Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Help Starting Space Marines
Old 30 Jul 2007, 14:43   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Help Starting Space Marines

Hi all,

A friend of mine is taking the Space Marines in the BFM starter set and has created his own chapter, the Barren Sentries. I know little specifics on the SMurfs and can't really provide as much help as some of you mroe experienced players can.

Currently he has:

1 Chaplain

1 Librarian

1 Sergeant with Bolter Pistol and Chainsword

10 Space Marines with Bolters

1 Space Marine with Flamer

1 Space Marine with Missile Launcher

1 Space Marine with Multi-Melta

He'd like to have about 1,000 points, and he wants to purchase some Terminators (Assault or generic), Assault Marines, Devestators, and a Dreadnaught.

I've thought up various lists using some or all of these units, but I have no clue about effectiveness. Any help on lists using these various units would be appreciated. Thanks!
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2007, 20:10   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Help Starting Space Marines

He'll need either another tactical squad or some scouts first, he only has one troops choice right now. If he had one more marine he could have a minimised squad with a muli-melta, but Multi-meltas in infantry aren't a good idea in my opinion.

They have the same range as a bolter, and you'd have to be a total idiot to get a tank close to that squad. They are much better mounted on fast things that can move and fire.

I'm really not sure what he can do with what he has now, but when he gets that assault squad options open up. One of the coolest is Libby with familiar, jump pack, might of heroes; and a sarge with a powerfist. on the charge the squad is getting a truckload of attacks already, and with might of heroes either the I 6 Libby is getting up to 7 attacks, or the powerfist sarge is. Not much can take a beating like that. He can also put the Chaplin with them to re-roll misses. Both units are pretty devastating.

One maneuver he'll need to know is the bread and butter of some marine players, the bolter trap. Lets say your tyranids(I know you have those droids) end their fleet of foot between 12-18" away from a tactical squad. The next turn he can move up and fire twice as many shots ah would've standing still. Very simple, but sometimes hard to pull off.

I wish the dev box came with four weapons, as it is it almost comes with two of each type. They are nice sources for heavy weapons, if he sticks them in cover they'll be very hard to dislodge.

Tanarin wrote an excellent article on Dreads, found here.
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=49237.0
That'll be much more helpful than me.

Termies are difficult to use, as the only way to get them where they need to be quickly is to either deep strike or take a crusader. Deep stiking can be made a little less risky with teleport homers. They can rip an army apart, but a minimised squad is 200pts. In 1000pts, that's one fifth of the army in one squad. They also tend to attract a lot of fire.

Can't believe he doesn't want a whirlwind, I love mine.

By the way droids, did you get the 'nids out of that box?

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2007, 22:46   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Help Starting Space Marines

That's for the helpful post.

First off, we are already looking at buying a single metal SMurf to fill in that last spot, giving him either 3 minimized squads (helpful for small battles - more scoring units) or one full and one minimized. About the Multi-Melta, a Rhino is considered.

I'll tell him about giving the Chap or Libby a Jump Pack, it sounds like a good idea to me.

The Bolter trap sounds devestating. I'll be sure to tell him, and try to avoid it myself.

I didn't say he didn't want s Whirlwind, it's just not on his list of priorities right now, maybe 1,500 points.

And, finally, yes, I started my Tyranids with this set.

Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote