Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Want to try mech. which codex to use?
Old 01 Oct 2007, 05:49   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Want to try mech. which codex to use?

I'd like to make a nice shooty mech marine list. Different from my assaulty templar. I have plenty of razorbacks and rhinos from my 3rd edition lists and I have pretty much shelved them in 4th. I am still not convinced they are worthwhile, but the new DA and BA codexes seem to have breathed some life into them. So I was going to use them, but am not convinced that the DA lists is any better than a vanilla list with some traits. So I am looking for some feedback. I'd like to build a 1750 list from roughly what is below. I'd like opinions on whether it'd be more effective/competitive to build from C:SM or CA (or even something else?)

chaplain with jumppack
a couple las/plas style squads or combat squads in razorbacks
one or two rhino squads for rapidfiring and assaulting weak enemies
a couple of tornados
an assault squad (to go with chappy)
a whirlwind
a pair of preds

I like the cheap DA RBs, rhinos and Preds, but the combat squads will cost more (since I need squads of 10 and some options are more spendy like powerfists and lascannons) and so will the tornados and assault marines. And the DA ICs just are not as hard in CC and cost more. But regular marines can get traits like cleanse and purify to bolster those rapid fire squads. And more and cheaper tornados (though I think I only want a pair).
In the past I have constantly ranted against marine armor, but I want to give it a try and see if I can get some use from those old models of mine. Any thoughts and opinions on the list and codex choices would be appreciated.
Old 04 Oct 2007, 03:29   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190
Default Re: Want to try mech. which codex to use?

I would say go for the 'Nilla Marines, as with them you can still have your rushing squads, but the Las/plas squads will be cheeper.

My $.02
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Oct 2007, 18:51   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to LordAbsol

First decide wether or not it is the ruls for the chapter that you like, of if it is the theme and look of the models.

Compare the seperate dex with a chapter from the main dex with traits. From the on I would create an armie that would fit to both dexies, playtest both lists and Chosse from then.?

Hope this helps.
[/td]
[td]
Vote for Tau Online[br]Before me grasp does drain thy life, I pray thee, Beg of thy God for their forgivness, for only then will me grasp upon you siece. [br]
Can you see this this!!!!! WORD
[/td]
[td]

[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]
LordAbsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Oct 2007, 23:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamators Sargant
First decide wether or not it is the ruls for the chapter that you like, of if it is the theme and look of the models.

Compare the seperate dex with a chapter from the main dex with traits. From the on I would create an armie that would fit to both dexies, playtest both lists and Chosse from then.?

Hope this helps.
I have my models. I have a DIY chapter that I have been using as a templar crusade, but it could very easily be a codex list or a DA successor.
Trying both is not a bad idea, but I don't want to have to build and rebuild squads so I am trying to decide which would be the most efficient to build with. For my original list C:SM is probably a bit more usefull, but I am interested in trying out some of the special DA rules (ravenwing, deathwing) along with a mech list.
So I think iwill probably start out as a C:SM list and if/when I decide to add some Ravenwing switch to DA.
A third option I considered was to make a Renegade list and use the chaos codex and create a recently renegade chapter. I could use my razorbacks to represent rhinos with havoc launchers. But speeders and whirlwind would be out. I could mix in some of the shiny new chaos units though.
Old 08 Oct 2007, 00:25   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

I'd seriously consider some Attack Bikes if you want Shooty Mech.

I was going to say it has to be the Vanilla list for the best Mech. But Blood Angels get those Assault Squads as Troops, you get free Death Company that can also have Jump Packs. It will leave you some nice fast attack slots for those Speeders you want. Besides, Baal Preds are AWESOME. The amount of times I've wished I could have one for my Salamanders.
Old 20 Oct 2007, 04:07   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arguleon-veq
I'd seriously consider some Attack Bikes if you want Shooty Mech.

I was going to say it has to be the Vanilla list for the best Mech. But Blood Angels get those Assault Squads as Troops, you get free Death Company that can also have Jump Packs. It will leave you some nice fast attack slots for those Speeders you want. Besides, Baal Preds are AWESOME. The amount of times I've wished I could have one for my Salamanders.
A friend of mine played a BA list similar you this. I really liked how it worked. I have pretty much dropped C:SM from the running, but the BA list took its place. So what I am doing is getting feedback on my lists and seeing if one or the other will fit into my ideas better.

Here is my DA list.
1750 Neo Dark Angels

Company Master w/ powerweapon

10 man vet squad 2x powerfist, 2x meltaguns
Las Raz

2x 10 man tactical squad fist, melta missle launcher
2x Las Raz

2x tornado

10 man dev 4x missle launcher
Las Raz
Whirlie
Pred with HB sponsons

41 men
8 vehicles
8-12 (usually 11-12) scoring units.

I actually really like how flexible this list is. And I love combat squads. They have quite a few combos that I could do with them. This list has alot of marines and some excellent shooting. It has some static units and some mobile ones. And I think the vets backed up by the master can pack a good punch in CC. And at 10 strong I can split them up to cover more area if need be and load them up (+master) in the Razorback.

I have been looking into ravenwing/deathwing combos as well. I noticed a pretty good thread developing on them and am watching how it progresses.
Old 31 Oct 2007, 10:27   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Go and Download the Blood Angels Codex off the GW site

We make *awesome* mech lists.

Assault squads as troops.
Our assault squads have the option to drop JPs and get a free Rhino (which means if someone shoots it up, they get no points for it ;-) )

Our Rhinos also have overcharged Englines, meaning you roll a d6, on a 1, no move this round, 2-3 it moves normal. 4+ it moves and shoots as a Fast vehicle (so we can really rush up on them)

Assault squads can also get two or three special weapons (plaspistols and sarge options) in a 5 man squad. They also come with a discounted death company model

Veteran Assault Squads can also get free rhinos, and they have some awesome weapon options and only cost 10 more points than a regular assualt squad (but come with 2 attacks. Fantastic value)

Plus our razorbacks are pretty cheap if you want to lug around tacticals or honour guard.

Plus we get attack bike squads. 50 points buys you an attack bike with a multimelta or a heavy bolter. You can field a bunch of the little bastards for a relatively low cost.

Plus, of course, Baal predators.

Seriously, look into Blood Angels
Galahad_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote