Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1500pts, Tournoment list for friend. Tournoment is on this saturday.
Old 22 Jul 2007, 02:42   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default 1500pts, Tournoment list for friend. Tournoment is on this saturday.

Alright, I want you help on a list for my friend. Understand that I do not have acess to certain models, in particular some cliche combos.

So here's the list

HQ

Librarian, Jump pack, Iron Halo, Plasma Pistol, Teleport Homer, Second Psychic power(Fear of Darkness or Might of Heroes)-215pts

ELITES

Dreadnaught, Heavy Flamer-115pts

Assault Terminator Squad-5 men-200pts

TROOPS

First Tactical Squad-10 men, Missile Launcher, Flamer-166pts

Second Tactical Squad-10 men, Lascannon, Plasma Gun, Veteran Sargeant, Power weapon-200pts

Third Tactical Squad-5 men, Meltagun, Razorback with Lascannons-175pts

Scout squad-5 men-65pts

FAST ATTACK

Assault Squad-5 men, Plasma Pistol-115pts

Heavy Support

Whirlwind-85pts

Devastators-8 men, four Heavy Bolters-180pts

I'm 16 pts over and need to know what to dump. I can't dump either of the two large tactical squads or what i in them(Except the power weapon)due to those being the only models that are his and he wants to use them. Same thing with the Razorback, Dread and Terminators except they're mine. He also likes the Libby, but I think he can live without the plasma pistol.

I don't have a Chaplin, Pred, Land Raider, Vindicator, Land Speeders, Attack Bikes, Scout bikes, Drop Pods, Heavy Bolter Razorbacks, Techmarines, or Sargeants with powerfists. Don't suggest them because I don't have them, maybe later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2007, 04:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: 1500pts, Tournoment list for friend. Tournoment is on this saturday.

Y'know I'll just drop the flamer and the meltagun. Thanks a lot for the help, I can only wonder at what you guys can do with another week.

A mod can lock this now, seeing as I'm not going to get any help anytime soon.

Quote:
Quote:
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Old 27 Jul 2007, 05:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: 1500pts, Tournoment list for friend. Tournoment is on this saturday.

Hey there pal, slow down a second...

The jump pack Librarian I am not a fan of, it's a huge point sink and a chaplain could do better for cheaper.

The Dreadnought is fine except for the heavy flamer, I would rather have a storm bolter and some extra armor if I were advancing instead of drop podding...

Walking Assault Termies are a bad idea, but in a 1500 point game what are you gonna do, right?

Drop the flamer from Tac squad 1
Drop the power weapon from Tac squad 2
Tac squad 3 is fine although you could add one more marine just to beef it out a little

Assault Squad is a bit small, 5 men is not going to make it across the field unless they concentrate all firepower on the terminators...

Whirlwind is fine

Devastators are fine, good long range weapons and a lot of them!

Hope I helped :-\

How can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

how can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
Well we probably didn't figure out that decapitation resulted in death until someone lopped another guy's head off. And now people take care not to let sword waving lunatics near their neck
Terminatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2007, 05:21   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Just because no one responds to a misspelled thread over the course of five days doesn't mean no veterans were unwilling to offer their support.

For starters, you have a list that is essentially, a load of jumbled units that fail to support each other properly. For example: Assault terminators are a major points sink unless they are riding in a LRC, which would wipe out a lot of available points.

-Your HQ is awesome if attached to your Assault Squad (which would want the Powerfist over the Plasma Pistol any day) although I would opt for the Veil of Time or Might of Heroes Psychic Power in this case.

-Your Dred needs a way to get to the battlefield without getting torn to pieces-purchase a Drop Pod for him!

-For the termies, well, I would recommend you purchase a regular squad with either two Assault Cannons or Typhoon MLs. They'll be much more supportive of your Troops.

-Don't kit out your first Tac squad to have a short range weapon and a long range weapon. You'll never use both in the same turn realistically. I would turn that flamer into a plasmagun.

