Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1500 mech list with 4 techmarines!
Old 17 Nov 2007, 16:28   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default 1500 mech list with 4 techmarines!

Ok so this is my current list, I have 48 points left over but that isn't enough for another melta-landspeeder. :'(

Scions of mars, cleanse and purify, aspire to glory, have pride in your colours.

HQ: Techmarine-full servo-harness-bolt pistol-frag grenades-combat shield-master crafted power weapon-bionics-2 gun servitors-heavy bolters-2 tech servitors=217
-Razorback-extra armour-smoke launchers-searchlight=79

ELITES: techmarine-full servo-harness-jump pack-bionics=125

ELITES: techmarine

ELITES: techmarine

TROOPS: 5 tactical marines-2 plasma guns=100
-Razorback-extra armour-smoke launchers-searchlight=79

TROOPS: 5 tactical marines-2 plasma guns=100
-Razorback-Lascannon-extra armour-smoke launchers-searchlight=99

FA: 5 assault marines-2 flamers-veteran sergeant-combi-flamer-bionics=147

FA: land speeder-multi-melta=65

HS: Vindicator-extra armour-smoke launchers-storm bolter-dozer blade-power of the machine spirit=178

HS: Predator destructor-heavy bolters-extra armour-smoke launchers-storm bolter-dozer blade=133

The idea is that the jump-pack techmarine flies with the assault squad, and uses 4 flamers to burn things outs of cover. The two cheap techmarines act as squad sergeants, but with auspex, power weapon, servo-arm attack, fixing capability (although unlikely) and an extra wound. The best thing about them is that their signum means I can re-roll a couple of misses for the plasma guns, and greatly increase their lifespan.

Bear in mind this is meant to be quite fluffy, as the Red Talons will be a second founding chapter of the iron hands; C & C welcome!
Tomathus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2007, 18:16   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: 1500 mech list with 4 techmarines!

1500 points and you have 15 marines, 4 servitors and 4 techmarines?!! And not alot of hard armor, either.
It might be fluffy, but it has alot of weaknesses on the table. The most notable of which is that there isn't much to kill. And while you have 7 scoring units it is not hard to get them below half and/or dead.
Truthfully, have you considered making this with the DA list? Just about all your major units are much cheaper; Razorbacks, preds, MM land speeder, 5 man combat squads.

In the meantime let's see what we got...
First of all, what is your plan of attack? You have a mix of some long range firepwoer, some short range and some assaulty. The idea of having a 5 man assault squad charge ahead forward is just Free VPs to the bad guys. If a list cannot deal with 5 marines and a techmarine then they deserve to be beaten. So the small assault squad doesn't have the firepower to do much damage. then the razorback squads arrive. I am assuming you plan on doing drivebys with them. They get out and you have a few bolter shots and some plasma. That will do some damage, but in a 1500 point game you might kill off a squad. Then you get shot and/or assaulted. 10 marines even with techmarines as vet sgts are not going to last long.
In the meantime there anti-tank is going to pick apart your vehicles. You don't have alot of anti-tank so are going to lose this battle as well.

What I would suggest is making this a more dedicated shooty army and give them a nice counter assault element. Get some las/plas squads or a couple large 8-10 man squads. Back them up with maybe a couple of techmarines. make the assault squad 8-10 strong and one of the techmarines can join them. Perhaps the other techmarine can have a shooty servitor retinue.

Razorbacks in the basic marine codex are too expensive. I'd probably just add a second predator. The MM land speeder is also costly. and for a mere 15 points you can get a tornado which is better is just about every way.
Old 18 Nov 2007, 09:48   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

thanks for the feedback, but i'm afraid i don't have or know much about the DA list sorry.

Ive revised the list a bit and come up with this:

I took out the jump pack techmarine, the assault squad, two storm bolter on the tanks and the landspeeder.

Then I used the points to get a third (identical) tactical squad with bare bones techmarine. But I still have about 240 points left over.

I could spend this on:

1) devastator squad w 4 missile launchers in a razorback.

2) predator annhilator with lascannons and a tornado.

