Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

first attempt at a blood angels list
Old 15 Aug 2007, 10:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default first attempt at a blood angels list

i have been toying with the idea of starting a new army and i happened upon the blood angels codex pdf (http://uk.games-workshop.com/news/er...gels-codex.pdf

this is what i came up with for 2000 points

HQ - Chaplain with jump pack - 120pts

HQ - Chaplain with jump pack - 120pts

10 death company, all with jump packs - 260pts (only 3 of them are free)

Elites - 10 Man Veteran Assault Squad - 3 with powerfists - 350pts

Elites - Furioso dreadnought - death company, venerable, extra armour, heavy flamer, drop pod - 215pts

Troops - tactical squad - 10men, lascannon, melta gun, powerfist, rhino - 285pts

Troops - tactical squad - 10men, lascannon, melta gun, powerfist, rhino - 285pts

no fast attack

Heavy Support - Baal Predator, heavy bolter sponsons, extra armour - 140

Heavy Support - Baal Predator, heavy bolter sponsons, extra armour - 140

Heavy support - Predator, autocannon (no upgrades) - 70

(i had 70 points spare and the predator seems a good deal )

Current plan is to hide the assault troops behind the vehicles for turn 1/2 (enemy infiltrators/movement depending) and jump over them into assault. 1 chaplain attached to each assault unit. the vehicles all overcharge forward for the first turn (and can still fire i believe) and provide a nice screen for my other elements.
rhinos find a vantage point to use the lascannons from (i will personally slap anyone who disallows fire/access points on rhinos) and the dreadnought deepstrikes as near the enemy as possible, uses the drop pod for cover from as many anti-tank weapons as it can and flames the squad it landed near and charges them in the turn after.

im sure all that will go to hell once i start playing but meh

any hints/ideas (am i being over-zealous using vet assault marines in a squad that size and with that many special weapons, they do cost a fortune)

edit - oops!!, noticed i was 10 points over so i gave the vet assault unit 3 powerfists instead of lightning claws (now i have 5 points spare : )

edit again- oops!!, i pointed my chaplains up wrong - they should be 120pts each so i wasnt over by any points :
Old 16 Aug 2007, 13:32   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: first attempt at a blood angels list

OK here is a few things. Most things I will mention will be difference in playstyle.

HQ Two Chaplins can be strong. By assualt troops do you mean Death Company and Veterians? I will assume so. This is a very good strategy. I would try to find a way to cut 5 points out of my army to change one Chaplin with Chaplin LeMartes. For 5 more points you get a whole lot of goodness.

Elite The Dred is very nice. I had one in my army for a while. I never placed him in a drop pod but it should work out nicely for you.

Troops: Looks like a nice anti-armour squad. I dont play with heavy weapons. Carry over from the old codex. Remember, if the Rhino moves then the squad inside is treated as moving so no firing the Lascannon from inside the Rhino if it moved.

Heavy: I LOVE the Baal Preds. I run with two in my 1850 list. I also like to add the stormbolter to them as well. 10 points for two more shots hmmm not bad not good just hmm.

Heavy: Preditor with only a autocannon. I dont like this. I understand you had 70 points to fill but you are paying 70 points for 2 shots a turn, and is only ok against light armour. I would either add the heavy bolte sponsions, or the Lascannon sponsions. Let it be either anti tank or anti troop. As is its anti- nothing. Granted I would not worry about targeting it until late in the game, so it could survive to claim a table corner.

A few things I would change. Rember this is mainly just my playstyle.

I would change up the vet squad. Its too many points in one squad. It just screams bullet magnet. I would mabye remove a few if not all of the powerfist and make them power swords. That would save you 30 points right there.

I would also consider removing the power fist from the tact suads and using those points for either the Lascannons on the Preditor or the Heavy Bolters. You can still give your Vet Sargets Melta Bombs.

All in all not a bad list.
JBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2007, 07:50   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

many thanks, i have changed the list quite a bit now.

how about this:

HQ - Chaplain Lemartes - 125pts

10 Death Company (4 free) - all with Jump Packs - 230pts

Elites - 8 man Vet Assault Squad - 2 power Weapons, Flamer - 260pts

Elites - 8 man Vet Assault Squad - 2 powerfists - 275pts

Elites - Furioso Dreadnought - Heavy Flamer, Death Company, Venerable, Extra Armour, Drop Pod - 215pts

Troops - 10 man Tactical Squad - Lascannon, meltagun, Power Weapon, Rhino - 275pts

Troops - 10 man Tactical Squad - Lascannon, meltagun, Power Weapon, Rhino - 275pts

no fast attacks

Heavy Support - Baal Predator - Heavy Bolter Sponsons - 125pts

Heavy Support - Baal Predator - Heavy Bolter Sponsons - 125pts

Heavy Support - Predator - Heavy bolter Sponsons - 95pts

total - 2000pts

That looks pretty cool to me ^-^

any thoughts ;D
Old 17 Aug 2007, 14:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yeah it looks pretty strong. Of course you will probly make several more changes after you some games under your belt with this list. I know my army has changed two or three times since the codex came out.

You just have to play around until you find the list that you are comfortable with.

Good Luck gaming.
Old 17 Aug 2007, 16:16   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Couple things on the Vet Squads.

I believe that they MUST be either five or ten man Teams.

I'd also suggest a Pair of Lightening claws (Possibly two or more for vets) for a powerful IC detterant. (Spelling? I know people hate it when spelling sucks...)

A suggestiong would be to take two ten man Vet squads.

Add Flamers to them. (A great assault weapon. Many people hate flamers, but the fact that you can possibly wound a template worth of troops and then assault is actually quite nice.)

Add AT LEAST a pair of Lit Claws to each Squad.

Powerfists to me are meh, Seeing as their rule about striking last can often leave the rest of the squad vunerable when facing some of the tougher oppnents of 40k... But I wil admit that they are great for facing down some of the nastier Daemons and C'tan...

Also, Take a Master with Lit Claws or a Power weapon and plasma Pistol, and a Jump Pack. I personally have a DA Master with Lit Claws, A Stormbolter, A Plasma Pistol, and a Jump pack.

Take a Command Squad. BA Command squads can be extremely deadly, what with having a tech adept, Emporer's Champion, Apothecary(Sanguinary priest), Standard Bearer AND the option to take assault weapons, Power weapons, Etc. to make them a nasty little Deep strike. Given the fact that they can all be equipped with Jump packs at 25 ppm? I'd take it in a second.

As for the troops? This is BA we're talking about, right? Assault troops. Take them. Gives you free Death Company to play around with.

Alright, I've said my piece. Good luck with the new army.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
I want someone to make a plushie out of that... for no particular reason whatsoever. :shifty:
AngelofReason777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2007, 02:41   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The Vet Squad can be 5-10. All of the other have to be either 5 or 10. Also The Vet squad does not have Combat squads.

Also both Tact and Assualt squads gives you free Death Comp Models.
Old 20 Aug 2007, 10:45   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

i am in the majority that sees combat squads as a massive handicap in the vast majority of cases.

yes i used to use the las/plas combo - but with 8 men (8!!!).

i cannot see a purpose in a 5 man squad when i have to think twice about charging tau/guard into close combat due to their superior numbers (this includes honour guard).

the only purpose i have ever used combat squads for is to split up devastator squads to get 2 lines of sight.

i like powerfists becasue they help me deal with nidzilla armies or chaos nasties etc.

i might hange the list around a little and have one squad for anti-infantry (with 3 flamers and a power weapon) and the other with 3 powerfists for taking out nasties that i cant get the death company to in time.