-Take out the Veteran upgrade and power weapon; a ranged squad has no intention of getting into CC, make it stay that way.

-The third Tactical squad is good except Lascannons on a Razorback are a waste; HBs are better, cheaper and less of a target thus ensuring your squad lives that much longer.

-Just take out the Scouts entirely, you'll need the points for other things.

-The Whirlwind is a nice touch, make sure to support it with your ranged tactical squads and Devastators, which are impeccable.
Frogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2007, 07:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Sorry, my friend's a bit impatient and has been sending me emails daily to see if I have his list done. I haven't made him do it himself is because he's new, and really doesn't know what he's doing. That's why I ran it through you guys.

Unfortunately, there are some things he refuses to take out of the list, no matter how ineffective I tell him they are. The 90 point brick known as the Razorback is one of them, as are the point-sink Terminators, Librarian of doom, and Dawn of War style Dreadnaught. I cannot convince him that these need to go in order to be an effective list. As for the Flamer, I'll convert that into a plasmagun like I did the other one.

Most of his experience from 40k come from DoW, the most tabletop experience he's had is a few combat patrol games and one 1,000 point game. He knows the basics, but not much else. As much as I'd like him to sit this tournament out so he can watch and learn, he seems determined to go through the school of hard knocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminatus
Hey there pal, slow down a second...

The jump pack Librarian I am not a fan of, it's a huge point sink and a chaplain could do better for cheaper.

The Dreadnought is fine except for the heavy flamer, I would rather have a storm bolter and some extra armor if I were advancing instead of drop podding...

Walking Assault Termies are a bad idea, but in a 1500 point game what are you gonna do, right?

Drop the flamer from Tac squad 1
Drop the power weapon from Tac squad 2
Tac squad 3 is fine although you could add one more marine just to beef it out a little

Assault Squad is a bit small, 5 men is not going to make it across the field unless they concentrate all firepower on the terminators...

Whirlwind is fine

Devastators are fine, good long range weapons and a lot of them!

Hope I helped :-\
The Teleport homer is on that Libby, I told him what they do and he's in love with the Idea. I've told him the some thing about the assault squad, he's not to run it up the center, but stick to hiding behind terrain and jumping on a flank. If I can borrow a friend's drop pod I could use that, as I have none of my own(and Pluming pipes don't fit my image of a drop pod). The tac squad options are changing(Conversions ahoy!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogger
Just because no one responds to a misspelled thread over the course of five days doesn't mean no veterans were unwilling to offer their support.

For starters, you have a list that is essentially, a load of jumbled units that fail to support each other properly. For example: Assault terminators are a major points sink unless they are riding in a LRC, which would wipe out a lot of available points.

-Your HQ is awesome if attached to your Assault Squad (which would want the Powerfist over the Plasma Pistol any day) although I would opt for the Veil of Time or Might of Heroes Psychic Power in this case.

-Your Dred needs a way to get to the battlefield without getting torn to pieces-purchase a Drop Pod for him!

-For the termies, well, I would recommend you purchase a regular squad with either two Assault Cannons or Typhoon MLs. They'll be much more supportive of your Troops.

-Don't kit out your first Tac squad to have a short range weapon and a long range weapon. You'll never use both in the same turn realistically. I would turn that flamer into a plasmagun.

-Take out the Veteran upgrade and power weapon; a ranged squad has no intention of getting into CC, make it stay that way.

-The third Tactical squad is good except Lascannons on a Razorback are a waste; HBs are better, cheaper and less of a target thus ensuring your squad lives that much longer.

-Just take out the Scouts entirely, you'll need the points for other things.

-The Whirlwind is a nice touch, make sure to support it with your ranged tactical squads and Devastators, which are impeccable.
The scouts really were there to take points and put bodies on the field, he didn't care so long as he got his Terminators. Speaking of which, I have no assault cannons, someone stole the bit from my box. If I can take the arm off my Assault Squad sargeant and Replace It with the powerfist from the Devastator squad, I should have that as well. I may as well do it as it's suggested so often. I'd write up a second list for critiquing, but he has my codex. I'll have to go to his house and post it from his computer.

Just keep in mind I'm not going to be the one using this list, a rookie is. I'm trying to give the list plenty of room for mistakes. The list you saw was written up fairly late at night, thus the lack of good choices.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 27 Jul 2007, 13:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

So, you post a list up that needs fixing and then refuse to edit any of the proposed changes because your friend likes the models? I hope your friend likes losing as much as he does his foot slogging Assault Terminators...
Old 27 Jul 2007, 16:53   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogger
So, you post a list up that needs fixing and then refuse to edit any of the proposed changes because your friend likes the models? I hope your friend likes losing as much as he does his foot slogging Assault Terminators...
I don't expect him to. He's going to have to learn that this isn't Mageknight and isn't a game where the person with the most powerful models wins. He seems dead set on learing it the hard way.

I am changing the Tactical squads and assault squads; and removing the scout squad. The Termies aren't footslogging, they are teleporting next to the Libby. Granted, they will be footslogging if they come in on turn two. If I can borrow a drop pod, the Dred will be coming in that way as you suggested.

Here's a second draft, points costs are from memory.

HQ
Librarian, Jump pack, Iron Halo, Plasma Pistol, Teleport Homer, Might of Heroes, Familiar-225pts

ELITE
Assault Terminator Squad-200pts(will be deep striking)

Dreadnaught, Heavy Flamer, Drop pod-145pts

Troops

Tactical Squad one
10 men, missile launcher, plasmagun-170pts

Tactical Squad two
10 men, Lascannon, plasmagun-175pts

Tactical Squad three
5 men, meltagun-85pts
Razorback, lascannons-90pts

FAST ATTACK
Assault squad
5 men, plasma pistol, veteran sargeant, powerfist-145

Heavy Support
Whirlwind-85pts

Devastators
8 men, four heavy bolters-180pts

It comes out to exactly 1500.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 29 Jul 2007, 16:38   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

That list is a lot better than the first, how did your friend fare?
Old 30 Jul 2007, 01:26   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

The tournament did not happen, too few people. Three showed up, me, my friend, and a dark angels player. I took advantage of the opportunity and played a few games against him. He won, the mission was everything deep strikes and I got Isolated. Since it was a friendly game i allowed his termies to stay on the board(Even though they were off), while the much more experience DA player gave him advice.

He learned the razorback is an expensive fire magnet and to stay away from railguns. He is willing to drop it, especially after I told him it costs as much as a six man squad.

He liked the Libby, despite the fact I made him priority one. He didn't get into assault, but that was due to the oddball mission. I told him that in a normal game he should stick him with the assault squad, stick to cover due to the squad size, and use the psychic power to boot either the Libby's now I 6 power weapon attacks, or the sarge's powerfist attacks depending on the target.

He learned that termies are slow, and should be used as liebreakers rather than to kill small units of weak infantry. A squad of fire warriors isn't worth being stuck out in the open with all those guns in your face.

The dread didn't go too well, has to learn that when you drop something like that next to anti-tank guns, said guns have a new target.

He used his tactical squads fairly well, although he needs to learn that even marines need to take cover.

the small tac squad did nothing, he didn't even move it. He didn't place much value on the meltagun.

The assault squad did well, taking out a crisis team.

He liked both heavy choices, particularly the Devs. Cranking out 12 shots a turn was something he really enjoyed. He didn't do a whole lot with the Whirlwind, but he did like being able to fire over terrain.

He enjoyed the game, even if a good 75% of his army was my minis.

However he has a little brother, one who likes to break things. So I had to repair some of his stuff before we had our game. I converted a second plasmagun, so that the squad is WYSIWYG.

They are having a make-up tornoment next week, as this one was dissapointing.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 30 Jul 2007, 01:52   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

He's fortunate to have you as a mentor. He'll learn all your tricks eventually, it's happening to my brother right now...