3) 5 assault marines w power fist sergeant and a tornado.

At the moment i'm leaning more toward the devastator squad because they are the most flexible, but I would probably need the counter-assault of the assault squad.

Any thoughts?
Old 18 Nov 2007, 19:59   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I don't usually like to leave negative posts but i can't help it here. I know you're trying to do something different and give your army some individuality but this is a bit much. It's a power gaming army, pure and simple. Get some more troops my friend. Most of the missions in 40k are about capturing objectives and you need bodies to do that! You can be different but still have a reasonably balanced list as well!

bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2007, 21:39   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

What do you suggest I do then? I really don't want to branded as a powergamer, but I love the fluffy ideas behind this list too much. :'( Is there any way to use the last points to make it a bit more balanced?
Old 19 Nov 2007, 01:11   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenose
I don't usually like to leave negative posts but i can't help it here. I know you're trying to do something different and give your army some individuality but this is a bit much. It's a power gaming army, pure and simple. Get some more troops my friend. Most of the missions in 40k are about capturing objectives and you need bodies to do that! You can be different but still have a reasonably balanced list as well!
I wouldn't call it powergaming. techmarines are not that cool and the rest of the units are not that tough. I do agree that more troops are needed. Dropping 5 assault marines to add 5 regular marines is not that great. And you dropped your best counter assault. Now there is pretty much none.
The list has alot of techmarines and alot of tanks. If that is what the OP wants then he got it. But as a balanced optimised take all comers list it is definately lacking.
Old 19 Nov 2007, 17:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomathus
What do you suggest I do then? I really don't want to branded as a powergamer, but I love the fluffy ideas behind this list too much. :'( Is there any way to use the last points to make it a bit more balanced?
Everybody has there favourite units for there own reason. But you need to try and limit them if your army is unbalanced. What i suggest is that you choose 500 points of your own "must haves" and then use the other 1000 to balance your army and make it a fighting force. Compromise with what you "want" and what you "need". The only way to get a near perfect army is to play and find which units work best for you. And even then it won't be fool proof! Just because I'm saying your army looks unbalanced, this doesn't mean that you wouldn't KICK MY ASS! Try what i suggested and see what you come up with.

Old 19 Nov 2007, 19:54   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Just a very rough list, i haven't got the dex to hand but I'll have a go anyway. Also i dunno what your traits do either.

Troops 1; 10 marines, Serg term hon and power fist, 2 special weapons (your choice) Rhino, extra armour and smoke 260 ish.

Troops 2; 10 marines, Serg term hon and power fist, 2 special weapons (your choice) Rhino, extra armour and smoke 260 ish.

Troops 3 or Vets 1; 6 marines, plasgun, lascann (if you take vets you can give these tank hunters etc) 133 points MOST (if you take them as vets)

Troops 4 or vets 2; 6 marines, plasgun, lascann (as above) 133 points most.

Fast attack 1; 8 assault marines, serg term hon and power fist, 2 special weapons (your choice) 220 ish

1000 ish points total

OK, I'm not trying to pick your army for you but something similar to this will give you a rock steady start, you've got assault, fire support/heavy and most importantly... BODIES! This army is mobile, and you can use the other 500 points to blow on whatever you want cos you've got approx 40 troops already!

If you wanna go more mech you can add 3 super speeders (tornado's) for 240 (i think) MAX or you can add heavy tanks or dreads and this'll still leave you enough points (i think) for something like your original HQ choice

Again, these are only ideas. I'd love to see your final list

Old 19 Nov 2007, 20:05   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

thanks for the help, the real problem is, i'm so taken with the idea of a cheap fluffy techmarine per squad, that I find it difficult to envisage the army any other way. :

Considering how your list is different to mine, what if I changed the fixing iron father to a jump pack monster, then put him with the assault marines. Then if I stripped down the pred and vindicator a bit I should have enough for another tactical squad.

Any good? ???
Old 19 Nov 2007, 20:10   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Like i said, it's your list. Just try it and see how it goes. If one thing's for sure though, it's that numbers count in the end. You need men! Try the list that you come up with and let us know how you've got on