fangs but failed to do any damage.

Space Wolves
-Long Fangs opened up, doing no actual damage to the Land Raider or Rhinos.

Turn 2:

Black Legion
-Land Raider and Rhinos continued forward, bikes moved 12" towards bunkerand fired on the Long Fangs but failed to do any damage.

Space Wolves
-3 of the Drop Pods arrived, the Wolf Priest's Drop Pod and both Plasma Grey Hunter Squads. Two arrived to the right of the Land Raider, one to the left and both behind it. The Wolf Guard and one Grey Hunter squad opened up on the left Rhino destroying it. The Second Grey Hunter squad fired on the right Rhino, destroying that too, and the Long Fangs managed to toast the Raider. All told 6 Berserkers died in the aftermath of the explosions and gunfire from the Drop Pods, a Chosen died in the Land Raider's penetrating explosion result and the Heavy Bolters downed two of the Bikers. The Rune Priests Plasma Pistol downed the Champion.

Turn 3:

Black Legion
-The Obliterators managed to kill 4 Grey Hunters and the Noise Marines dropped a Long Fang heavy bolter marine.

Space Wolves
-The remaining 3 Drop Pod arrived, crashing into the battle on the right of the destroyed Land Raider, shielding the fighting from the Obliterators and the Noise Marines. The Grey Hunters and Wolf Guard fired on the chosen of Abaddon killing two more, and the Long Fangs dropped another, leaving just Abaddon and one chosen. The Other Two Grey Hunter squads and the Wolf Priest and retinue charged the Berserkers, the left squad was wiped out, the right cut down to three berserkers to three total Space Wolf cassualties. Rune Priest left the Long Fangs to their own devices and started moving towards the fight.

Lord Stormblade Watched as the Great Despoiler tore into his warriors and let forth a feral howl of frustration and anger. Nevertheless he could not rush off like a Blood Claw and instead came up with a plan.

++Space Wolves identify yourselves++ He voxed to the Long Fangs and the Rune Priest he saw in the defensive bunker on his way down.

++This is Rune Priest Mjornal Oath Keeper, and Long Fang pack Aarkmund, what can we do for you Wolf Lord.++

++I could use some cover, a storm in multiple senses.++ Silvar replied.

++We won't let you down Lord Stormblade++

Turn 4:

Black Legion
-Abaddon and remaining Chosen charged a Grey Hunter squad, killing six of them. Obliterators and Noise Marines moved to get a better view.

Space Wolves
-Rune Priest cast storm caller on Wolf Lord Stormblade and his Wolf Guard, but took a wound due to perils of the warp in doing so. Stormblade and the second newly arrived Grey Hunter Pack charged into combat. The Wolf Priest and the remaining Grey Hunter squad on the left re-grouped and moved towards the obliterator. Combat saw Wolf Lord Stormblade throw himself into the fray and carve Abaddon into a bloody pulp. The Wolf Guard easily dispatched the remaining Chosen to no cassualties. All 3 squads re-grouped and moved up to their Drop Pods, taking cover to move on the Obliterator and Noise Mairnes.

Turn 5:

Black Legion
-The last Obliterator fired on the Wolf Priest and his bodyguard, getting lucky and bringing down the entire bodyguard. Noise Marines re-positioned ontop of a hill.

Space Wolves
-Long Fangs fired on the Noise Marines and downed 3 of them. Wolf Priest moved toward the obliterator as well as three Grey Hunter Packs, shooting saw the last Obliterator stick around, but then Wolf Priest Greimund charged the Obliterator and carved it apart. The 4 Marine squad that had taken a pounding from Abaddon charged the Noise Marines and cut them all down to no return cassualties.

End Game- Victory to the Space Wolves

Conclusion

With my opponent's army butchered the game went rather well I think. The Drop Pods came down in two nice groups and that helped quite a bit, but all in all for the first run of my Space Wolves it was a pretty good scrap, Abaddon had me worried, to see my opponent putting such an expencive unit into a Land Raider seemed beyond foolish, I had thought he might have had a trick up his sleeve, but true to noobish form he was just throwing the baddest motha trucka he could into the biggest tank he could. His expression when my Wolf Lord stomped Abaddon into the dirt was quite amusing.

Wolf Lord Stormblade kicked the body off of his blade, the chainblades sending a spray of foul ichor into the air as they came free. The Chaos Marine fell to the ground in a heap, the putrid symbols of slaanesh covered in blood.

"My Lord!" Came a call from down the hill, towards where the Drop Pods still sat steaming from their entry. Silvar turned to see the Rune Priest, Mjornal and the Long Fang Pack Leader Aarkmund walking up the hill to join him.

"You have our thanks Lord Stormblade," The Long Fang said with a bow of his head. "We could not have held the chaos worshippers off much longer."

"We were not about to let the Chaos scum get their way," Silvar responded giving his fellow Wolves a salute of respect.

"It's a shame about the Despoiler though, for a second there I thought you had him," Mjornal said looking back to where the Chaos Land Raider lay in fragments.

"So did I, but he teleported away at the last second, as my blade carved through his chest plate he wavered and I was thrown back. When I stood he had vanished," Silvar said with a growl, activating his Frost Blade for a split second to echo his growl.

"In any case whatever the Chaos Worshippers were after they have failed and our cassualties could have been much worse, this day shall be toasted in the Fang for decades to come!" Proclaimed Aarkmund.

"We can only hope so, in any case we must regroup and find out how best we can serve Lord Grimnar, lets move!"

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Nov 2007, 04:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: [BatRep] From the Skies They Came

Battle 2: Hidden Heretics

Introduction

After eating a quick meal of chinese (always a menu around where gamers congregate I notice ), I got to playing a Space Marine Army that was quite unusual. The game was 1500pts this time and the lists were as follows:

Stormblade Great Company

HQ:

Wolf Lord
-Rune Armor, Master Crafted Frost Blade, Wolf Pelt, Wolf Tooth Necklace, Wolf Tail Talisman, Bolt Pistol, Belt of Russ
Wolf Guard Bodyguard (5)
-Power Weapon, Power Fist, BP & CCWs, frag and kraks
Drop Pod

Wolf Priest
-Bolt Pistol, Wolf Pelt, Wolf Tooth Necklace, Wolf Tail Talisman, Healing Herbs and Balms
Wolf Guard Bodyguard (5)
-Power Fist x2, BP & CCWs, frags and kraks
Drop Pod

Troops:

Grey Hunters Pack (10)
-Wolf Guard Pack Leader (BP, Power Weapon), Power Fist, Melta Gun, Bolters & CCWs
Drop Pod

Grey Hunters Pack (8 )
-Wolf Guard Pack Leader (BP, Power Fist), Melta Gun, Bolters & CCWs
Drop Pod

Grey Hunters Pack (8 )
Drop Pod

Imperial Hammers 3rd Company

Heed the Wisdom of the Ancients, Honor your Wargear, Flesh Over Steel

HQ:

Captain
-Bolter, CCW

Elites:

6 Devastator Marines
-4 Missile Launchers, Tank Hunters

Venerable Dreadnaught
-Assault Cannon, DCCW

Venerable Dreadnaught
-Assault Cannon, DCCW

Troops:

10 Tactical Marines
-Plasma Gun

10 Tactical Marines
-Plasma Gun

8 Tactical Marines
-Plasma Gun, Plasma Cannon

5 Scouts
-CCWs & BPs

8 Scouts
-Sniper Rifles

Heavy Support:

Venerable Dreadnaught
-Assault Cannon, DCCW

Dreadnaught
-Assault Cannon, DCCW

Dreadnaught
-Assault Cannon, DCCW

Terrain

The Terrain was almost the same as last time, with a bunker in the left of my Deployment zone, a large hill in the upper left of the map. A ruined tower and columnade on the right upper corner, and a few hills scattered about with one towards the middle and left of the ruins and a small trench near the upper left.

Deployment

The three Venerable Dreadnaughts went right in the middle of his DZ with one of the normal ones on each flank. The Sniper Scouts went into the ruined tower on the right and the Plasma Cannon tac squad into the columns. The other two Tac Squads flanked the Dreadnaughts and the Devs went into the trench, the Captains tayed with the Plasma Cannon Squad. The CC scouts went into a hilly wood to the left of the ruins and towards the center of the board. My deployment was nill.

"Sir, why are we landing here, I thought the area was secure?" Asked Wolf Guard Hoargeld, turning to his Lord.

"Apparently it was, until a company of the Imperial Hammers chapter went rogue, our report says that they uncovered some kind of chaos artifact and fell under it's sway," Lord Silvar replied.

"That doesn't make any sense, didn't that company include three Venerable Dreadnaughts?" Hoargeld pressed. "Surely so many ancients would not be fooled so easily."

