Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

We have our heading! 1500pts of Stonecutters gearing up for a tourney!
Old 06 Oct 2007, 15:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default We have our heading! 1500pts of Stonecutters gearing up for a tourney!

OK. As some of you may know I will be attending Astronomi-con at the end of the month with my stonecutters. I think I may have FINALLY come up with an army list I'm comfortable with. There are still a few things I'm deciding on, but they're pretty minor. So here we go.

Advantages: Cleanse and Purify, Trust your Battle Brothers
Drawbacks: Eye to Eye, Faithful Unto Death

[HQ]

HQ 1: Captain Syzslack and command squad: 310pts
- Terminator Armour, Storm Bolter, Power Weapon. Terminator Command squad with 2 assault cannons and chainfist

My robed termies are in! Can bolster the line or deep strike as needed. Good firepower and CC ability. Chainfist's are just too cool to leave out, plus it'll help if the assault cannons don't do their job. Just watch out for plasma ;D

[hr]

[trOOPS]

Troops 1: 8 Tactical Marines: 169pts
- True Grit Skill, Bolters, CCWs, Plasma Gun, Lascannon.

Troops 2: 8 Tactical Marines: 169pts
- True Grit Skill, Bolters, CCWs, Plasma Gun, Lascannon.

Lascannon/Plasma to deal with tanks and monstrous creatures, 8 men and true grit so they can handle themselves against light assaults

Troops 3: 8 Tactical Marines: 229pts
- True Grit Skill, Bolters, CCWs, 2 Plasma Guns, Vet Sarge with Power Fist. Mounted in Drop Pod

Drop on in and blow em away! If I manage to get in cover on my initial drop these guys will be one tough thorn to remove from the side. Make way for Willy! (the sergeant looks like groundskeeper willy)

[hr]

[FAST ATTACK]

Fast Attack 1: 8 Assault Marines: 216 OR 221pts
- Vet Sarge with Power Fist and teleport homer. 1 or 2 plasma pistols

Fast Attack 2: Land Speeder (maybe a Tornado): 65 OR 75pts
- Multi Melta, maybe a Heavy Flamer

I'm not 100% sure how I'll run these two yet. If the assault squad only takes 1 plasma pistol, then the Speeder gets upgraded to a Tornado (and gets a heavy flamer). If the squad takes 2 pistols then the speeder is just any annoying melta gnat. Yeah I know I could take it as the assault cannon/heavy bolter variant if I really wanted to, but 1) I think I have sufficient dakka in the list, 2) I like the melta's tank hunting ability and 3) everyone takes the darn AC/HB speeder. About the heavy flamer, it's a bit of a mismatch with the multi melta, but I get the feeling it may come in handy if I have to deal with a bunch of eldar pathfinders or something

[hr]

[HEAVY SUPPORT]

Heavy Support 1: 8 Devastators: 180pts
- 4 Heavy Bolters

DAKKA!

Heavy Support 2: 6 Devastators: 150pts
- 3 missile launchers

A bit of a weird unit. I like to call them a "Pocket Rocket" squad due to their smaller size and only 3 heavy weapons. Why like this? Well for one, it gives me one normal marine per heavy weapon, so they'll have to kill over 50% of the squad to start killing my missiles. Second, it saves me enough pts to include the speeder! I'm a lil worried about their small squad size, but with the 1-1 heavy weapon to bolter ratio they should keep going well enough if I get them a good piece of cover to sit in.

[hr]

[size=14pt]Army Total: 1498 OR 1493pts [/size]

[hr]
[hr]

The army is 1498 with the Tornado pattern Speeder and 1493 with just a melta

Overall, the plan is to form up a solid line with the devastators and tac squads on foot. The Drop Podders will appear where they are needed while the assault squad can counter-charge or spearhead an attack. The speeder will stick to cover and hopefully pick off some sort of vehicle with it's melta, and just generally make itself a real nuisance! The Termies will act as somewhat of a "Floater" unit. They can take their place on the line from the start of the game and make use of the captain's Rites of Battle rule. Or they can deep strike in off the assault sarge's tele homer
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2007, 15:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: We have our heading! 1500pts of Stonecutters gearing up for a tourney!

Woo Astro!

Glad to see the termis made it into the list.

One quick note for squad #3 you forgot to list the drop pod!

Its an interesting idea to give the two "gunline units" true grit, have you playtested that and found its worth the points? I can see it being handy against things like gaunts, but against more serious combat troops it will matter a little less.

For fast attack I think i'd grab the flamer. Looks like it could come in handy once, but no matter what happens the speeder will probably be a "one shot" unit.
Overall looks solid I can't think of any serious overhauls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2007, 15:42   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: We have our heading! 1500pts of Stonecutters gearing up for a tourney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstead
Woo Astro!

Glad to see the termis made it into the list.

One quick note for squad #3 you forgot to list the drop pod!

Its an interesting idea to give the two "gunline units" true grit, have you playtested that and found its worth the points? I can see it being handy against things like gaunts, but against more serious combat troops it will matter a little less.

For fast attack I think i'd grab the flamer. Looks like it could come in handy once, but no matter what happens the speeder will probably be a "one shot" unit.
Overall looks solid I can't think of any serious overhauls.
About the true grit, that's exactly what I was thinking. Even gaunts will likely be troublesome if they haven't been whittled down enough. The idea is that they would be able to mop up the survivors of assault units in combat. That way I'm less likely to have to unload an entire squad into the last survivor(s) of a unit as I know that my line troops could very easily bring them down in the first round of combat. Hopefully this will keep them from being stuck in combat with the last remnants of units and able to keep shooting. I've had a few good experiences with True Grit units or ones that essentially have True Grit (chaos marines, kroot) and the counter attack skill that comes with it will probably make it even better. I just hope no one figures out how to turn counter attack against me...

And don't worry, I know the speeder will probably be on a one way mission. I just like to have something relatively cheap that I can use to sneak up on indirect firing stuff. I got hooked on fast moving melta weapons running fusion piranhas with my tau

Thanks for the advice man. I should probably get back to painting now...
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote