Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

2000 pts Blood Ravens - Please Review
Old 10 Jul 2007, 03:40   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default 2000 pts Blood Ravens - Please Review

Hi everyone,

Even though I donít actually play Space Marines, I really like the Blood Ravens (if it wasnít Tau, it woulda been these guys for sure) and came up with this list while playing around with the GW army builder.

The two things that attracted me the most to the Blood Ravens were the ability to infiltrate serious firepower, while still packing a considerable wallop up close with True Grit*. Iíve tried to include bits of both in this list. Therefore, Iím really curious as to how viable this list may be, how it would behave, and what strengths and weaknesses it may have. Itís intended to be an all-comers list, perhaps with a slight tilt towards anti-mechanized armies.

Please share your thoughts. Remember, I donít actually own any Marines, so I'm just here to learn.

HQ:

Chapter Librarian w. Command Squad (6x Marines, 1x Sergeant)
- Codicer w. Bolt Pistol, Force Weapon, Frag Grenades Might of Heroes and Terminator Honors
- Sergeant w. Bolter, Frag Grenades, Terminator Honors and Powerfist
- 6x Marines w. Bolters, Frag Grenades and Plasma Gun
- Infiltrate, True Grit + Counter Attack
- 314 pts
[size=8pt]I kinda wanted to have fluffy unit that was real choppy, but could hang back and shoot as well if needed. Besides, I've already filled my troops selections with shooty units.[/size]

Chapter Chaplain
- Reclusiarch w. Bolt Pistol, Crozius Arcanum, Frag Grenades, Jump Pack and Terminator Honors
- 122 pts
[size=8pt]Goes with ASMs, of course[/size]

Troops:

Tactical Squad (MissilePlas)
- 8x Marines w. Bolters, Plasma Gun and Missile Launcher
- True Grit + Counter Attack
-164 pts
[size=8pt]I do want make an infiltration list, but donít want to overdo it, you know? As the 1st unit to deploy, I think this unit can still counter any one enemy HS choice just as easily as an actual infiltrator. I guess they could act as a visual anchor to help me to work out my infiltration plan, and is okay in assault (i.e.: TG&CA makes them a little tougher to charge)Ö I wonder if it should have a Lascannon instead though. Thoughts?[/size]

3x Tactical Squad (LasPlas)
- 6x Marines w. Bolters, Plasma Gun and Lascannon
- Infiltrate
- 133 pts
[size=8pt]Theyíre cheap and efficient, and should be pretty effective infiltrated vs. heavy infantry and vehicles. My heavy use of expensive traits should help offset the 'cheesy, ultra-efficiency' of these guys though, right?
NOTE: I got three of 'em right now.
[/size]

Tactical Squad (MissilePlas)
- 6x Marines w. Bolters, Plasma Gun and Missile Launcher
- Infiltrate
- 128 pts
[size=8pt]This seems like a nice little unit to pit against anything. I feel like I could benefit from swapping LCs from one of the LasPlas with the ML in the non-infiltrator to make another one of these.[/size]

Scout Squad (Sniper)
- 6x Scout Marines w. Heavy Bolter and Sniper Rifles
- 108 pts
[size=8pt]Infantry & MC suppressionÖ Plus free infiltrate![/size]

Fast Attack:

Assault Squad
- Sergeant w. Bolt Pistol, Power Fist and Terminator Honors
- 7x Marines w. Bolt Pistol, C.C.Ws and Plasma Pistols
- 216 pts

Bike Squadron
- 5x Bikes w. T-L Bolters, Frag Grenades and Meltaguns
- Attack Bike w. T-L Bolter and Multi-Melta
- 281 pts

Land Speeder Squadron (Tornado)
- 1x Landspeeder w. Assault Cannon and Heavy Bolter
- 80 pts

[size=8pt]Just thought Iíd need plenty of mobile units to support my infiltrated, but otherwise static troops. Again, dun wanna overkill, but dunno how much Iíll need.[/size]

Heavy Support:

Devastator Squad
- 8x Marines w. Bolters and 4x Missile Launchers
- Infiltrate
- 224 pts
[size=8pt]The concept of infiltrating heavy firepower was one of the key attractions for me to the Blood Ravens. These guys kinda exemplify that, I think. Again, feel free to rip at them if you think theyíre not actually a good choice.[/size]

Total: 2000 pts

Thank you very much.

[size=9pt]*I know you lose the charge bonus with True Grit, but since my Marines still get the 2x CCW bonus, it evens out, right? Just wanted to clear up some confusion.[/size]

- Abdul Alhazred, The Mad Arab of Cthulhu Lore, on the subject of Chaos Tau [link]

"Zomg, teh Tau are teh evil bastardz, they suk at life."
copy and paste this into your sig if you hate Tau.

Proud member of Team CMAP - DON'T HOLD BACK- The time has come to- GALVANIZE!
Floobosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jul 2007, 00:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to captain_octavain
Default Re: 2000 pts Blood Ravens - Please Review

Quote:
Chapter Librarian w. Command Squad (6x Marines, 1x Sergeant)
- Codicer w. Bolt Pistol, Force Weapon, Frag Grenades Might of Heroes and Terminator Honors
- Sergeant w. Bolter, Frag Grenades, Terminator Honors and Powerfist
- 6x Marines w. Bolters, Frag Grenades and Plasma Gun
- Infiltrate, True Grit + Counter Attack
- 314 pts
I kinda wanted to have fluffy unit that was real choppy, but could hang back and shoot as well if needed. I guess this unit might work as a good combat shield for the other infiltrators?
This is a major point sink only keep it if you wanna infiltrate your codicer....
I would Throw away the command squad and get a cheap squad riding in a razorback/rhino and include the codicer in that squad or throw him in your non infiltrating squad.........

I think the rest of the list if good although some people might not like the bikes in there, I personally do.
for preserving my rights
to live and die for this life
and paying the ultimate price for me to be...FREE!
captain_octavain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2007, 14:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thanks for your reply, Far_Sh0t. I wonder where all the other Marines have gone... must be planning for the campaign..

Well anyway, I guess the command squad is a bit of a points-sink.. however, I've already filled my entire troops section with shooters, and still felt like I needed an assaulty squad to protect them. Since I'm using my traits so heavily, I thought I'd be short on shooty marines if I didn't max out my troops with them, especially if facing nids or pure shooty marines. I wanted to pack as many MEqs into the list as possible, just for resilience... since other marine lists will probably still out-number me by quite a lot.

Also, playing my buddy vector (who plays BRs), I noticed that he's often forced to use his ASMs/fast units to attack, esp against mobile armies like my Tau. While I don't know if that'll be the case @ 2000pts, I figured if I could afford them, then why not? This is why I put in the bikes + landspeeder too, because a)they're fast b)have the firepower to head off anything that escapes the ASMs (I'd take more ASMs, but their anti-tank isn't as good, and I only got one chaplain). With all these fast attack choices playing offence, I thought I'd might as well put in an assaulty infiltrator in for good measure, which could either hang back, shoot & counter-charge; or charge in and attack if the opportunity arose.

Anyways, I guess I'll keep trying then. Thanks for the help so far.

- Abdul Alhazred, The Mad Arab of Cthulhu Lore, on the subject of Chaos Tau [link]

"Zomg, teh Tau are teh evil bastardz, they suk at life."
copy and paste this into your sig if you hate Tau.

Proud member of Team CMAP - DON'T HOLD BACK- The time has come to- GALVANIZE!
Floobosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jul 2007, 02:23   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to captain_octavain

ooh I thought you had 5 troops, my bad.... here are some other unit suggestions I don't have my codex so I don't know if you will be able to afford them or not but w/e (point wise)

Techmarine
full servo harness 4 heavy bolter servitors- great support squad and the tech marine is a great cc support

5-6 terminators
1/2 assault cannons -terminators are terminators.......

or another devastator squad

I might also throw a vet with a power fist/sword in your squads also

if you need points drop the scout squad or a bike or two, they are you most expendable units imo...
for preserving my rights
to live and die for this life
and paying the ultimate price for me to be...FREE!
captain_octavain is offline   Reply With Quote