"Apparently they were the ones who turned first, whatever Chaos power was at work effected their ancient and strained minds the worst and they turned on their brethren till the survivors rallied to them," Silvar answered. "At least that's what the few survivors of the Cadian 212 said when we interrogated them."

"Then we shall make the traitors pay," Said Wolf Guard Torrick, his Power Fist crackling with energy as he spoke.

"Indeed we shall lad, indeed we shall," Silvar answered as the Drop Pods hurtled towards the ground.

Turn 1:

Imperial Hammers
-I won the roll for first turn and very cruelly let him go first. The Dreads and 10 Man tac squads marched forwards.

Space Wolves
-We're playing poker in the Drop Pods at the moment.

Turn 2:

Imperial Hammers
-Again the Dreads and two tac squads marched forwards, why beats me.

Space Wolves
-The Plasma Gun Grey Hunter Squad arrived but no others and I brought it crashing down to the right of the ruined columnade, jumping out behind the Drop Pod as cover the Grey Hunters let rip on the Plasma Cannon Squad and tried to stay as spread out as possible. Two marines of the Imperial Hammers fell.

Turn 3:

Imperial Hammers
-The Plasma Cannon fired on the Grey Hunters and dropped two of them, but the rest of the force spent itself trying to turn to face the threat.

Space Wolves
-One of the Melta Grey Hunter squads arrived and landed diagonally down and to the left of the first Drop Pod, blocking view from the majority of the Imperial Hammers the squad let rip on the nearby Dreadnaught, stunning it and immobolizing it. The Plasma Grey Hunters charged the Plasma Cannon Tac squad, the Power Fist Grey Hunter easily crunched the Imperial Hammers captain and another of the enemy marines fell. The enemy failed it's morale check but was cought and combat resumed.

Turn 4:

Imperial Hammers
-The majority of the army held positions, the Devastators fired on the second Drop Pod managing to display poor marksmanship and little more, the rest of the enemy fire did nothing and in combat 1 Grey Hunter fell and 3 enemies died to Power Fist smashing.

Space Wolves
-Wolf Lord Stormblade and the last Grey Hunter squad decided to show up this time and crashed on the opposite flank of the enemy, behind the other flanking Dread, who the Grey Hunters managed to blow up spectacularly, while both the Wolf Guard pack and the Grey Hunters stayed shielded from the nearby enemy Tactical and Devastator Squads.

Turn 5:

Imperial Hammers
-The Venerable dreads turned towards the newest threat and fired but managed to do nothing. The right Tactical Squad and the cc scouts moved towards the melta Grey Hunters and managaed to shoot down one. In close combat no cassualties were had on either side to my frustration. One Venerable Dread had moved to the right but failed to see anything.

Space Wolves
-Wolf Priest Greimund finally arrived and landed dead center of the battlefield, right behind two of the Venerable Dreadnaughts, so he decided to shoot at the nearby dread and did manage to blow it's cc arm off. The Wolf Guard under Lord Stormblade moved out and assaulted the Devastators and the Grey Hunters on the left charged the Tactical Squad. The Grey Hunters suffered one cassualty and killed five enemies, while Lord Silvar wiped out his target and consolidated into the combat with the Tac squad. The Grey Hunters on the right charged into a fight with the right Tactical Squad and started tearing them apart. The Plasma Grey Hunter squad finally finished their foe and consolidated towards the combat with the Tac squad and managed to get into it.

Turn 6:

Imperial Hammers
-One Venerable Dread marched around the Drop Pods to shoot at and then charge the Wolf Guard under Wolf Priest Greimund but killed only one and was destroyed in return. The other Venerable Dread not engaged charged the combat on the left and took a Power Fist to the head that broke off it's cc arm killing one Grey Hunter in return. The Scouts charged the CC on the right. One Tac Marine survived the fight on the right and managed to break away. The now unengaged Plasma Grey Hunter squad consolidated towards the Sniper Scouts. The two damaged Dreads fired on the Drop Pods but did nothing.

Space Wolves
-Greimund joined the combat with the Venerable Dread on the left and it was busted, and the Tacs on the left all died. The CC scouts were finished off and the Grey Hunters there consolidated into the damaged dread on their left, while the other squad blew up the immobolised dread on the right. The Plasma Marine rallied and killed 2 Grey Hunters remarkably, the Sniper Scouts did nothing.

Turn 7:

Imperial Hammers
-My opponent wanted to fight it out so we did. The Sniper Scouts couldn't stop the Grey Hunters and the remaining Dreadnaught was busted killing no Grey Hunters, the Plasma Marine ran and hid behind the Columnade.

Space Wolves
-Most of my warriors either stood around slapping backs or got out of the way, the Plasma Grey Hunter squad charged the Sniper Scouts taking 1 cassualty and sent them packing and kept following them as they ran.

End Game- Victory to the Space Wolves

The last enemy Tactical Marine fell to his knees and tried to plead for his life, his blood stained armor cracked and broken and his eyes gleaming with the stuff of chaos. Silvar Stormblade clove the man in two and spit on his remains, baring his fangs in a loud howl of victory. The fight had been good, the Space Wolves had sent their enemies reeling and tore them apart piecemeal, the unorganised Chaos Worshippers had died to a man, even now the last of the enemy scouts were being executed nearby, he could hear the screams as the bolt shells tore into flesh. Within moments the Grey Hunters re-appeared from arround the ruins.

"The day is ours Sons of Fenris, rejoice for the minions of chaos have been defeated!" Roared Silvar to the cheers of his warriors and their howls of victory.

Concluding Thoughts

My first opponent had a very noobish chaos force that I had been expecting to see with the release of the new chaos codex but it was still rather amusing to see Abaddon get sliced apart. My second opponent was more seasoned but still made a lot of rather strange choices and mistakes, for instance the sheer lack of any close combat ability in his squads and officers. Even a few power weapons scattered around would have made my time much more difficult. Especially if he hadn't spread out so much. His wide spread formation allowed me to safely bring in my pods to cut off segments of his army and slaughter them before moving onto the rest once my troops were again mobile.

But for my first games playing Space Wovles and my first battle against the new Chaos codex, my first battle against a Heed the Wisdom of the Ancients army, and my first battles using Drop Pods, they worked out very well I think. Very well indeed.

Old 21 Nov 2007, 14:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

looks good. i like the drednaught on tracks. looks cool
Old 21 Nov 2007, 18:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to pettsy

Hey,

First off congratulations on the wins. Second, awesome reports as always.

How difficult is Abbadon to slay? Never played against him before but I've heard alot of horror stories about him.

~Pettsy~

"It matters not what form my enemy takes, I will slay him all the same" - Grand Master Daedelus

We are ever-living, our spirit is immortal, and long after the last of our people crumbles to dust we shall still live on. For we are the Asur and for as long as there is light then we will shine!
pettsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Nov 2007, 01:02   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pettsy
Hey,

First off congratulations on the wins. Second, awesome reports as always.

How difficult is Abbadon to slay? Never played against him before but I've heard alot of horror stories about him.

~Pettsy~
I6 or 7, like 4 or 5 +D6 attacks, str 8 initiative order lightning claws... tougher than marines, Iron Halo inv save, and immune to instant death. Yea he's friggin nuts, you just gotta know how to take him out the right way, such as using Storm Caller or cover to whoop him before he gets to strike.

Old 22 Nov 2007, 01:54   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

Congrats on the wins. Are you the guy in the hat? or was that your opponent?

I like those Drop Pods, how did you go about making them?
Old 22 Nov 2007, 14:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arguleon-veq
Congrats on the wins. Are you the guy in the hat? or was that your opponent?

I like those Drop Pods, how did you go about making them?
Thanks, I am the guy in the hat, twas my roommates idea.

As for the drop pods their just cardboard cut outs using a template I got off a GW site several years ago and saved. I used just the basic design features of the pods and didn't put on all the detail stuff but they look a lot better than plastic cups. Hopefully Ill get around to spraying them grey and painting on my Great Company symbol soon.

Old 22 Nov 2007, 14:40   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to pettsy

Hey,

Any chance you can post a link to where you got the templates from? Or if not any chance you could send me the templates? I want to add a few Drop Pods to my Imperial Fists.

~Pettsy~

"It matters not what form my enemy takes, I will slay him all the same" - Grand Master Daedelus

We are ever-living, our spirit is immortal, and long after the last of our people crumbles to dust we shall still live on. For we are the Asur and for as long as there is light then we will shine!
pettsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Nov 2007, 14:52   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Seems you had fun! :funny:

Your opponents did seem to make some odd choices. I reckon I could have given you a better game with... no, not with the Chaos List, that was just crap, but the Marine list I definately could have worked with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Nov 2007, 15:29   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Nice job, i always enjoyed your battle reports.